PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pads

Sam-Son
11-01-2007, 10:25 PM
More questions and another dip in to the wealth of knowledge on this board...
I'm lookin to replace my pads and rotors
Which would you guys recommend Axxis/PBR metal master dustless or Axxis/PBR Ultimate street pads?
Just curious
Thanks
-Mike

Brandon J
11-02-2007, 12:33 AM
What do you want out of your brakes? What is your climate? What wheels do you have? Do you drive kids? Are you the only driver? What tires? Future upgrades planned?

Sorry for all the questions, but anyone who comments on what fits you without asking you questions doesn't have the answers. So, lets learn more about what your needs are for the brakes.

I can tell you what fits me. I wanted brakes that will work when cold, are not noisy, stop well, pads that don't wear out fast, pads that don't wear the rotors too fast, pads that can take the heat of spirited driving, a pad that didn't dust too much. I did not mention price.

I chose the M5 brake upgrade with solid rotors for maximum friction area. I use Axxis Ultimates because of their performance in the cold and hot. They dust less than factory and the dust is more grey. I decided I wanted better stopping and less fade at the expense of some dust. I love my set-up. Perfect for the street and I have used them on the track.

Here are some of my pad experiences:
:( group
Hawk HPS - need to be warmed-up to work well, not good for emergency stopping
PBR/Axxis Deluxe - no dust, actually made noise, pad glazed, glazed pad glazed the rotor, didn;t stop as well as stock
Textar - factory BMW pad, lots of dust that stains the wheels, good braking, very consistent, easy on the rotors
Mintex Red Box - don't like, they seem to have some irregular wear, not good stopping, never use with cross-drilled rotors

:) group
Akebono - Like them as a stock replacement, good consistent stopping, no dust, no noise, easy on rotors
Axxis Ultimates - Like them, dust just a little less than factory, great stopping cold, great stopping warm, less fading
Track pads - Love how they stop at the track, they are so noisy and dusty, the stopping friction might suck your eyeballs out, wear out rotors

Solid rotors are great and cheaper. The first 2 places to look at for heat resistance when braking are the pads and the brake fluid. So choose the pad and the price that fits you. I would suggest to anyone to flush the brake fluid. I like to use Ate Typ 200. It is the same as Super Blue, but I don't like how the Super Blue can tint the plastic reservoir blue. If you want to purchase brake fluid at the local parts store, then look for the Valvoline Synpower fluid. It is much cheaper than the Ate fluid and is very very good for the street. I like that I can get it whenever I want to. As with all brake fluid, it should be changed once a year.

Sam-Son
11-02-2007, 12:46 AM
As always Brandon I can rely on you for quality info after reading what you wrote I'm definitely going for the axxis ultimates. As far as rotors I was looking at TMS X-drilled.
It seems redundant considering I already got the answer I was looking for but I might as well answer your quesions
1- I want something that'll stop well in the cold as well as hot, no noise, I can't afford to go through rotors very often, little less dust would be good

2-I have style 32's

3-I have 3 younger siblings so yea I drive kids sometimes

4-I'm the only driver

5-Avon Tech M550 A/S

6-Bilstein shocks, polyurethane control arm bush., LWFW, eventually S52 swap

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-02-2007, 01:12 AM
Unless you're take'n the car to the track, I'd forget cross drilled rotors and just get a set of Brembos or ATEs.

Sam-Son
11-02-2007, 01:18 AM
Unless you're take'n the car to the track, I'd forget cross drilled rotors and just get a set of Brembos or ATEs.
Aren't brembos abit pricey? and don't the ATEs chew up pads?

OK I'll be honest I also really like the look of X-drilled not to mention I drive as if I'm on the track...all the time so I want as much performance as possible even if I never use it, Its for piece of mind

CharlesAFerg
11-02-2007, 01:19 AM
I jsut got some Brembo rotors and some mintex pads, but I'll upgrade to Akebono when the weather gets better and I'll be doing more hard driving.

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-02-2007, 01:21 AM

OK I'll be honest I also really like the look of X-drilled not to mention I drive as if I'm on the track...all the time so I want as much performance as possible even if I never use it, Its for piece of mind

I dunno, the Brembos were the cheapest out here.

Cross drilled? Bling Bling

paint your calipers too

Sam-Son
11-02-2007, 01:23 AM
I dunno, the Brembos were the cheapest out here.

Cross drilled? Bling Bling

paint your calipers too
Makin fun Bob?:p
Seriously though I would also paint the calipers

If you know where to find cheap brembos I don't suppose you'd like to pass that info along...

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-02-2007, 01:32 AM
Makin fun Bob?:p
Seriously though I would also paint the calipers

If you know where to find cheap brembos I don't suppose you'd like to pass that info along...

Cheap may be realtive...I live in Hawaii where shipping a rotor is $$$.

So, the local parts shop sells them at $70

Sam-Son
11-02-2007, 01:53 AM
Cheap may be realtive...I live in Hawaii where shipping a rotor is $$$.

So, the local parts shop sells them at $70
Hmm still like the TMS ones

uscharalph
11-02-2007, 04:27 AM

I've gotten my Bremos @ www.rockauto.com.

repenttokyo
11-02-2007, 08:34 AM
Here are some of my pad experiences:
:( group
Hawk HPS - need to be warmed-up to work well, not good for emergency stopping

I'm running Hawk HPS now and I don't have a problem, with emergency stopping. I intend on running them through the winter, where we get -40 degree weather. I have run Hawk HP+ on the street through the winter before and experienced no problems with emergency stopping - and that's an even more aggressive brake pad.

I would reccomend Hawk pads without hesitation. I liked the HP+ pads more than my current HPS, although the HPS are quieter and cleaner from a brake dust perspective. I am running brembo rotors, but I received a bad rotor in my order and had to get a new one, so I am unsure if I would order from Brembo again.

Brandon J
11-02-2007, 09:52 AM
I jsut got some Brembo rotors and some mintex pads, but I'll upgrade to Akebono when the weather gets better and I'll be doing more hard driving.
Could you please chime in on your experience with the Mintex pads?

Samson,
a lot of people have said very good things here. The style 32s are heavy wheels so you might want to look at sport street pads. Yes, the Ultimates do the job well and I also drive like I'm at the track on the street too. You also received some more experience about the Hawk pads. While I do agree that it is okay for emergency stopping, the Hawks (IMO) do need to get warmed up to reach it's temp range for better bite. I experienced (as well as a few other e34s owners in my area) that after switching to Axxis Ultimates, that the warming-up time to get the pads at good operating temp is gone. The Ultimates have great bite cold and better warm. Samson, your choice and use the experience people have given you inthis thread. When you do install any pads, if they don't come with anti-squeal shims, use the anti-squeal goo and let it dry a bit before installation. If you are driving your younger siblings, I would not sacrifice quality for looks.

As with others here, I agree to NOT use the cross drilled rotors. I am also not liking cheap rotors. I cannot personally say that they are bad, but I can say that I have used cheap rotors before. I experienced glazing, the metal not wearing down evenly, vibration, the rotor hat was thinner so the wheel stuck in more, etc. Again, you will have some younger lives in your hand and I would get quality rotors that are just a little more.

Samson, are you going to do all 4 corners?

Sam-Son
11-02-2007, 12:52 PM
Could you please chime in on your experience with the Mintex pads?

Samson,
a lot of people have said very good things here. The style 32s are heavy wheels so you might want to look at sport street pads. Yes, the Ultimates do the job well and I also drive like I'm at the track on the street too. You also received some more experience about the Hawk pads. While I do agree that it is okay for emergency stopping, the Hawks (IMO) do need to get warmed up to reach it's temp range for better bite. I experienced (as well as a few other e34s owners in my area) that after switching to Axxis Ultimates, that the warming-up time to get the pads at good operating temp is gone. The Ultimates have great bite cold and better warm. Samson, your choice and use the experience people have given you inthis thread. When you do install any pads, if they don't come with anti-squeal shims, use the anti-squeal goo and let it dry a bit before installation. If you are driving your younger siblings, I would not sacrifice quality for looks.

As with others here, I agree to NOT use the cross drilled rotors. I am also not liking cheap rotors. I cannot personally say that they are bad, but I can say that I have used cheap rotors before. I experienced glazing, the metal not wearing down evenly, vibration, the rotor hat was thinner so the wheel stuck in more, etc. Again, you will have some younger lives in your hand and I would get quality rotors that are just a little more.

Samson, are you going to do all 4 corners?
Of course all four. So basically if I understand correctly xdrilled is no good? what about slotted?

BuckNaked
11-02-2007, 02:41 PM
My research has turned up comments that are pro-slotted and against drilled.
I am leaning towards the Akebono/Bembro setup. I am pretty tired of having to dust my style 32's every time I drive because whatever pads are on here dust like crazy.

spyrot1
11-02-2007, 03:33 PM
I'll chime in...

I have Brembo drilled and slotted at all four corners running Hawk HPS pads. I've had them on for 20k miles and the pads are not even half way done.

The stopping power is much better then stock, and the only issue I have is that they tend to be noisy once they get hot (could just be they need some anti-squeal).

I've also put drilled Brembo's and Hawk HPS on my Durango and the braking is night and day compared to stock (especially for a 4500lb SUV).

It's a great combination IMO

uscharalph
11-02-2007, 04:21 PM
I am leaning towards the Akebono/Bembro setup. I am pretty tired of having to dust my style 32's every time I drive because whatever pads are on here dust like crazy.
If you're concerned with brake dust, don't go with either slotted or drilled rotors. They both cause more brake dust. I stay with solid rotors.

Tiger
11-02-2007, 04:42 PM
False... Just False. I always use Cross and slotted. No more dusting than usual...

I prefer the Akebono.... dustless and good overall.

I have PBR Ultimate... still dusty.

PBR Metal Master I had for nearly 10 years... no dust... cold not so good until first braking... than great after that.

BMWCCA1
11-02-2007, 05:49 PM
Avon Tech M550 A/SHow many miles do you have on yours? I've got about 25,000 and the insides of both front and rear are so lumpy I can't stand the noise any more. Rest of the tread is fine and looks like they'd go on forever. But I'm going deaf. Anyone tried Toyo Proxes 4s?

BTW, I'm running Axxis/Repco MMs and have NO dust at all, stops fine, and has a slight noise when applying the brakes while in reverse at the rear. My wife's HPs have lots more dust but stop very well with Zimmerman drilled rotors. I'd probably not spend the money on Hawks again and the drilled rotors came on the car or they'd not be there, either. But they do look good on a large wheel.

attack eagle
11-02-2007, 05:58 PM
proxes 4 are for ride comfort and not any spirited driving. extremely soft sidewalls on them.

Zeuk in Oz
11-02-2007, 06:51 PM
I have Brembo discs and Jurid pads on all my cars - I find them fantastic.

uscharalph
11-02-2007, 08:28 PM
False... Just False. I always use Cross and slotted. No more dusting than usual...

I prefer the Akebono.... dustless and good overall.

I have PBR Ultimate... still dusty.

PBR Metal Master I had for nearly 10 years... no dust... cold not so good until first braking... than great after that.
There has to be more dust. It is a well know fact that drilled and slotted rotors go thru pads faster. Where does that material go?

Tiger
11-02-2007, 10:30 PM
No it doesn't... pad last much longer with cross and slotted because the rotor is cooler overall... doesn't burn pads as fast as regular rotors. I have both for nearly 12 years experience on my belt.

Brandon J
11-03-2007, 10:13 AM
I have Brembo discs and Jurid pads on all my cars - I find them fantastic.

Jurid is another factory pad. So you have a factory set-up.

Sam-Son
11-03-2007, 01:44 PM
How many miles do you have on yours? I've got about 25,000 and the insides of both front and rear are so lumpy I can't stand the noise any more. Rest of the tread is fine and looks like they'd go on forever. But I'm going deaf. Anyone tried Toyo Proxes 4s?

BTW, I'm running Axxis/Repco MMs and have NO dust at all, stops fine, and has a slight noise when applying the brakes while in reverse at the rear. My wife's HPs have lots more dust but stop very well with Zimmerman drilled rotors. I'd probably not spend the money on Hawks again and the drilled rotors came on the car or they'd not be there, either. But they do look good on a large wheel.
Off ahnd I 'd say about 10k and they haven't bothered me yet but I'm gonna ditch them cuz I find them useless in the snow

Zeuk in Oz
11-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Jurid is another factory pad. So you have a factory set-up.
Deliberately

Sam-Son
11-04-2007, 09:30 PM
Well I really appreciate the advice guys. Thanks Brandon for all the info. It looks like I'm going to get the Axxis/PBR ultimate streets and as far as rotors go I'm still up in the air. I still really want the TMS x-drilled and I really can't see why anybody would say x-drilled are no good. BMW puts them on their M cars now, x-drilled is all Porsche and Ferrari uses, so are you guys telling me they don't know what they're doing?

repenttokyo
11-04-2007, 09:32 PM
bmw also puts little chrome vent gills on the sides of their cars, and iDrive - so consider that for a second ;)

Sam-Son
11-04-2007, 09:46 PM
bmw also puts little chrome vent gills on the sides of their cars, and iDrive - so consider that for a second ;)
Touche` but seriously I really don't understand why xdrilled are so bad and why solids are better I must be missing something

Jehu
11-04-2007, 09:53 PM

I have slotted Brembo's on fr,slotted Zimmerman on the back with Akebono ProActs all around. I like them but there is a slight vibration at times when stopping i assume is from the slots. Pads still look to have plenty of meat but I'll try the Akebono Euro pdas next time. i think i paid about $450 for everything.

Brandon J
11-04-2007, 11:03 PM
I have slotted Brembo's on fr,slotted Zimmerman on the back with Akebono ProActs all around. I like them but there is a slight vibration at times when stopping i assume is from the slots. Pads still look to have plenty of meat but I'll try the Akebono Euro pdas next time. i think i paid about $450 for everything.

Yup, the slotted rotors. You might even hear a droning sound when stopping hard. All normal.

uscharalph
11-08-2007, 06:01 PM
I'll chime in...

I have Brembo drilled and slotted at all four corners running Hawk HPS pads. I've had them on for 20k miles and the pads are not even half way done.

The stopping power is much better then stock, and the only issue I have is that they tend to be noisy once they get hot (could just be they need some anti-squeal).

I've also put drilled Brembo's and Hawk HPS on my Durango and the braking is night and day compared to stock (especially for a 4500lb SUV).

It's a great combination IMO
How about the dust on the Hawk HPS pads?

philbyil
11-09-2007, 12:29 PM
Very reasonable alternative with quality components.
Virtually no dust.....Ate Powerslots (Front only) and EBC RedStuffs (front and rear) with Ate Typ200/SuperBlue fluid.

spyrot1
11-09-2007, 01:11 PM
How about the dust on the Hawk HPS pads?

Yup... they are dusty, but the stopping power is worth it.

Just have to clean the wheels more often :D

I've tried Green Stuff on a different car... they were far less dusty, but they didn't stop nearly as well.

I guess that's the trade off more dust=better braking.

Barney Paull-Edwards
11-09-2007, 01:28 PM
Tried Zimmermans and Jurid,`Ring ate them and faded as well, now on Brembo`s and mintex,loads of dust but have survived numerous max stops and 18 `Ring laps, as repeated many times, pay peanuts, get monkeys!

uscharalph
11-09-2007, 02:14 PM
I just ordered parts for my fronts. Bremo rotors and Akebono Front Brake Pad Set - Euro Ultra Premium Ceramic from the Auto Parts Warehouse. I'l be installing or having them installed next week.