PDA

View Full Version : Understeer? And other minor issues

peregrine40
11-01-2007, 12:55 AM
So I have a 1995 525i, and I just realized that the rear bumper is loose, and that a little clip broke, what can I do about this? Also, I've noticed the car has a serious tendency to understeer at times, and is extremely hard to get to oversteer in most situations. Is there any remedy for this?

ThoreauHD
11-01-2007, 01:32 AM
You can order new clips from bmaparts.com. For the second part, you can try an adjustment

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/steering/steering_box.htm

If you know that your tie rods and idler arms are in good condition.

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/steering/steering_link.htm

BMWCCA1
11-01-2007, 06:08 AM
There's a big difference between the definition of "understeer" and the steering "play" or "slop" caused by component wear as in the links posted above.
What exactly are you trying to fix? What is your basis for comparison?
Have you tried simple tire pressure adjustment? New tires? New sway bars? Adjusting your rear sway bar?

philbyil
11-01-2007, 04:46 PM
Assuming you know what understeer means...;) ;)

First, try 35/35 front and rear on your tires......
Then, check the manufacture date on your tires...How old are your tires?
Then take a look at the condition of your front steering components and also check the rear end as that also steers:D !
Then you get into the money......:(

peregrine40
11-01-2007, 06:13 PM
I am referring to understeer as in, when entering a sharp corner on either dirt or pavement at speed, the front wheels have a tendency to want to slip, as opposed to the rear sliding. I let off the gas, slightly apply brake, or try to whip the rear out, but the front tires just don't want to dig, as if there's simply too much weight on the rear. My tires are fairly new, and more worn in the rear than the front. I think I'm running around 40 all around as far as pressure goes. Also, I've noticed play in the front wheels. I can actually kick the front wheels back about an inch. They recoil quickly but on the road, if I hit a bump it gives a hard clank. What gives?

RobPatt
11-02-2007, 08:35 AM
search here on the forum, an experience everyone has had with those arms... soon you'll change them in an hour, no biggie.
cheers,

I am referring to understeer as in, when entering a sharp corner on either dirt or pavement at speed, the front wheels have a tendency to want to slip, as opposed to the rear sliding. I let off the gas, slightly apply brake, or try to whip the rear out, but the front tires just don't want to dig, as if there's simply too much weight on the rear. My tires are fairly new, and more worn in the rear than the front. I think I'm running around 40 all around as far as pressure goes. Also, I've noticed play in the front wheels. I can actually kick the front wheels back about an inch. They recoil quickly but on the road, if I hit a bump it gives a hard clank. What gives?

Jeff N.
11-02-2007, 08:58 AM
What model of car? 525? 530? 535? 540?

Brandon J
11-02-2007, 10:43 AM
As you said you have a '95 525i. Not enough power to whip the rear on asphault roads. So, lets check the other stuff,

As with others, first check to see if there is excessive play in your stock components. Check the tire-rods, the bushings, the ball joints, the bearings, the strut mounts, and the rear dogbones. You mentioned that it understeers at times....that makes me think that the car somtimes sits better on a turn than others. THis can signify a loose or worn out suspension component.

If you are looking to make your suspenion sportier, the first thing to do is to make sure the above components are good.

philbyil
11-02-2007, 12:20 PM
Well, if you can kick your wheels backwards, it's your thrust arms but you should also be experiencing some vibration when braking at around 55mph.
Have someone drive the car at a brisk walking pace and you trot/walk alongside and have them hit the brakes while you watch the wheel...if you see the wheel go backwards in the wheel well, its your thrust arm bushings.
IMHO 40 psi all around is too much try dropping to 35 F/R and try that.
Standard wear patterns for the E34 is :
Rears, in the center and sometimes the inside shoulder.
Fronts, L & R shoulders.
Rotate the tires same side front to rear is easiest and gives you some more mileage.
Start with the easy stuff first then go into checking your steering and suspension components. Sounds to me like your front end is in need of a rebuild though.....!

peregrine40
11-02-2007, 03:01 PM
Hm sounds like the thrust arm bushings might be it. Yeah, on pavement the power would be the obvious issue, but hitting hard turns it tends to skid the fronts slightly, and I'd prefer that they cruise through and the back would have more skidding going on. On dirt, it understeers badly sometimes, but that's to be expected I suppose. 35 all round for oversteer huh? You don't think higher in the back?

BMWCCA1
11-02-2007, 05:35 PM
I'd suggest dropping the pressure all the way 'round and using a bit more in the front than the back if you don't have adjustable rear sway bars. The rear doesn't steer as much as it controls camber change through the dog-bones but the front will push because of weight, tires, etc. What tires do you have? You may just be out-driving the tires. You can increase the turn-in by balancing the pressures and adjusting the bars but if you don't have any grip to start with you can't make that up. I have RD bars with the front on full loose and the rear full tight with equal tire pressure (something short of 40psi) front and rear but using 235/45x17 tires. I actually find my '95 525i 5-spd with Jim C chip gives me ample power to steer the car in corners because I have enough bite up there and the rear stays planted. I don't think an understeer complaint automatically points to bushing wear but you should certainly make sure yours are up to snuff as others have suggested. I find most BMWs will still handle well even while the old bushings are allowing all sorts of decel shudder. Good luck.

BMWDriver
11-02-2007, 08:52 PM
The sticky note on top of the Forum postings are quite relevant, the one on wheels in this case. Have a read; if you have 18 inches, you might have less tire contact on the pavement... There's a whole concept on adjusting the suspension to your tires and so on.

philbyil
11-03-2007, 06:37 AM
If you are stock and mainly only carry yourself and 1 person in the car, try 35all around. I have run this pressure in mine for years and get nicely balanced handling and perfect tire wear. Of course, you need to add some poundage in the rear if you carry other folk:D :D
YMMV though but give it a try;) !

peregrine40
11-03-2007, 01:27 PM
Okay So I put my car up on the lift. And one of the rear sway bar links is broken. I think I need to replace the thrust arm bushings, if not the ball joints too. So I'll try 35 all around I think. What if I want to induce oversteer more easily, then would I want 35f 45r or so?

BMWCCA1
11-04-2007, 09:08 AM
Rear sway bar disconnected would certainly contribute to understear. Fix the link and drive it.

philbyil
11-08-2007, 01:11 PM
Ok...
Now you are on the slippery spending slope:D :D

Yes, raising the rears would assist in reducing oversteer....to help you out, here's a neat little linky to the Tire Rack tire pressure chart....

[URL="http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=58"]http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=58[/URL

So, the links are shot...they are pretty cheap....and how are your rubber sway bar bushings??? Do you like a nice ride or can you take a little more NVH? You could replace the standard rubber bushings with, say, neoprenes if you don't mind additional NVH. If you don't want to spend lots of dosh, some small bushing upgrades can make the suspension a tad firmer/more responsive without costing a fortune.

peregrine40
12-15-2007, 11:04 AM
Where can I find the bumper clip? I cant find it anywhere!

whiskychaser
12-15-2007, 12:54 PM
I've noticed play in the front wheels. I can actually kick the front wheels back about an inch.
You are either one tough guy or you have worn suspension/steering components that are making your car steer like a tea trolley. I dont claim to be tough (I wear a big hat) so I'd be jacking up the front wheels and wiggling them about to see where the play is.

peregrine40
12-17-2007, 09:06 AM
Alright, I'll have to jack it up. I had it up earlier and couldn't wiggle them in the air. I don't get it. But right now I just really need to find a place to order that bumper clip, and I can't find anywhere!

bubba966
12-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Alright, I'll have to jack it up. I had it up earlier and couldn't wiggle them in the air. I don't get it. But right now I just really need to find a place to order that bumper clip, and I can't find anywhere!

Find the clip either on this diagram
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD63&mospid=47404&btnr=51_0617&hg=51&fg=15

or this one (not sure exactly what part you're looking for)
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD63&mospid=47404&btnr=51_0620&hg=51&fg=15

then go here
http://www.mileoneparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214336

and input the part # into the search by part # category. Mile one has the best prices on OEM parts, good shipping prices, and great service.