PDA

View Full Version : OE battery date code?

Ross
01-15-2008, 05:57 PM
Does anyone know how to determine the age of a BMW battery?
The typical branded code on the case is not present. There is a very small engraved # on the top between the handles DB0208150506. Nothing on the posts as the dealer suggested.
I'm curious to know how old it is now that it died(Ithink). It came with my touring which has been sitting far too long now that the GF is firmly an E39 lover.

philbyil
01-17-2008, 09:33 AM
BMW batteries use(d?) Douglas for a manufacturer. Perhaps they can help you with the number.
IMHO - If your battery is over 4 years old and/or you haven't used a Battery Tender on it then you might as well go to Autozone and pick up a new one. Save yourself some dosh ;)

Does anyone know how to determine the age of a BMW battery?
The typical branded code on the case is not present. There is a very small engraved # on the top between the handles DB0208150506. Nothing on the posts as the dealer suggested.
I'm curious to know how old it is now that it died(Ithink). It came with my touring which has been sitting far too long now that the GF is firmly an E39 lover.

Ross
01-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Thanks Phil. It's definately Douglas.
I'll give them a try. Previous experience has been that a manufacturer senses a warranty claim coming and is less than forthcoming with information.
I know it for sure to have been installed before 7/05.
I'm curious more than anything because I've heard stories of VERY long life from these batteries.

Ross
01-17-2008, 10:51 AM
Douglas was no help but...East Penn Mnfrg. was
The small engraved # between the handles decodes this way, DB= Doulas Battery, the next four digits are year and month of manufacture (DB0208= August 2002)

philbyil
01-19-2008, 03:17 PM
FYI - My BMW Battery (Douglas) is 6 years old and tests out just fine.
However, I do keep it on a Battery Tender Plus when the car isn't being used......

Douglas was no help but...East Penn Mnfrg. was
The small engraved # between the handles decodes this way, DB= Doulas Battery, the next four digits are year and month of manufacture (DB0208= August 2002)