PDA

View Full Version : Screen freezes inside

whiskychaser
12-22-2007, 03:22 AM
OK -4 deg C is nothing to some of you on here. But I'm getting fed with having to wait 5 minutes till the car warms up and clears the ice off the INSIDE of the screen. Before winter the windows would steam up if the car was left in the sun so I'm thinking the problem is condensation. Carpets are dry but water must be getting in somewhere. I just cant find where. My guess is the boot as the tool kit was a bit rusty when I got the car. Any suggestions on places to look and if not, how do you guys in the really cold places get around this problem?

Barney Paull-Edwards
12-22-2007, 04:23 AM
Got same problem but slightly warmer.Mine has been getting into car from top of screen when prat put new screen in 6 years ago. Try jet-wash on top of screen to confim. The boot water leak will be seal. looks fine but is not waterproof, costs peanuts.

repenttokyo
12-22-2007, 06:35 AM
we get around it by sitting and waiting for the car to defrost - sadly, that's the best option.

timandbim
12-22-2007, 07:28 AM
we get around it by sitting and waiting for the car to defrost - sadly, that's the best option.

haha what- you sit in the car and watch your girlfriend dig you out of the snowbank?

yeah ice is the worst thing for cars, doesn't matter if it's -1 or -40. actually i think it's worse for your car if the temperature hovers closer to 0'C because wherever that water is it's expanding or contracting every time the temp passes zero... here for the most part it just stays frozen. after driving various cars and trucks around planet hoth for twenty years or so and seeing what it does to them (combined with the salt-ugh) i long ago made leak avoidance a priority as far as car maintenance goes (should have made it the water pump with this car, but that's not relevant here).

i had lots of leaks but i think i got them all (i can't tell, my car's in the phXXing shop). when i had a sunroof drain blocked, most of the water ended up in the ds carpet, but it travelled from the blocked front drain on the ps across the top of the windshield (on the inside). probably not your problem but it's so easy to check the drains maybe you want to. i also had a plug/grommet/thing loose between the fusebox and firewall and some water was getting in there- it's between the f/b and the ds wiper motor on my car- i forget exactly where. also if you have even a small hole in any of your wheel-wells pressure could force a lot of water through into the space behind your dash or maybe into your trunk.

when i was figuring this stuff out i would let my car sit in different angles in the rain and check it before driving it - or try to keep it dry and then drive through lots of puddles just to try and narrow down the source a bit. my neighbours still can't figure out why i used to water my car every week! -hope some of this helps...

whiskychaser
12-22-2007, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the responses. I dont THINK I have a leak cos the carpets are all dry. But water must be getting in somewhere. If the local wash isnt frozen I'm off there tomorrow (she thinks I'm getting her presents) and have a very close look to see if I can find a leak. If you guys who live in really cold places dont have a solution maybe I should try so hygroscopic crystals?:) Unless I get caught AWOL will post outcome

632 Regal
12-23-2007, 04:33 PM
you have a heater core leak bro! if not to bad relax if the carpet is dry. Simply put the thing on hot and turn the AC on and the sheild should clear fast and stay clear. Adjust the proper settings and you can live with a leaky heatercore forever.

whiskychaser
12-23-2007, 10:29 PM
you have a heater core leak bro! if not to bad relax if the carpet is dry. Simply put the thing on hot and turn the AC on and the sheild should clear fast and stay clear. Adjust the proper settings and you can live with a leaky heatercore forever.
Getting shopping yesterday wasnt the best idea. Took forever. So I didnt get to the wash:( Had time to take a quick look at the heater area and couldnt see any runs. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but if I put it on hot the AC wont switch on. If I put it on cold then it will. Makes sense or the AC would be fighting the heater wouldnt it?

Barney Paull-Edwards
12-23-2007, 11:02 PM
Its a good idea to use the A/C on hot as it de-humidifies, mine does.Not sure about heater core leak as mine uses no water at all despite having same problem as you. My passenger side carpets are wet from screen leak,and rear drivers` side boot pocket fills up due to seal.Also found tray behind seats in floor full from somewhere! Get rid of all water and car is clear for a while,reckon you have a leak somewhere allowing water to puddle in hidden corner,Screen,sunroof drains,boot seal?

632 Regal
12-24-2007, 01:34 AM
yes the ac fights the heat, mine runs on hot and clears the sheild in seconds VS just the heat which never seems to clear it. Maybe something about the year of your car... try kicking it on cold and turning the temp to hot when the AC is on?

Getting shopping yesterday wasnt the best idea. Took forever. So I didnt get to the wash:( Had time to take a quick look at the heater area and couldnt see any runs. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but if I put it on hot the AC wont switch on. If I put it on cold then it will. Makes sense or the AC would be fighting the heater wouldnt it?

pingu
12-24-2007, 02:26 AM
It could be a leak between the windscreen and the chassis. You could check for that by putting soapy water around the rubber on the outside of the windscreen and then using a compressed air line to blow air all around the inside of the windscreen. If you get any bubbles then you've found a leak.

whiskychaser
12-24-2007, 03:22 AM
yes the ac fights the heat, mine runs on hot and clears the sheild in seconds VS just the heat which never seems to clear it. Maybe something about the year of your car... try kicking it on cold and turning the temp to hot when the AC is on?
Last time I tried the AC it was about -2 dec C and it didnt come on. Just read my handbook and it says it WONT come on until +1 deg! Just tried it and the book was right-it comes on now its warmer. Do I feel foolish? Oh yes.
Barney, I parked with the front end on a speed bump. Poured a bucket full of water on the gap at the top of the bootlid. Got 3 or 4 small 'runs' down the inside of the seal. No drips on the carpet but it may be enough to make the boot area-and the rest of the car-damp.
Pingu, I think that's a brilliant idea. Might even go over the whole car with that stuff. If nothing else it will have everyone guessing WTF I'm up to:)

timandbim
12-24-2007, 05:37 AM
I dont THINK I have a leak cos the carpets are all dry.

... i didn't realize how much water was getting in until i went underneath the carpet looking for the wire to my kickdown switch. there's about 6 inches of foam in there that was completely soaked but the carpets were bone-dry on the top. there is also a drain-hole in the floor that could give you access without pulling the carpets up if it wasn't sealed like it seems to be on some people's cars. i posted a photo here (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=35942).