PDA

View Full Version : Subframe bush puller

whiskychaser
10-21-2007, 11:14 AM
Before you say it, I'd use the search button if it worked. £2-300 for something like a Sealey that I would use once seems a bit steep. Dont fancy the melt it with a blow lamp and jack it in/out with a piece of wood method. So has anyone got a design/drawing thats simple and works that I can hand to my local engineering company to fab up? Anyone else in UK interested and I will see if I can get a discount

Just so we are clear its item 2 I'm talking about replacing:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD68&mospid=47405&btnr=33_0219&hg=33&fg=30

Barney Paull-Edwards
10-21-2007, 11:33 AM
Before you replace them, buy a set of bruno`s delrin inserts, it transforms the rear end, for pence.If you must do the job then take the sub-frame right off and be lazy, get a garage to do it!

winfred
10-21-2007, 02:15 PM
drop the subframe as low as it will go and sawzall (reciprocating saw) through from the inside out though the metal part of the bushing, you know when you are through when it pinches the blade (go further and you are sawing on the subframe), put a couple sockets on top of the bushing and jack up the subframe pushing the bushing out, soap up the new bushing brace the subframe against the floor and jack the bushing inplace

e34.535i.sport
10-21-2007, 02:37 PM
+1... Winfred describes it perfectly.

TIP: Put the new bush in the freezer overnight before fitting or you will struggle to jack it in... I tried to jack one in just using washing up liquid and got it stuck. Had to cut it out again. Not good. Put the next one in the freezer and it popped in within seconds.

You can do it without a puller and save £££, just takes a bit of elbow grease.

Jeff N.
10-21-2007, 02:37 PM
Hmmm. When I used soap on mine, they popped back out. BMW's factory service manual says only to use water to lube up the bushing. Maybe you've had better luck than I've had with soap.

e34.535i.sport
10-21-2007, 02:47 PM
Yeah there was a lot of discussion on whether to use W-U-liquid or not - i would have preferred not too but apparently it disipates quickly once in and under pressure when driving? I haven't had any problems so far touch-wood. I would hate to try with just water, that would be HARD! :D

winfred
10-21-2007, 02:49 PM
hmmm i may try the freezer thing in the future firm up the rubber a little, the right side on my 633 decided to stop about 5mm from home, decided **** it it'll live

+1... Winfred describes it perfectly.

TIP: Put the new bush in the freezer overnight before fitting or you will struggle to jack it in... I tried to jack one in just using washing up liquid and got it stuck. Had to cut it out again. Not good. Put the next one in the freezer and it popped in within seconds.

You can do it without a puller and save £££, just takes a bit of elbow grease.

Russell
10-21-2007, 03:01 PM
Tire install lube is supposed to work as well. Someone on one of the forums mentioned a cleaner by "Goop" that evaporates with no residue. Forgot the exact name.

MBXB
10-21-2007, 04:23 PM
whiskychaser, You have email w attachment.

RobPatt
10-21-2007, 08:24 PM
...ok not to doubt you all, but:

1. is it really that easy?
2. how much are subframe bushes?
3. I got 150K on my car.... will I "notice" a real improvement?

(already have the delrin inserts, and new dogbones)

If it's like said here... geez, will go for it...but always seemed like the job was a major PITA....

What say you all? ( hey winfred, you're in LA... close to the water by any chance..? 'cause the redfish are kicking ass here in gulf coast mississippi....I'm gettin fat from eatin so many...)

hmmm i may try the freezer thing in the future firm up the rubber a little, the right side on my 633 decided to stop about 5mm from home, decided **** it it'll live

BigKriss
10-21-2007, 09:25 PM
For the guys who have done this, I push the rear of the car up on the diff using my floor jack, but I can never get the subframe pins so I can use the tool to remove the bushes. Is there any help out there. I've adjusted the rear of the car to various heights and tried to bang it out moderately with a hammer but it never wants to move. what shall I do? I've got the tool from Hector maybe 1.5-2 years ago now, but I still haven't changed them

MBXB
10-21-2007, 09:39 PM
I have a PDF of the Sawzall method. PM me with your email.

winfred
10-21-2007, 09:39 PM
one problem with lifting the car up by the diff for this job is you are pressing the subframe into the floor of the car, get some jack stands on the factory jacking points and when you unbolt the subframe it can drop

i am in baton rouge which is a good ways from the coast, not that i have the time to fish, **** i can't remember the last time i wet a line

For the guys who have done this, I push the rear of the car up on the diff using my floor jack, but I can never get the subframe pins so I can use the tool to remove the bushes. Is there any help out there. I've adjusted the rear of the car to various heights and tried to bang it out moderately with a hammer but it never wants to move. what shall I do? I've got the tool from Hector maybe 1.5-2 years ago now, but I still haven't changed them

Rory535i
10-21-2007, 11:17 PM
i have to change mine soon and i think i'll be trying this method:

http://homepage.mac.com/jasonblitzdesign/BMW/PhotoAlbum51.html

MBXB
10-21-2007, 11:54 PM
Found the website. Info is still posted:

http://www.tycksen.com/bmw/tech/subframe/index.php

http://www.tycksen.com/bmw/tech/flexane/index.php

e34.535i.sport
10-22-2007, 01:24 AM

Kriss you need to get in from above a few days or a week before and spray a load of WD40 down the hole on to the top of the pin. I then knocked the pin out with a 2lb lump hammer when the car was still on the ground. Then jack it up and saw the bast*rd out.

*Dont forget to throw the new one in the freezer the night before or you'll have a hell of a time getting it in.