PDA

View Full Version : Changing e28 front brakes to e34.?

Gene in NC
10-28-2007, 09:39 AM
Changing e28 front brakes to e34.? E28 535 fronts are screwed, but my e34s have done very well with long wear, clean/smooth rotor wear, and no shimmy braking.

"Hot setup" for the e28 guys is e32 fronts.

Maybe so, but if I can find complete e34 fronts for a good price I'll give up little in function and be satisfied. Could get by with as little as carriers cause I have a line on calipers and rotors, but prefer complete setup.

Recommendations/offers?

BigKriss
10-28-2007, 09:42 AM
540 fronts are 28mm while the others are 22mm. they attach onto the strut just the same though.

Brandon J
10-28-2007, 08:07 PM
If you already have the non 540/M brakes, they will work well for the lighter e28. The caliper pistons are bigger in the e34 so the brake pedal travel will be a little more. If you do decide to use the M5/540 rears, then I would suggest the master cylinder upgrade as other e28 guys do. The rear caliper piston on the M5/540 rears are bigger than the normal e34 so it should be balanced with the larger master cylinder. If you aren't using 15in wheels already, you might need them with the e34 upgrade. It is a great e28 swap with lots of available replacement parts out there. Makes a very nice upgrade. Good luck with your brake upgrade.

filmy540i/6
10-30-2007, 12:44 AM
Changing e28 front brakes to e34.? E28 535 fronts are screwed, but my e34s have done very well with long wear, clean/smooth rotor wear, and no shimmy braking.

"Hot setup" for the e28 guys is e32 fronts.

Maybe so, but if I can find complete e34 fronts for a good price I'll give up little in function and be satisfied. Could get by with as little as carriers cause I have a line on calipers and rotors, but prefer complete setup.

Recommendations/offers?
You asked for recommendations... Do the E32 thing. Saving fifty bucks on an upgrade isn't going to be worth much when your brakes aren't the best they can be. Even at a $150 savings - is that really worth an accident? The safety of your family, your passengers, yourself? Nope. The stock E28 brakes aren't the best thing on the planet, but if you're going for the upgrade listen to the advice of those who have done it - and lived.

Brandon J
10-30-2007, 09:23 AM
You asked for recommendations... Do the E32 thing. Saving fifty bucks on an upgrade isn't going to be worth much when your brakes aren't the best they can be. Even at a $150 savings - is that really worth an accident? The safety of your family, your passengers, yourself? Nope. The stock E28 brakes aren't the best thing on the planet, but if you're going for the upgrade listen to the advice of those who have done it - and lived.
The e32 front caliper and the rotor size is the same as the e34 540i (the diameter is actually the same as all non ///M e34s). All e34 single piston front calipers have the same size piston as the e32, and even the single piston e34 M5 and e31 calipers. So no benefit from the e32 hardware over e34. The rotor diameter of the non-540 is also the same, but the 540/e32 is thicker than non 540 e34 rotors to allow for more brake cooling. The front rotor for the e32 750 can be different and cost more, but the sizes are still the same. For the e28 in normal useage and with less weight, using available (non-540) e34 front brake set-up is still a great upgrade. It is a proven upgrade for even the spirited drivers in the heavier e34s.

The rear e32 brakes cannot fit the e28. The rears should be upgraded as well to the (non 540) calipers/carriers/rotors set-up. If the 540 rears are used with its thicker/vented rotors, the e32 750 master cylinder is advised as the rear caliper piston is larger by 2mm and will increase pedal travel even more. The e28 master cylinder is smaller than the e34 one so an increase in pedal travel is normal with the basic e34 upgrade.

Good luck with the upgrade and stopping safer.