PDA

View Full Version : Random conversations with strangers about E34s

LunatiC
01-25-2008, 04:27 AM
Just an anecdote of what happened to me earlier today.

I park my car around the corner from my work, and at lunch time I went to my car to get something out of the boot. As I walked to my car I noticed a guy, about 50-60 years old, loading up his trailer with printed catalogs (I parked in front of a printing firm) looking up at me as if to ask something. He owned a beige late-70s early-80s Merc wagon (W123).

After I got what I needed out of my car, I started walking away when the guy asked me the following:

Guy: What year is that?
Me: It's a '95.
Guy: Wow, you wouldn't be able to tell, looks a lot newer than that.
Me: Well, my car is the last of the series. That design actually first came out in '89.
Guy: *looks at his shitbox Merc, then looks at my car, then looks at me with a "You've gotta be shittin me" reaction* So how much do they go for then?
Me: The older 89 models you can get pretty cheap, about 6-8k, up to the 95 models which go for about 14.

Conversation pretty much ended there, but I liked his reactions :D Do note that the prices I quoted are in Aussie dollars in the Aussie second-hand car market, which is a lot different (read: more expensive) than other areas of the world.

Tiger
01-25-2008, 10:02 AM
My first reaction to your price was like... you are dreaming... then your Aussie dollar reminds me... that's probably about right...

Ferret
01-25-2008, 10:24 AM
My first reaction to your price was like... you are dreaming... then your Aussie dollar reminds me... that's probably about right...

I think me and barney should go into business shipping these things... $1500 - $2k USD + shipping for a good one anyone?

LunatiC
01-25-2008, 03:21 PM

The Aussie dollar is actually pretty strong when placed next to the US one, it's more the market that dictates such a high price. Some of these E34s are approaching 20 years old and they're still expensive given what they are, simply because of the badge ('BMW tax'). This goes with everything that has to do with a BMW, spare parts, accessories, everything and anything.

Why do you think us E34 owners in Australia are scouring eBay and contacting BMA for parts all the time? I got a brand new radiator from BMA last year, OEM spec, including shipping, for less than what a second-hand one from the breakers would've cost me locally. In Europe the situation is even more exaggerated. You can pick up another E34 for less than what it would cost to service one in Australia at a BMW dealer.

pundit
01-25-2008, 04:49 PM
I bought a bunch of parts from BMA a year ago.
On average they were 1/4 to 1/6 the price of what the local BMW stealer wanted. And most parts were OEM Lemforder, Bosch etc.
The biggest shock was the price of a pair of macpherson strut dust boots that the local stealer wanted $68.00 each for.
They cost $2.75 each from BMA!!

The local stealers do not give a **** what they charge.
If a customer is dumb enough to pay it, they'll take their money.
Most BMW owners don't have the knowledge, time or energy to look beyond the stealers.

Remember, when the E34 was new there was between 40 to 60% import duty in Australia on imported luxury cars.
So a $110,000 E34 would have been more like $70,000 without it.

A new E34 in the U.S. would have been around $35,000 to $40,000.
About one third of the Aussie price.
That still holds true now for s/h cars.
A used E34 that would sell here for say $12,000 would sell in the U.S. for around $4,000.

That's the price we pay for our small population, isolation, tax hungry Government and take-no-prisoners stealers!

As far as comments from strangers about my E34 are concerned, I get almost none.
An ex-girlfriend who I bumped into was a bit miffed when she got out of her boyfriends shitbox Ford and saw me with a BMW.
Apart from that anyone under about 25 seems totally oblivious to anything like an E34.
But a totally rooted '89 VN Commodore with 20" bling rims, ugly aero body kit, 4" exhaust and 120db of 50 cent 'doof, doof' will have them creaming in their pants.
Well there 'aint no substitute for taste... is there? ;)

Pang
01-25-2008, 05:30 PM
Great post pundit.Thats what us Aussies are up against.

Zeuk in Oz
01-25-2008, 07:07 PM
As far as comments from strangers about my E34 are concerned, I get almost none..........Well there 'aint no substitute for taste... is there? ;)
Well said Pundit.
The other issue is that where I live, in a semi-rural area, there aren't as many bimmers as in the city so some people actually think an E34 is almost new as far as styling is concerned.

My '88 model was keyed soon after I bought it because it looked too good.

My '94 model has 18" wheels - unfortunately - if only I could find a set of the 16" style 6 wheels it originally came with - I keep looking. These bling 18" wheels bring forward admiring comments for Commodore owners.

No accounting for taste......

rob101
01-25-2008, 08:11 PM
The local stealers do not give a **** what they charge.
If a customer is dumb enough to pay it, they'll take their money.
Most BMW owners don't have the knowledge, time or energy to look beyond the stealers.

Remember, when the E34 was new there was between 40 to 60% import duty in Australia on imported luxury cars.
So a $110,000 E34 would have been more like $70,000 without it.

A new E34 in the U.S. would have been around $35,000 to $40,000.
About one third of the Aussie price.
That still holds true now for s/h cars.
A used E34 that would sell here for say $12,000 would sell in the U.S. for around $4,000.

my friend yang who works in mackay has had some serious problems with expertise to fix his car.
One BS problem that was a MAF, this fairly good garage up there tried 3 times to fix and failed. Local mech in the gold coast here found the problem (that'd be Bob Love) and fixed it in 2 hrs. I think some of the mechanics just don't care.
Funny thing is some people think cars like belgian holden astras are cheaper to run than the equivalent bmw (by price and safety - 5 years older), they'd be wrong too.
I have got a few complements about my e34, even from people in construction too... mind you they used to give me heaps of crap about having a bmw,even my former boss....
but now he has an e92 m3 so i think he wasn't really being serious.

pundit
01-25-2008, 08:54 PM
Of course another reason why s/h cars are cheaper in the U.S. (and northern Europe as well) is due to the sub-freezing winters. Cars deteriorate much more on salt laden frozen roads. That's why cars from U.S. states that don't suffer freezing winters like California tend to fetch more dollars than those from elsewhere. Less chance of rust and seized suspension, brake and steering components.

Nick.Hay
01-25-2008, 10:37 PM
Had a guy call at me from my open front door the other day:

"Hello.... Is that your BMW??"
"Yep" I replied (I felt a bit concerned at that point)
"I used to live in this house in 1997, and I had a 535i"

We chatted about the merits of the E34 for about 10mins. He still has his 535i manual, and I have seen it kicking around the streets.