PDA

View Full Version : Results of using Carsoft diagnostics with an early e34 535i

genphreak
02-17-2008, 06:22 AM
I've been reading my ECU's output using Carsoft 6.5.06.

Carsoft works for many types of BMW, and its full diagnostic test' tries to test for the correct operation of all systems (including some not relevant to the car it is connected to). A lot of the modern sub-systems don't exist on an e34 so where it tests one of these the test simply times out, complaining of 'No response' (which is a pain as there are some 13 odd systems that don't exist in the e34 that it has to test and time-out with).

So it is really better to test each system in turn. The only trouble is that the acronyms are all German... ie:

DME/DDE: Engine Management System
AB: Automatic Transmission
BC/MID: OBC
DWA: Anti Theft System
ZKE: Body Electronic System
HKL: Air Conditioning
EGS: Auto Gearbox Control Unit
EWS: Immobilizer System
When I ran it I got:

DME Status OK
BC/MID Status OK
HKL Status OK
EGS Status OK
Great, one might think!

However.... my Auto Transmission is showing 'Trans program' in the dash warning display (and is shifting hard into Reverse and has no forward power at all).

The rest of the tests resulted in Status: 'Module does not respond', even though Carsoft claims that it supports all the above functions on an e34.

I can also report;

- None of the live data functions work
- Service Interval Reset doesn't seem to work

I get the above results with the engine running. Perhaps they would be the same output with just the ignition on. However, I've tried the SI reset in almost every way with no luck at all.

I must be doing something wrong. Has anyone had better success with CarSoft or can lend me some advice?

Surely there is a way to download the ECU's stored history and/or error codes?

Many thanks in advance, Nick

genphreak
02-17-2008, 09:03 AM
Another thing... does anyone know how to download the error codes?

I can see how to reset each system... but nothing about reading the error codes. (Perhaps they are supposed to come up in the diagnostics, but all mine says is OK)... so I can't tell!

Tx in advance, :) Nick

myles
02-17-2008, 01:35 PM
I've had similar problems with carsoft 6.5. I've had better luck with 3.4, but it requires a different cable. It is good for some cars and not so good for others. I've used it on half a dozen cars and it works about 90% of the time. It has not worked with 94 525i ecu or a 96 318is abs.

To read the individual faults you need to choose the module to diagnose from the diagnose menu. I usually run the total diagnose to see which modules have faults and then diagnose the indivdual modules that show faults from the total diagnose.

Live data doesn't work with old beasts like ours. The SI reset wont work for me either (but does work on my e36). I do my tests with the igition on, but without the engine running.

Bellicose Right Winger
02-17-2008, 05:26 PM
Great report! Which cable/box are you using? Does it look like this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-interface-for-carsoft-6-5-obd1-obd2-obd-kits_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43989QQihZ009QQite mZ190199361045QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Paul S

whiskychaser
02-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Another thing... does anyone know how to download the error codes?

I can see how to reset each system... but nothing about reading the error codes. (Perhaps they are supposed to come up in the diagnostics, but all mine says is OK)... so I can't tell!

Tx in advance, :) Nick
I have 6.5 too. The error codes are supposed to come up together with suggestions as to where to look eg EGS code 16 comes up 'check turbocharger speed sensor'. Pretty good as thats what BMW told me too! Only my car doesnt have a turbo:D It has a TURBINE sensor in the gearbox and that was at fault. I cant read live data but I can reset service intervals etc. I found different versions of 6.5 didnt work. Of course we cant share the software because of copyright but if you PM me we could compare notes?

billy
02-17-2008, 06:23 PM
ODB1 cars are notoriously hard to interface to, to obtain any sort of usable data reliably and you certainly wont get live data.
The very last of the run E34s were ODB2 and of course all cars made after that.

The only thing that you should be able to get are fault codes and perhaps reset them, which of course you can do without any sort of interface using your dash 'Check Engine' indicator.

see if you can get your money back because its fairy useless for an early E34

whiskychaser
02-17-2008, 06:37 PM
you should be able to get fault codes and perhaps reset them, which of course you can do without any sort of interface using your dash 'Check Engine' indicator.

Fine if you have a US motor. Stomping doesnt work for EU or ZA(mine). My interface/carsoft does. And politely suggests where I might look to put it right:)

billy
02-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Fine if you have a US motor. Stomping doesnt work for EU or ZA(mine). My interface/carsoft does. And politely suggests where I might look to put it right:)
mines a uk car, you cant do the stomp test, but you can however put a bulb in the dash and it will flash a fault code, albeit constantly..

myles
02-18-2008, 03:31 AM

My ECE car can do a stomp test not problems at all. Its an original australian delivered car.

genphreak
02-18-2008, 06:14 AM
I've had similar problems with carsoft 6.5. I've had better luck with 3.4, but it requires a different cable. It is good for some cars and not so good for others. I've used it on half a dozen cars and it works about 90% of the time. It has not worked with 94 525i ecu or a 96 318is abs.

To read the individual faults you need to choose the module to diagnose from the diagnose menu. I usually run the total diagnose to see which modules have faults and then diagnose the indivdual modules that show faults from the total diagnose.

Live data doesn't work with old beasts like ours. The SI reset wont work for me either (but does work on my e36). I do my tests with the igition on, but without the engine running.Thanks guys. My car is a euro car so stomping on brake pedals (or antyhing else for that matter) simply doesn't work!!

I'll have to use my reset switch to do the dash lights. Will report if I can reset the modules that err (if I can get any of them to do so...)

Thanks for your notes... oh- and yes- the cable I have is similar to the one posted above, just that mine is in a anodized black box with two 2.5mm green LEDs and BMW Diagnostic Interface written on the top in a way that only the Chinese ripping stuff off can manage.

:) nick

ryan roopnarine
02-18-2008, 01:11 PM
please don't take me as condescending for saying this, but....
the problem you describe (slipping reverse) sounds like the common 4hp22 a-clutch issue, carsoft really isn't going to give you more insight if it is. winfred has the repair detailed on this board.

repenttokyo
02-18-2008, 02:26 PM
I can also report;

- None of the live data functions work
- Service Interval Reset doesn't seem to work

live data functions aren't going to work on an OBDI car...

whiskychaser
02-18-2008, 02:51 PM
mine is in a anodized black box with two 2.5mm green LEDs and BMW Diagnostic Interface written on the top in a way that only the Chinese ripping stuff off can manage.

Just a thought, but some of these boxes dont work properly unless you use a com port. And finding a laptop that still has one is a task on its own:)

Bellicose Right Winger
02-19-2008, 08:01 AM
Nick,
Shay shay...... Chinese for thank you.

It's good to know that these aftermarket parts work. Would you care to share your source for the cables / interface box? I'd like to avoid blazing a new trail and risking failure with unproved hardware.

Thanks,
Paul S

........oh- and yes- the cable I have is similar to the one posted above, just that mine is in a anodized black box with two 2.5mm green LEDs and BMW Diagnostic Interface written on the top in a way that only the Chinese ripping stuff off can manage.

:) nick

genphreak
02-21-2008, 08:07 AM
Just a thought, but some of these boxes dont work properly unless you use a com port. And finding a laptop that still has one is a task on its own:)Just get a second hand laptop (circa PIII-650MHz era) and it can have both. Real good when working on the car (its a lot less worry than a shiny powerbook if it falls on the floor..)

pcross
02-25-2008, 06:27 PM
I use the same carsoft program as OP with my 1994 525i and my friend's 1992 325i. I also use an older Dell Latitude laptop with a serial port. I have no problems using carsoft diagnostics. Live data does not work on OBD1 cars. I also have no problems with SI reset. If you do, for the OIL SERVICE reset, 1) turn your ignition key to RUN (don't start), then with a short piece of insulated wire, jump pins 7 and 19 on your 20-pin diagnostic connector for 5 seconds. For the SERVICE INTERVAL reset, jump the same pins for 12 seconds or more. If that doesn't work, jump the same pins BEFORE you turn the ignition on. I guarantee one of these procedures WILL work. Remember, 7 and 19 (ground). Jump the wrong pins and bring a hot dog to fry along with your electronics.

genphreak
03-01-2008, 06:36 AM
Sorry for the late reply...

I am using one just like this-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-BMW-Diagnostic-Interface-for-CARSOFT-6-1-6-5_W0QQitemZ290210204133QQihZ019QQcategoryZ30921QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Need to find some better software to run on it though, carsoft interface is not very comprehensive (tho an e34's software/comms is pretty basic)...

Just another reason to go Megasquirt...

:) Nick

genphreak
03-01-2008, 06:39 AM
I use the same carsoft program as OP with my 1994 525i and my friend's 1992 325i. I also use an older Dell Latitude laptop with a serial port. I have no problems using carsoft diagnostics. Live data does not work on OBD1 cars. I also have no problems with SI reset. If you do, for the OIL SERVICE reset, 1) turn your ignition key to RUN (don't start), then with a short piece of insulated wire, jump pins 7 and 19 on your 20-pin diagnostic connector for 5 seconds. For the SERVICE INTERVAL reset, jump the same pins for 12 seconds or more. If that doesn't work, jump the same pins BEFORE you turn the ignition on. I guarantee one of these procedures WILL work. Remember, 7 and 19 (ground). Jump the wrong pins and bring a hot dog to fry along with your electronics.Thanks... I have found one has to do the individual system test to see the error message detail. Great tips on the SI reset, will try your suggestions... great info that. :) Nick