PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know how to ship a hood cheaply?

JD525IA
01-15-2008, 05:09 PM
I won a Calypso Red E34 hood on Ebay for $50 (+ $75 shipping). This was back on 12/26/07. They were going to send it Greyhound from Oregon to Phoenix, AZ. Now they are telling me that they can't get Greyhound to take it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=330178473654&rd=1

They quoted nearly $200 in freight to me today to ship it. I'm about to cancel it and get my money back.

Any ideas?

JD

Dave M
01-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Unless Greyhound luggage holds are different in your neck of the woods, I can't see why the seller ever contemplated trying to get them to ship something so large and fragile. You'd have some mullet clad dude's guitar case pressing a nice dent in it.

Your best bet is to contact trucking companies. There should be plenty out there that don't do a lot aof advertising as they're business isn't geared toward the general public. If you work in a field that has any excuse to ship 'stuff', use the account or find a friend you will let you use theirs. I've done this with engines, works out well. A $125 hood is a pretty good deal, wouldn't want to lose it over shipping.

Good luck,

Dave M

Ross
01-15-2008, 06:08 PM
The only cheap way I can think of is using a household mover who is already making the trip. Without a connection it's a longshot but maybe someone knows someone else making a move that will put this on for you.
Or maybe ask the seller to hold for you. There have been enough deer strikes lately one of us closer to Oregon may need it. (Not trying to jinx you there Charles)

whiskychaser
01-16-2008, 05:57 PM
The only cheap way I can think of is using a household mover who is already making the trip. Without a connection it's a longshot but maybe someone knows someone else making a move that will put this on for you.
Or maybe ask the seller to hold for you. There have been enough deer strikes lately one of us closer to Oregon may need it. (Not trying to jinx you there Charles)
Household mover is a good idea. They should have blankets/straps to secure it so it doesnt get bent or scratched. But mention personal effects and the rates go up x 3. Try firms that do home delivery of items like fridges - they should have the same kit, cover a bigger area and be cheaper. I've been in transport management 30 years. My opinion is if you want it there on time, in the right condition and with the right paperwork - you go for it yourself:)

attack eagle
01-16-2008, 06:07 PM
have some illegals bring it to you when they drive up??? :)

winfred
01-16-2008, 06:37 PM
$200 is about par for a trucking company on something that big, i refuse to ship body parts for that reason and the high mortality rate, unless it's close enough to drive and the gas to get there and back doesn't exceed the value you place on the part...

JD525IA
01-17-2008, 09:35 AM
have some illegals bring it to you when they drive up??? :)

It needs to go from Oregon to Arizona. North to South, not South to North.

But, that's funny...... yet, feasable.