PDA

View Full Version : I WANT DAMN COIL-OVERS for a E34 TOURING!!!

bad_manners_god
01-22-2008, 07:05 PM
I've searched google, ebay and a bunch of UK seller sites DESPERATELY trying to find an adjustible Coil-Over Kit so I lower my E34 525i Touring More than 2 inches with Lowering Springs.

When I called a place that had them, they told me that the upper pearchs are different in a sedan than the touring.
***^^!!!CAN ANYONE VERIFY THIS!!!^^***

This is the site I found them on for 657.40=
http://www.prostreetonline.com/pnsku/ss1-bw09.asp

So, I need to know if anyone knows/has Coil-Over kit either made for the Touring or have been modified to fit one.

Tiger
01-22-2008, 07:12 PM
Why do you need that low? Many lowering kit is already low. Intrax probably got the lowest of low but no guarantee on ride quality.

bad_manners_god
01-22-2008, 07:15 PM
Why do you need that low? Many lowering kit is already low. Intrax probably got the lowest of low but no guarantee on ride quality.

Mostly I want to lower it for the horrible 3.5 inches gap between the front tires and the inner fender.

M5Greg
01-22-2008, 08:57 PM
A friend bought this touring last week in Germany. It has KW V2 installed on it. The car will be shipped to the US in about six months. I don't have any details on the install but KW apparently will work.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d196/M5Greg/iso1008.jpg

Greg

bad_manners_god
01-22-2008, 09:39 PM
A friend bought this touring last week in Germany. It has KW V2 installed on it. The car will be shipped to the US in about six months. I don't have any details on the install but KW apparently will work.

Greg

I searched up the KW V2 kit on their site, it's about 1,900CDN for a 2.75 inch/ 70 mm drop. I was hoping for similar results without spending more than double because its a touring.

I'm sure if there's no cheaper option, I can get the N.E.X Coil-Over's for the E34 525i Sedan and Mod them to fit the Touring....They can't be all that different.

MTechnik540i
01-22-2008, 10:36 PM
I can get the N.E.X Coil-Over's for the E34 525i Sedan and Mod them to fit the Touring....They can't be all that different.

:D

bad_manners_god
01-22-2008, 10:38 PM
:D

Well, is the touring different from the sedan apart from the extra wieght.

MTechnik540i
01-22-2008, 10:55 PM
Well, is the touring different from the sedan apart from the extra wieght.

I thought you were saying that these N.E.X. Coilovers that you speak of shouldn't be that much different than KW's offerings...

I can't imagine there's any huge difference with the sedan/touring, other than the obvious difference in weight.

Honestly though, you ought to just get a good off the shelf spring like an H&R Sport and match them with some custom valved Bilstein Sports.

Unless you go full blown with the coilovers, trying different spring combinations and corner weighting, I think it's definitely going to be overkill. If you really just want mad hawt stance and the ability to alter ride height might I suggest....

http://www.airbagit.com/

bad_manners_god
01-22-2008, 11:03 PM
I thought you were saying that these N.E.X. Coilovers that you speak of shouldn't be that much different than KW's offerings...

I can't imagine there's any huge difference with the sedan/touring, other than the obvious difference in weight.

Honestly though, you ought to just get a good off the shelf spring like an H&R Sport and match them with some custom valved Bilstein Sports.

Unless you go full blown with the coilovers, trying different spring combinations and corner weighting, I think it's definitely going to be overkill. If you really just want mad hawt stance and the ability to alter ride height might I suggest....

http://www.airbagit.com/

Thanks EXTREMELY pushing it for my budget.

I've been researching different Springs/Shock Combinations and the most drop I've been able to find is a 1.6 inch drop. My car clears the ground by about 9 inches.

I'm pretty sure that KW is superior to NEX but then again, so is their price. The car isn't going to be a track car, I just drive rather spirited most of the time.

MTechnik540i
01-22-2008, 11:42 PM
Thanks EXTREMELY pushing it for my budget.

I've been researching different Springs/Shock Combinations and the most drop I've been able to find is a 1.6 inch drop. My car clears the ground by about 9 inches.

I'm pretty sure that KW is superior to NEX but then again, so is their price. The car isn't going to be a track car, I just drive rather spirited most of the time.

You're going to need to consider how vulnerable the car is going to be with this 2" drop you're talking about....Oil pans are expensive. Also, I'm not sure if you've got any other plans as far as camber plates/eccentric bushings/etc., but you're going to have quite a bit of negative camber with this setup you're thinking about, and significant inner tire wear is going to be inevitable.

Just match a set of H&R Sport springs with some Bilstein Sport struts and go have fun. You're really wasting your time with coilovers, IMO.

bad_manners_god
01-22-2008, 11:53 PM
You're going to need to consider how vulnerable the car is going to be with this 2" drop you're talking about....Oil pans are expensive. Also, I'm not sure if you've got any other plans as far as camber plates/eccentric bushings/etc., but you're going to have quite a bit of negative camber with this setup you're thinking about, and significant inner tire wear is going to be inevitable.

Just match a set of H&R Sport springs with some Bilstein Sport struts and go have fun. You're really wasting your time with coilovers, IMO.

I've found some strut/spring combos that are about 450 without the top plates. Once I factor in the Top plates with the total cost, I'm looking at more than the NEX coil-over kit (If they work for the touring)

The oil pans arent expensive, they're just a b1tch to change, I've done it twice already, once to change the gasket and once when it blew from a curb.

I plan to put camber plates to adjust the negative camber from the Coilovers. But it's almost certain that I would need to put them in any case for a Lowering Spring/Strut Combo.

Right now, I need to get some info about the Sedan mounts being the same as the tourings mount.

MTechnik540i
01-23-2008, 12:07 AM
I've found some strut/spring combos that are about 450 without the top plates. Once I factor in the Top plates with the total cost, I'm looking at more than the NEX coil-over kit (If they work for the touring)

The oil pans arent expensive, they're just a b1tch to change, I've done it twice already, once to change the gasket and once when it blew from a curb.

I plan to put camber plates to adjust the negative camber from the Coilovers. But it's almost certain that I would need to put them in any case for a Lowering Spring/Strut Combo.

Right now, I need to get some info about the Sedan mounts being the same as the tourings mount.

If you did go with this 2" drop you're talking about, I would most definitely look into some Eccentric bushings out back, or you'll be eating tires out back.

Tiger
01-23-2008, 12:10 AM
Eibach makes one specifically for the touring with self leveling suspension. I have Eiback on my sedan. Zero gap in the rear and only a mere 1" gap in front. This is all you need to eliminate the "floating" look.

You will have to buy sport Bilstein shock absorber for the front.

Brandon J
01-23-2008, 01:16 AM

I have installed suspension kits on several e34 tourings. Are you planning on driving this car? You never mentioned driving it, just how it will look with the gap. There are big differences between springs and suspension kits. If you only want to get rid of the gap then coilover kits are not the answer, just cut your springs. The ride will suck, but you never mentioned you are concerned about ride. Also, please, you don't have to shout with the capital letters on your subjects and we don't usually use swear words on this board. Thanks.

Barney Paull-Edwards
01-23-2008, 01:41 AM
Can you measure the outside diameter of Touring struts??? I made a set for my saloon from Demon Tweaks coilover conversion kits@ £65 pair but not sure if your struts are larger O.D.?

Paul in NZ
01-23-2008, 05:15 AM
maybe you ask this (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/member.php?find=lastposter&t=36725) guy how he got his touring so low

bad_manners_god
01-23-2008, 06:45 AM
I have installed suspension kits on several e34 tourings. Are you planning on driving this car? You never mentioned driving it, just how it will look with the gap. There are big differences between springs and suspension kits. If you only want to get rid of the gap then coilover kits are not the answer, just cut your springs. The ride will suck, but you never mentioned you are concerned about ride. Also, please, you don't have to shout with the capital letters on your subjects and we don't usually use swear words on this board. Thanks.

I'd still like to retain ride quality, but improve on handling and looks at the same. I would have cut my springs but I know it's not going to be the same quality.

Sorry about the Swearing/Shouting.

Tiger
01-23-2008, 10:56 AM
Eibach is all you need. They make a kit specially for your car. Ride quality is retained.

Brandon J
01-23-2008, 11:17 AM
I'd still like to retain ride quality, but improve on handling and looks at the same. I would have cut my springs but I know it's not going to be the same quality.

Sorry about the Swearing/Shouting.
No problem. Lets get back to suspension talk now. ;)

Any one of the suggestions here will work. Since you are in Canada you have to worry about the snow, so lowering it too much could put your oil pan in jeopardy. So, a good kit for the touring is what you need. You mentioned before and in another post that you have people in the car. So, a toruing suspension made for the extra weight is very important. H&Rs can give a harsh ride for passengers. The Eibach springs are good springs and they make the springs in the Sachs kit. The springs in the Sachs kit is cutom matched to the skocks so I always recommend the Sachs kit because it is affordable and a matched set. I am not sure if they have any available (or in stock) right now for the touring. Everyone that has installed the Sachs kit has loved it....from what I hear. So you might want to save up for a very good matched kit that you just drop in and never have to worry about. Also the gap gets much smaller between the tire and the wheel arch.

Ferret
01-23-2008, 11:39 AM
No problem. Lets get back to suspension talk now. ;)

Any one of the suggestions here will work. Since you are in Canada you have to worry about the snow, so lowering it too much could put your oil pan in jeopardy. So, a good kit for the touring is what you need. You mentioned before and in another post that you have people in the car. So, a toruing suspension made for the extra weight is very important. H&Rs can give a harsh ride for passengers. The Eibach springs are good springs and they make the springs in the Sachs kit. The springs in the Sachs kit is cutom matched to the skocks so I always recommend the Sachs kit because it is affordable and a matched set. I am not sure if they have any available (or in stock) right now for the touring. Everyone that has installed the Sachs kit has loved it....from what I hear. So you might want to save up for a very good matched kit that you just drop in and never have to worry about. Also the gap gets much smaller between the tire and the wheel arch.

Most of the reason the tourers nose goes up in the air is because it's sat down at the arse end. I was trying to trace this problem in my TDS tourer for aages - then the new owner (who's a good mate of mine) had the rear suspension bushings, shocks and springs done. The nose immediately sat back down and looked normal again... it was determined that the two rear springs had gone weak.

Looking at this I think this must be a common problem on the tourers as a lot of them I see driving around have their noses in the air.

bad_manners_god
01-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Most of the reason the tourers nose goes up in the air is because it's sat down at the arse end. I was trying to trace this problem in my TDS tourer for aages - then the new owner (who's a good mate of mine) had the rear suspension bushings, shocks and springs done. The nose immediately sat back down and looked normal again... it was determined that the two rear springs had gone weak.

Looking at this I think this must be a common problem on the tourers as a lot of them I see driving around have their noses in the air.

Either that or thats the way they're made.

BrandonJ: I'd appreciate if you get me the link to the sachs kit. Thanks

Ferret
01-23-2008, 12:32 PM

How did you 'delete' your rear levelling suspension now I've just seen you have?

Dave M
01-23-2008, 12:48 PM

Not just a problem with the tourers. I noticed a lift in the rear and greater than 'advertised' drop in the front after changing the very tired stock suspension for an eibach / boge upgrade.

Huge difference

Tiger
01-23-2008, 12:51 PM
No... that is NOT how they are made... with nose up in the air. Figure out what you need first. I would not trash your self leveling thing. Most of the time, you just need to replace the air spheres.

Dave M
01-23-2008, 12:56 PM

try a call BMA in Cali (http://www.bmaparts.com/index.php?cookieID=2A10KPBB32A70RGE8X&clientid=bmaparts)

ask for yves or patrick

AngryPopTart
01-23-2008, 03:17 PM

Greg

Excuse me sir, but which wheels are these? They look nyshe!

bad_manners_god
01-23-2008, 03:21 PM
try a call BMA in Cali (http://www.bmaparts.com/index.php?cookieID=2A10KPBB32A70RGE8X&clientid=bmaparts)

ask for yves or patrick

Anything in Canada that won't cost me a long distance charge?

Ferret: I removed all the spheres and lines, and joined the sending and return lines from the power steering resevoir together. And I replaced the Shock for regular ones without the self leveling.

Tiger: All the lines we're rusted, leaking, as were the spheres and the shocks too.

Dave M: How much was the Eibach/Boge upgrade

Tiger
01-23-2008, 03:44 PM
Mmm... then you gotta call Bruno... I can't remember his website store.

Dragunov
01-23-2008, 05:55 PM
Probably not much real help but i lowered your car for you to the extreme, using my madd photoshop skillz, just for the hell of it
Before:
http://usera.imagecave.com/badmannersgod/my_car_pics/DSC002401.jpg
After:
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc43/DragunovHUN/DSC002401-2.jpg

bad_manners_god
01-23-2008, 06:53 PM
Probably not much real help but i lowered your car for you to the extreme, using my madd photoshop skillz, just for the hell of it
Before:
http://usera.imagecave.com/badmannersgod/my_car_pics/DSC002401.jpg
After:
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc43/DragunovHUN/DSC002401-2.jpg

MADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD SKILZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

thats wicked sick, I'm getting it painted in the next couple weeks. I was wondering if you could photoshop what its going to look like on the dropped picture you did. I tried on paint but I suck, so whatever.

The bumper impact moldings that go all the way around car are getting painted Estoril Blue. The grill surround, the center of the hood, the roof between the roof racks and down the hatch in Estoril Blue. Also, the Wheels are getting the lines Estoril Blue.

If you could incorporate the M5 Fender Grills in there too it would be great. Chrome the Front Grill And one last thing. I have hood vents. Here are the link to all the pics you'll need:

My version in Paint (http://usera.imagecave.com/badmannersgod/my_car_pics/CopyofDSC002401.jpg)
17 Wheels...the lines in the middle of each spoke to be blue (http://usera.imagecave.com/badmannersgod/my_car_pics/DSC00235.JPG)
Vents for the Hood - See My version for placement (http://usera.imagecave.com/badmannersgod/my_car_pics/HoodVents.jpg)
M5 Fender Grills - Pointy Side on top facing forward (http://usera.imagecave.com/badmannersgod/my_car_pics/m5fendergrill.jpg)

EDIT: Could you also shadow line the chrome around the windows (black trim) Thanks a lot.

Dragunov
01-23-2008, 08:14 PM
Haha yeah i can do all that, though a better quality base image would be nice. What you listed is about 10 minutes of work on a better picture but on this i'll probably end up tinkering for hours.

I'll wait for your response before i start working on it. If you could provide a better quality, preferably daytime pic i'd be happy, but if you cant i can use this one no problem.

bad_manners_god
01-23-2008, 08:26 PM
Haha yeah i can do all that, though a better quality base image would be nice. What you listed is about 10 minutes of work on a better picture but on this i'll probably end up tinkering for hours.

I'll wait for your response before i start working on it. If you could provide a better quality, preferably daytime pic i'd be happy, but if you cant i can use this one no problem.

All the pics I have are with my camera phone, 2 megapixel, I'll link you to my album of pics if it helps.

Pics of my car, - sorry for the bad quality. (http://www.imagecave.com/albums.asp?album=my_car_pics)

repenttokyo
01-23-2008, 08:28 PM

oil pans are expensive when all the oil leaves your engine and the engine seizes.

repenttokyo
01-23-2008, 08:29 PM

you can't make a long distance phone call but you can afford to lower your car?

Dragunov
01-23-2008, 08:30 PM
All the pics I have are with my camera phone, 2 megapixel, I'll link you to my album of pics if it helps.

Pics of my car, - sorry for the bad quality. (http://www.imagecave.com/albums.asp?album=my_car_pics)
Link doesnt work

attack eagle
01-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Blue light special.

Before you do ANY lowering, you need to go install a Kmac eccentric rear bushing set ($249-$299 parts, 8+ hours labor install, or a minimum of 12 hours labor if you have a lift, airtools, and possibly a press. If you do not have a lift, you can not install them yourself) or modify the existing subframe to give TOE and Camber adjustment. At my existing ride height, with the kmac's set to 0, toe spec was ~1 degree POSITIVE and camber was just over 3.5 degrees. That spec if uncorrected means buying new tires every 3000 miles. Or a complete set every 6000 if you rotate front to rear.

There are better pics on DTMPower IIRC, and multiple vids of badmannersgod 's iT on youtube.

bad_manners_god
01-23-2008, 08:47 PM
repentokyo: For real? I thought the Oil was just some dealer excuse to charge you more money. No point of calling if they can't offer anything.

dragunov: http://usera.imagecave.com/badmannersgod/my_car_pics/
There you go.

attack eagle: Good to see you here. I have a lift, airtools, press, etc.
Which bushings are these? Can you link me to the Kmacs rear bushings?
Also, whats your current ride height that you have the Kmacs to 0

Dave M
01-23-2008, 08:48 PM

Dave M: How much was the Eibach/Boge upgrade

1) As printed on the BMA page I linked for you, they have a toll free 1-888 #.

2) Bought the boge struts/shocks from BMA ~$75 a corner. Purchased Eibach pro kit in Calgary (was driving through) for ~ $400.

Dave M

repenttokyo
01-23-2008, 08:50 PM
repentokyo: For real? I thought the Oil was just some dealer excuse to charge you more money. No point of calling if they can't offer anything.

maybe you could call collect?

repenttokyo
01-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Purchased Eibach pro kit in Calgary (was driving through) for ~ $400.

Dave M

that's a good deal, where did you find them at that price?

bad_manners_god
01-23-2008, 08:56 PM
1) As printed on the BMA page I linked for you, they have a toll free 1-888 #.

2) Bought the boge struts/shocks from BMA ~$75 a corner. Purchased Eibach pro kit in Calgary (was driving through) for ~ $400.

Dave M

Thanks, I found a Eibach Pro-Kit supplier here in my town, he's actually a good friend of my dad's, I take my car to get aligned there. I'll go see him tomorrow.

Dave M
01-23-2008, 09:10 PM
that's a good deal, where did you find them at that price?

I just went through my receipts, but couldn't find it. Hmfff. FWIW, it was in SW Calgary. I think ~$400 was after tax. You might do better than that with our relatively good exchange rate these days.

Heres a link to a random on-line US dealer (http://www.eracingzone.com/BMW-1-88-3-97-525i-535i-E34-Exc.-4V-M50-TU-Eibach-Pro-Kit-Springs-2013-140-p-19171.html). Prices seem to be in the $250 to $270 USD range.

Dave M

bad_manners_god
01-23-2008, 09:13 PM
I just went through my receipts, but couldn't find it. Hmfff. FWIW, it was in SW Calgary. I think ~$400 was after tax. You might do better than that with our relatively good exchange rate these days.

Heres a link to a random on-line US dealer (http://www.eracingzone.com/BMW-1-88-3-97-525i-535i-E34-Exc.-4V-M50-TU-Eibach-Pro-Kit-Springs-2013-140-p-19171.html). Prices seem to be in the $250 to $270 USD range.

Dave M

Lol, you linked us to the one that doesnt fit the 4V-M50TU

AngryPopTart
01-23-2008, 10:24 PM
I got tired of waiting so I took it into Photoshop. Throwing star wheels. Nice effect from painting the centers black. I'll have to try that on a set sometime.

bad_manners_god
01-23-2008, 10:32 PM
I got tired of waiting so I took it into Photoshop. Throwing star wheels. Nice effect from painting the centers black. I'll have to try that on a set sometime.

Are you talking about mine?

attack eagle
01-24-2008, 12:16 AM

dragunov: http://usera.imagecave.com/badmannersgod/my_car_pics/
There you go.

attack eagle: Good to see you here. I have a lift, airtools, press, etc.
Which bushings are these? Can you link me to the Kmacs rear bushings?
Also, whats your current ride height that you have the Kmacs to 0

they aren't set to 0 anymore, and the car is 3 feet in the air at the moment so I can't measure it, but I tuck the rear tire into the fenderwell just a little, & the car is perfectly level, neither nose high or low.
I wore thru the inner shoulder of brand new tires in 3k miles before correcting it, and now after 8-9k on the new tires they are still in excellent shape.

Got mine from Turner, they were the least expensive source.
pictars of ride height... about as low as is practical IMO

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b106/AttackEagle/bimmer/side.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b106/AttackEagle/bimmer/sideview.jpg

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-24-2008, 12:22 AM
This Touring looks like it's got a 95 wide grill conversion and the Bauhaus monochrome paint job.

I'd just throw some Eibachs under it.

Coil overs are overkill for a street car

bad_manners_god
01-24-2008, 12:29 AM
Great Pics, thats the height I want when I'm done with the suspension. Still got a good amount of clearance while still looks clean.

So whats your suspension setup from top to bottom? Shock, Springs, Bushings, etc

Appreciate it, Thanks.

attack eagle
01-24-2008, 01:00 AM
AFAIK and IIRC from looking at the PO's receipts and talking to him, it is UUC progressives and bilstein sports with the SLS delete from maximillian. Nothing fancy or exotic.
no mention of 3mm spring pads up front... but it sure looks like it already has them or could use them.
KMAC RTABs to dial the rear suspension back to Mtech alignment specs.

Great driving car, but we have smooth roads. Rear is completely smooth, front is a bit harsh on broken pavement.
VERY steep driveways, speed bumps, or entranceways can be problematic as I've dragged the exhaust a couple of times, but for the most part it is not low enough to worry about anything other than parking back from curbs and stoppies.

bad_manners_god
01-24-2008, 01:11 AM
AFAIK and IIRC from looking at the PO's receipts and talking to him, it is UUC progressives and bilstein sports with the SLS delete from maximillian. Nothing fancy or exotic.
no mention of 3mm spring pads up front... but it sure looks like it already has them or could use them.
KMAC RTABs to dial the rear suspension back to Mtech alignment specs.

Great driving car, but we have smooth roads. Rear is completely smooth, front is a bit harsh on broken pavement.
VERY steep driveways, speed bumps, or entranceways can be problematic as I've dragged the exhaust a couple of times, but for the most part it is not low enough to worry about anything.

I don't recognize the first 2 abbreviations, sorry. The UUC Progressives I couldn't find on the UUC website. The Bilstiens should be easy to find.

What do the 3mm spring pads up front do for the suspension/height?

I'm assuming the RTABs are the eccentric bushings you were talking about earlier?

attack eagle
01-24-2008, 03:04 AM
as far as i know, and if i recall correctly

3mm pads make the car sit about 6 mm lower.

rtabs = rear trailing arm bushing.
Yes, those are what I was talking about earlier.

bad_manners_god
01-24-2008, 06:58 AM
as far as i know, and if i recall correctly

3mm pads make the car sit about 6 mm lower.

rtabs = rear trailing arm bushing.
Yes, those are what I was talking about earlier.

These aren't the big subframe bushings are they? If these are the ones you're talking how, how would I be able to adjust to them?

Dragunov
01-24-2008, 08:28 AM
Here it is. Sorry but this is about as lifelike as it gets with this pic, so i didnt put a lot of effort into placing the vents. I guess it'll do as a sketch, eh?

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc43/DragunovHUN/DSC002401-2-2.jpg

Dave M
01-24-2008, 10:24 AM
Lol, you linked us to the one that doesnt fit the 4V-M50TU

Repentokyo doesn't have a TU

Jon K
01-24-2008, 10:26 AM
ew m3 vents on an e34 so wrong

Dave M
01-24-2008, 10:28 AM

I thought it was picture of a hamburger

attack eagle
01-24-2008, 01:52 PM
Front 25
rear 23.75"

about the same as twak in cm
63.5 ish front
60 rear.

of course thats with 1/4 tank of fuel and no passengers or cargo.

bad_manners_god
01-24-2008, 03:23 PM

Actually, they are m5 vents, but im not putting the m5 badge on them.

Attack-eagle: Huh?

bad_manners_god
01-24-2008, 03:25 PM
Here it is. Sorry but this is about as lifelike as it gets with this pic, so i didnt put a lot of effort into placing the vents. I guess it'll do as a sketch, eh?

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc43/DragunovHUN/DSC002401-2-2.jpg

Pretty nice, It's only 1 vent on each side of the hood near the front. Anyways, looks really good, thanks.

I cant wait till I can post pics of the finished product.

Paul in NZ
01-24-2008, 03:36 PM
the spring pads are a metal plate that sits in the perch.The std pads are 9mm,the 3mm one are 3mm so 9-3=6,cars sits 6mm lower....

Brandon J
01-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Blue light special.

Before you do ANY lowering, you need to go install a Kmac eccentric rear bushing set ($249-$299 parts, 8+ hours labor install, or a minimum of 12 hours labor if you have a lift, airtools, and possibly a press. If you do not have a lift, you can not install them yourself) or modify the existing subframe to give TOE and Camber adjustment. At my existing ride height, with the kmac's set to 0, toe spec was ~1 degree POSITIVE and camber was just over 3.5 degrees. That spec if uncorrected means buying new tires every 3000 miles. Or a complete set every 6000 if you rotate front to rear.

There are better pics on DTMPower IIRC, and multiple vids of badmannersgod 's iT on youtube.

Really? Never heard about that before. I have a full suspension with weight in the trunk from the subwoofer and have had my Pilot Sports for almost 30k miles. No rotating, staggered and no bushing set. I have seen 5 other tourings lowered without them and their tires lasted the same length as a sedan.

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-24-2008, 05:13 PM
the spring pads are a metal plate that sits in the perch.The std pads are 9mm,the 3mm one are 3mm so 9-3=6,cars sits 6mm lower....

They are rubber

attack eagle
01-24-2008, 06:38 PM
Really? Never heard about that before. I have a full suspension with weight in the trunk from the subwoofer and have had my Pilot Sports for almost 30k miles. No rotating, staggered and no bushing set. I have seen 5 other tourings lowered without them and their tires lasted the same length as a sedan.

how low are you over stock? probably not as low as I am and he wants to be. most tourings are only 1 to 1.5 inches, and the camber/toe change is almost exponential once you get past that.

Dave M
01-24-2008, 06:49 PM
Where can I get the 3mm Rubber Spring pads?

BMA or dealer

bad_manners_god
01-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Where can I get the 3mm Rubber Spring pads?

Brandon J
01-25-2008, 09:42 PM
how low are you over stock? probably not as low as I am and he wants to be. most tourings are only 1 to 1.5 inches, and the camber/toe change is almost exponential once you get past that.
I am about 1.25-1.5 lower front and rear. The tourings lower the same amount if using the appropriate springs. I also run front camber plates (total front negative camber ranges 2.25-2.5). I have also previously used Racing Dynamic springs which lowered the front even more. I have done more than a dozen aftermarket e34 suspension installations on e34s and everyone's tires lasted more than the 6k miles even with cappy tires. Perhaps there could be a problem with your e34 or the previous owner dented something. Perhaps the previous bushings were just worn out or the rubber life was shorter with your climate conditions. The e34s I see as well as have installed suspensions go through simiar weather as Canada with all 4 seasons.

Just wondering, you mention almost exponential, what formula are you using? What do you mean by that. I have done my own alignments on e34s and the rear toe does not change with the lowering.

attack eagle
01-25-2008, 11:24 PM
yes toe does change. but since you are the suspension and tire 'guru' of b.i. I can't very well disagree with you can I? I might get banned for telling you you are wrong again.
Instead of simply reading that my experience is different than yours because I am LOWER than you have any experience with, you denigrate and cast aspersions.

I will suggest a test if you would like to know what i am talking about.

Set your e34 on the rack, put a jack under the diff and unbolt the struts. let it down and up while watching the numbers on the table, or just load weight in it while it is on the table until your rear opening is 23 inches above the ground.

Ride height: my rear wheel well opening was at 23.5 inches above the floor, with 1/4 tank of gas and no 3rd row, sub box, or luggage. that seems to be about an inch lower than most everyone elses sedan or touring.

bad_manners_god
01-25-2008, 11:56 PM
Ok, so I'm pretty sure I'm going with Coil-Overs, it's a complete package with adjustible height for winter and going to be about 200 cheaper than Shocks, Springs, Plates, Pads, Camber Plates, etc, etc