PDA

View Full Version : Euro Smileys: Hella vs. Bosch

slvre34
07-16-2007, 10:58 AM
I'm looking to upgrade to Smileys. Anyone have any knowledge of or opinion about differences between the Hella and Bosch models? Or are they exactly the same...Thx, Mark

Tiger
07-16-2007, 11:50 AM
Both has excellent optical quality... way better than any asian headlights.

Blitzkrieg Bob
07-17-2007, 12:49 AM
and pick up the cheap O DEPO set for $109

You'll never realize the $$$ Spent on Hella, Bosch or those faggy assed urine filled french lights and why spend 3 to 4 bills on an old 12++years E34 lights anyway???

there was a time when a Honda rice boy would lick the sweat off the balls of a set of old set of BMW projector lights.

Spend the money on keeping it running

attack eagle
07-17-2007, 03:11 AM
and pick up the cheap O DEPO set for $109

You'll never realize the $$$ Spent on Hella, Bosch or those faggy assed urine filled french lights and why spend 3 to 4 bills on an old 12++years E34 lights anyway???

true
or for about 109 + shipping, you can just buy a used set of genuine hellas off ebay from one of the servicemen stationed in germany.

filip00
07-17-2007, 06:15 AM
depo and hella work best for me.

bmwrp8
07-18-2007, 01:00 AM
I'm looking to upgrade to Smileys. Anyone have any knowledge of or opinion about differences between the Hella and Bosch models? Or are they exactly the same...Thx, Mark

hella

Ferret
07-18-2007, 01:19 AM
Would someone like to explain/picture the difference between 'euro smileys' and 'normal' headlights for me?

CharlesAFerg
07-18-2007, 01:37 AM
Would someone like to explain/picture the difference between 'euro smileys' and 'normal' headlights for me?

Euro lights are H1 bulb lights
US lights are 9006 bulb lights

While those are both ellipsoidal projectors, If I remember correctly some US models didn't have ellipsoid projectors?(rare?) So assume they're both ellipsoidal - for comparison.

Heres a pic of euro smileys - the name refers to the clear lense area on the lower half of the headlight lens, which lets more light pass through, let alone being more light to begin with, being an H1 as apposed to a crappy little 9006 bulb...
http://www.ivautoparts.com/andale/images/020998.jpg

Heres the US spec light
http://www.kindel.com/bmw/album/Charlie's%20'95%20540i%20Sport/_lowres/540i%20Sport%20Headlights.jpg

Blitzkrieg Bob
07-18-2007, 02:04 AM
the primitive ancestor of angel eyes..more suiting of a E34

CharlesAFerg
07-18-2007, 02:19 AM

So nice...

Ferret
07-18-2007, 02:23 AM
So nice...

Ah-ha! Cheers guys, why did the US models get shipped with such crappy light units?

Blitzkrieg Bob
07-18-2007, 02:29 AM
think they can light all of North America

attack eagle
07-18-2007, 03:42 PM
Ah-ha! Cheers guys, why did the US models get shipped with such crappy light units?

regulations.

US has different lighting standards and measurements than EU. EUs didn't comply so we got something that did.

And to be completely honest, since most vehicles back in 89 were still SEALED BEAM without even replaceable bulbs, the headlights weren't bad for the time. Only in retrospect do we now realize just how poor they were.

Ferret
07-19-2007, 07:26 AM
SEALED BEAM

*shudder*

MTechnik540i
07-19-2007, 10:38 PM
From my experience with E30 Euro Hella and Bosch headlamps (Which are mostly identical to E34s) the Bosch seem to have slightly superior construction. The 'bucket' that actually bolts to the lense is actually metal on the Bosch, where they're plastic on the Hella's. Also, the actual reflector is coated plastic on the Hella's(which tarnishes and rubs off if cleaned), while the Bosch's use a metal reflector.

I've had to replace the plastic buckets on the Hella lamps before because of broken tabs which wouldn't have been a problem on the Bosch.

I'd say that's basically the only real quality difference between the two, they're both much better than the DEPO offerings.

granit_silber
07-20-2007, 09:55 AM

While those are both ellipsoidal projectors, If I remember correctly some US models didn't have ellipsoid projectors?(rare?) So assume they're both ellipsoidal - for comparison.

Whoo-Hoo! Finally something on my car that's rare!!!!!!! :D

-ashley

TC535i
07-20-2007, 12:07 PM

89-90 and 94-95 US cars have US ellipsoids, 91-93 have the reflector headlights.

nirvana19
07-26-2007, 12:47 AM

Question, what bulbs to the city lights used? I never really bothered about them and never wired bulb harness in, but I might as well since I have them. Should I get a colored bulb (orange, blue, something silly like that) for them or does the plain light look better

attack eagle
07-26-2007, 01:14 AM
I thought about using amber... but then I read the US transportation code regarding lighting, and white is perfectly legal as a FRONT positioning light... I think amber would actually look a little wierd when the headlights were on.

Note that White is NOT an acceptable front reflector color nor is it acceptable for turnsignals... so my smoked OEM amber "turnsignals" will be staying. they reflect amber, and illuminate amber.