PDA

View Full Version : 525IT Trans Removal

Just Jim
07-24-2007, 09:33 PM
My last post here was back in December asking about repairing the GM auto trans in my '95 525IT. By changing the filter and cleaning the shift solenoids I was able to get 3rd gear to work which was better than just 1&2 but still no 4th. So the car has been sitting until a few days ago when I decided to pull the trans. After removing all the required BS to pull the trans it now won't come out due to the starter still being bolted in. The Bently manual made no reference to pulling the starter so I figured it must be bolted to the block. Nope. So my question is for anybody not bored by now is this: How many bolts hold the starter to the bellhousing and do the bolts thread into the starter or into the bell? I'm used to working on my Ford V8 powered '58 Morris Minor not a BMW.
Thanks.

yaofeng
07-24-2007, 09:49 PM
Two bolts on the bell housing. I am using the 95 525 as a reference. Hope touring is the same.

Ross
07-25-2007, 09:34 AM
Some use a nut and bolt at one of the attatching points others a bolt through the bell into a threaded boss on the starter.. I'm not sure which ones but keep an eye out for that if things just keep turning.
Post a pic of the Morris pls.

whiskychaser
07-25-2007, 11:10 AM
Some use a nut and bolt at one of the attatching points others a bolt through the bell into a threaded boss on the starter.. I'm not sure which ones but keep an eye out for that if things just keep turning.
Post a pic of the Morris pls.

Dont know if this was carried over to later models but mine has the nut and bolt set up AND a bolt going into the side of the block

Just Jim
07-25-2007, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the replies.I finally located the remaining Torx headed bolt near the top of the bellhousing and removed it allowing the starter to come loose and the trans to come out. The starter has two threaded holes for the bolts but they aren't that easy to get to.

Here's a pic of the Morris for Ross.
http://members.aol.com/poppymorrie/wheelsup

Ross
07-25-2007, 04:39 PM
I love the Morris! Is it streetable?

Just Jim
07-25-2007, 05:28 PM
The Morris isn't licensed but could be street driven. It has mufflers but the huge 8 inch stock front drum brakes wouldn't be the best for stop and go driving. Since the Morris Minor was the predecessor to the Morris Mini which now is a BMW Mini maybe they are related?The 302 Ford V8 has to come out to get the trans out but it's easier than pulling the trans of the 525IT.
http://members.aol.com/poppymorrie/mmburnout