PDA

View Full Version : Very bad oil leak.

dubumb
02-01-2004, 12:23 AM
Hi,
I am new to the forums. I currently own an e34 (92 525i) and I have been having problems concerning the oil and antifreeze.

I have always had a bit of an oil leak. I baught this product designed to help fix minor oil leaks (the product says it helps by reconditioning the gaskets...) and after using the product the leak was down to a minimum, maybe like 3 drops every night. WELL, we got some snwo down here recently and ever since it got cold my oil leak has gotten VERY bad. After checking I concluded that the oil only leaks serverly when the car is running. The leak is bad, im talking like 5 drips per second. I went under my car and the oil seems like it is coming from above the oilpan, I cannot tell very well, but it is dripping down the driver's side of the oil pan.

I also have a sporadic antifreeze leak. Everyonce and awhile i will go outside and there will be a pool of antifreeze on the ground. I just got a new radiator last month so i have no idea where this leak is coming from since it is so sporadic. I am more worried about this oil leak, though.

If anyone could help diagnose this oil leak I would be VERY appreciative. I thought at first that it was the oil pan gasket, but if it was, wouldnt it leak while the car was off also?

Thank you so much for any replies, and sorry for the long post!

rickm
02-01-2004, 07:38 AM
For the antifreeze, check the expansion tank - there are some o rings on this that can go (if you search the board you'll see the threads on this).

As far as the leak, open the hood and look around. Check around the valve cover, those gaskets can leak - mine weeps just a tad when I drive the car hard. You could also put it up on ramps and crawl under with the car running to see where it's coming from.

dubumb
02-01-2004, 01:15 PM
Thank you for your reply. I plan on puting the car on ramps today. As for the expansion tank, sorry to be so ignorant but where is that located?

As for the valve cover gasket, I will have to look today to see if that could be athe problem. How much would that gasket cost me? Hopefully I will be able to find where it's coming from today... I will post my results here when I am done

Thanks again for your reply

rickm
02-01-2004, 01:53 PM
The expansion tank is to the left of radiator, it attaches to the side. If you open the hood you'll see it. Check for coolant in that area....also crawl under the car and see if there are any "deposits". If this seems to be the problem search the board for "Expansion tank" for the ton of posts about it.

What you could do to help you place the oil leak is to clean the engine off (if it's dirty), then crawl around. Look for the drip point then trace it back. If it's a value cover gasket it's not too $$ to do yourself (not sure how much the part is). It's probably a 1 hour job or so depending on your skills.

If you have a Bentley manual it will show how to do these both.

dubumb
02-01-2004, 03:05 PM
I checked everything out. Couldnt fdind the problem... It looked like it was coming out from the base of the filter housing at first, so i cleaned that up and ran the car a bit and--no oil. So i put it up on ramps and after finally getting it up (had to break the ice so my back tires would stop spinning) the oil stopped leaking! So i took it off the ramps and let it run to see if it would leak when the car is not tilted... no leak!

What is above the oilpan on the drivers side? And what are the chances it is a headgasket? This is very frusterating.

thanks.

winfred
02-01-2004, 06:44 PM
could be the oil filter housing gasket where it meets the block, it takes us about three hours to change one, it's a pain

dubumb
02-02-2004, 12:24 AM
I'll have to look again tomarrow... ANy other ideas? What are the chances it would be the fromt main seal?

winfred
02-02-2004, 12:34 AM
could be, the best thing to do is clean the hell out of everything, that way it's easyer to spot

InfernoM3
05-05-2004, 12:23 PM
could be, the best thing to do is clean the hell out of everything, that way it's easyer to spot

I have an oil leak as well. Its not dripping just a lot of the bottom of my engie bay are oily. What can I do to clean and check where its coming from. thanks. oh i have a 90' 525i.

winfred
05-05-2004, 10:20 PM
most degreasers will do the job, just pick a concentrate and follow the directions for diluting with water, i like to clean the motor cold, this keeps condensation in the connectors to a minimum