PDA

View Full Version : clutch pedal to the floor.

robert g
11-13-2007, 03:08 PM
Yesterday I was putting on belts and other stuff and noticed the brake/clutch resorvoir was low. I went ahead and filled to max. I would say it was min before I filled it with brake fluid. To make a long story short I had not drivin the car in about a month since I was looking for voltage regulator for a valeo alternator. Which I didnt find for my car. Today I got in the car and the clutch pedal went all the way to the floor. I pumped the pedal several times and it whent back close to normal. I drove the car and the pedal still felt funny. After a ride around the block and still pumping with the car off the pedal got much better. Should I bleed it and why would this happen? Thanks....

Ross
11-13-2007, 03:09 PM
There is a leak some where.

whiskychaser
11-13-2007, 03:35 PM
There is a leak some where.
If fluid drops below a certain level it can let air into the system. Fix the leak then bleed. The clutch itself is working fine so thats a result:)

Jon K
11-13-2007, 04:12 PM
Slave cylinder dead - replace immediately or get ready to do a new clutch disc as the brake fluid gets on the disc. Ask me how I know.

e34.535i.sport
11-13-2007, 04:48 PM
Slave cylinder dead - replace immediately or get ready to do a new clutch disc as the brake fluid gets on the disc. Ask me how I know.

LOL - I'm guessing you learnt the hard way! :)

filip00
11-13-2007, 04:54 PM
what happens if you don't replace it immediately? i noticed my clutch feels kinda spongy when it's cold outside, like it has free movement first few inches. and when the car gets hot, it works just fine.

Ross
11-13-2007, 05:23 PM
You are probably felling the air in the hydraulic system. The clutch slave cyl. will act lazy until the air is out of the system.

Jon K
11-13-2007, 05:27 PM
But where air gets in, fluid gets out. You don't want this **** on your clutch disc i swear.

filip00
11-14-2007, 07:52 AM
But where air gets in, fluid gets out. You don't want this **** on your clutch disc i swear.

Jon quit being so mysterious, what happens if it drops on the clutch disc? it ignites and burns?

how do i know i must change that cylinder? i'm telling you, when the car gets warm, it runs just fine....so are you sure the liquid leaked out?

whiskychaser
11-14-2007, 10:19 AM
what happens if it drops on the clutch disc? it ignites and burns?
Oil forms a glaze on top on the disc material. There is not enough friction any more so clutch is useless. Not sure about ceramic clutches but conventional ones soak it up nicely. Have an auto so dont know the position of the slave cylinder but from Jon's response it sounds like its not ideally situated:)

Dave M
11-14-2007, 10:40 AM
Jon quit being so mysterious, what happens if it drops on the clutch disc? it ignites and burns?

how do i know i must change that cylinder? i'm telling you, when the car gets warm, it runs just fine....so are you sure the liquid leaked out?

Nobody can tell you that you need to replace the slave based on your description. Jon may be referring to the original poster. If its spongy when cold, workls fine when warm and (this is the important part) your fluid level is NOT dropping, you do not have a leak. Start with the basics and monitor the fluid level. Your issue may be mechanical, or simply due to the temp. When the temp dips below freezing here, my clutch also feels 'different'. Just the way it is.

Dave M

filip00
11-14-2007, 06:48 PM
one of my friends told me it's due to the one of the cylinders failure, but that i should check which one. and he didn't say anything about any leaks, nor is my oil level changed.

robert g
11-15-2007, 12:17 AM
It rained all day so I wasnt able to check during the day. I went out there this evening and took both 13mm nuts off and sure enought it was leaking..... It is not leaking alot but will replace when I find a replacment part in my town.
Also my dad's ford ranger the pedal feels hard and will not go into gear. I bleed the slave and no luck. I dont know what to do. It was driving fine. and the next day I was getting noise and the day after that it was hard to get into gear and the day after that guess what????? It wouldnt go into gear at all. I think I am going to replace the lines since the slave is inside the transmission. The lines have a plastic clipp and might be getting air in from there..... Any ideas on the the ranger it is a 94...

Ross
11-15-2007, 06:36 AM
Just burn it off.

Ross
11-15-2007, 06:41 AM
What arears to be a cold issue might be the result of "pumping up" after a few applications. A tiny leak perhaps?

bsell
11-15-2007, 10:27 AM
It rained all day so I wasnt able to check during the day. I went out there this evening and took both 13mm nuts off and sure enought it was leaking..... It is not leaking alot but will replace when I find a replacment part in my town.
Also my dad's ford ranger the pedal feels hard and will not go into gear. I bleed the slave and no luck. I dont know what to do. It was driving fine. and the next day I was getting noise and the day after that it was hard to get into gear and the day after that guess what????? It wouldnt go into gear at all. I think I am going to replace the lines since the slave is inside the transmission. The lines have a plastic clipp and might be getting air in from there..... Any ideas on the the ranger it is a 94...

Define 'hard' to me (stop it you sick bastards!). ;) Do you mean the pedal has full travel, yet is like pressing a stack of weights? Or the pedal won't move from the top position no matter how hard you push?

What kind of noise? I wonder if the clutch disc dissintigrated or warped severely in a quick fashion, or the pressure plate went to hell in a handbasket.

If you had air entering the hydrualic system, you should have an overlysoft pedal with the clutch engaging right off the floor and/or never fully releasing and causing hard gear engagement.

Now, if either your master or slave is rusting itself into stuck-hood, then you should have a stiff pedal. Which also goes for the pedal pivot point. If the pivot bushings are frozen, then of course you have to work harder to move the pedal.

So give us a little more info...

Brian

Jon K
11-15-2007, 12:13 PM
Just burn it off.

Won't work with a stock disc

Ross
11-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Won't work with a stock disc
I know that, I was trying to bust your chops a little