PDA

View Full Version : 1992 525i trans program new tranny

85rx12a
01-27-2008, 07:05 PM
this is a copy of my thread from bimmerforums im not getting much advise there

when i picked this car up a few years ago it had the trans program problem i replaced the tranny and the TP problem was gone for the last year and a half so i know that the TP problem is a result of something bavarian has done

hi everyone, i recently went to oklahoma for work. while there my tranny decided to start puking out all the fluid. i took the car to bavarian autohaus an indy shop there in norman oklahoma. my first thought was just to replace the front seal on the tranny and go on w/ my life. turns out the tranny had a bad bearing was missing bolts and the triangular flex plate was bent and in bad shape. i spoke to david herr of bavarian autohaus and he sugested a replacement tranny from a man in norman by the name of jack somethingorother. so i says sure, they do the replacement. and call me back. i paid 2,300 dollars and started to leave . when leaving i punched the throttle and low and behold trans program. i return to the shop and let them know what happened. so far they have replaced on there dime

the speed sensor top of tranny
tried a known to be good trans control
replaced hoses on the motor
adjusted linkage
adjusted linkage
adjusted linkage
hooked up to a bmw tranny computer and pulled code 100 speed monitoring
speed incorrect for gear selected

hooked up to auto logic computer and found that the al could not comunicate w/ the trans control and that there is air in the instument cluster

be it known that this is not a bitch thread for bavarian autohaus david herr and his staff have treated me very well and did an outstanding job on my car
i personally think they just got a bunk tranny.

my main point from here is to see if anyone else has any idea that could speed the recovery of my car up.

this is three weeks later

well i returned the car to bavarian autohaus in okc ok earlier this week and left it there another three days. the guy that built the tranny " jack somethingorother" pulled and inspected it and says he found no faults. returned the tranny and sent it back to BA. i returned there day before yesterday to pick up my car fed up w/ there inability to resolve the issue. upon returning there i was told i was a fraud. and the last tranny i had in the car couldnt have run with out pulling the trans program code. this really really pissed me off. and whats worse is how they came to this conclusion.. while test driving the car for the umtenth time they pushed forward on the shifter untill the D from the ED was gone. now while doing this the car while drive foot to the floor and not pull the TP crap but it also shifts extremly hard. so now they want to replace the shifter console because they think its a bad bushing on the bottom of the shifter causing the TP problem.

what does anyone think of this senario. i didnot have the trans program problem w/ the last tranny and i think their shifter pushing trick is just that, tricking the computer into thinking everything is fine. or putting it into a state of shock seems to fit better w/ the way it shifts.

85rx12a
01-27-2008, 08:13 PM
come on guys somebody here has atleast an opinion on what BA think is the fix

I mean when he told me that a nylon bushing inside my car was the cause i looked at him and said

"youve got to be shitting me, thats the best youve got. at the very best we are just bypassing the TCU and causing the tranny to have to do what it does. i mean everytime it shifts it feels like someone hit you from behind as it goes into gear. ill be taking my car now, but i will be back."

has anyone else here used bavarian autohaus?

whiskychaser
01-28-2008, 03:15 PM
I believe the expert your side of the pond is a Mr Koeller. Someone will have his details (and correct my spelling if thats wrong) but I think this is correct:
http://www.europeantransmissions.com/
There is a lot of informaton on here about the 4HP22 if you search but perhaps if you confirmed the type of gearbox that is in your car somebody would make a stab at an answer:)

Ross
01-28-2008, 05:05 PM
F#$*@%G parts changers those guys. A reseal job ws probably all you needed.
Even if the shifter bushing is worn I'm pretty sure(someone correct me)the computer gets the same info as the cluster, so if the display says D then that's what the computer thinks too.
Doesn't that code usually mean slipping in the trans??
Maybe your electronics are incompatible with the stuff in the valve body of your rebuilt. Always better to rebuild your original box whenever possible.
Good luck with these clowns, it sounds grim. Maybe take your lumps, find a real expert and persue a remedy with the original shop later.