PDA

View Full Version : Short Shift in the 540?

Jehu
02-08-2008, 12:43 AM
I see a UUC evo 3 short shift kit on ebay. Anyone use one in the V8 six speed? Starting to think the shift selector is sloppy. Do Short Shifters require substantially more effort to throw?

3rdE34
02-08-2008, 05:12 AM
hi, i do not know your gearbox but i do know that in some gearboxes sometimes a simple thing like a worn (overstretched) spring can make the box "sloppy" and is often only a 3 dollar replacement....hope this helps.... :)

Ferret
02-08-2008, 05:15 AM
My 540i/6 has the short shift installed, it makes the gearbox very notchy but no extra effort to shift properly (in the gears that work properly :D)

Makes it a pleasure to drive though :)

Jehu
02-08-2008, 09:22 PM
My 540i/6 has the short shift installed, it makes the gearbox very notchy but no extra effort to shift properly (in the gears that work properly :D)

Makes it a pleasure to drive though :)

Sounds good. Thanks.

Jehu
02-08-2008, 09:25 PM
hi, i do not know your gearbox but i do know that in some gearboxes sometimes a simple thing like a worn (overstretched) spring can make the box "sloppy" and is often only a 3 dollar replacement....hope this helps.... :)

Thanks. I'm not sure weather I'll get the SS Kit this time. I had to shell out $125 today to straighten a wheel after i hit a pothole Wednesday night and its not so lose as to be a problem. In fact I have no idea how its supposed to feel new anyway ao I'm just assuming its a little lose. Plus I tend to be rather forceful with my throws.