PDA

View Full Version : Antenna cable routing

whiskychaser
07-16-2007, 07:55 AM
Aftermarket CD works but radio reception is rubbish. Checked and there is no coax cable at the back of the radio. There is only an oblong socket with 10 or twelve small pins that I guess used to go to the amp. There is no power to the antenna amp (white wire) on the rear left c pillar but heated rear screen works fine. There IS a coax connection to the antenna amp. Can anyone tell me what route the cable takes and where best to pick up a live for the antenna amp? If I werent so ashamed of the PO's re-wiring I'd post pics:(

gmannino
07-16-2007, 06:48 PM
Factory antenna is not powered. You might be overlooking the antenna cable, search deep behind the dash and around to find it.

gmannino
Its not powered behind the radio.

gmannino
should be gray wire.

whiskychaser
07-17-2007, 04:04 AM
should be gray wire.
Thanks Greg. There is no amp or cd changer in the boot - just a stand alone Kenwood up front. My understanding was the antenna amp in the pic below should have 12V at the white wire (brown plug). You can see the coax connector is still in place but the other end doesnt arrive behind the dash. Real.oem shows it running up the left sill but it doesnt. Just trying to avoid ripping out too much carpet and trim :)

Ferret
07-17-2007, 04:36 AM
Thanks Greg. There is no amp or cd changer in the boot - just a stand alone Kenwood up front. My understanding was the antenna amp in the pic below should have 12V at the white wire (brown plug). You can see the coax connector is still in place but the other end doesnt arrive behind the dash. Real.oem shows it running up the left sill but it doesnt. Just trying to avoid ripping out too much carpet and trim :)

The antenna is powered on all E34 models iirc...

Try popping out the heater controls and having a rummage down the back - also If it's a RHD, try popping out the glovebox ceiling and see if it's coiled up on top.

What kinda muppet was the PO?

EDIT: You're sure it's not hiding behind other wiring inside the left panels?

whiskychaser
07-17-2007, 05:18 AM
The antenna is powered on all E34 models iirc...
Try popping out the heater controls and having a rummage down the back - also If it's a RHD, try popping out the glovebox ceiling and see if it's coiled up on top.
What kinda muppet was the PO?
EDIT: You're sure it's not hiding behind other wiring inside the left panels?

Yes its RHD. Looked in all the places you mention but it isnt there. Its still connected at the antenna amp end. But I didnt fancy taking out the rear seat back or the centre console to trace it down if I could avoid it. Its in for MOT so will have another look later. Think PO only liked James Last - I got a free CD with the car:)

whiskychaser
07-18-2007, 06:09 AM
Lots of muttering and cursing later and I found the coax from antenna amp ended behind the panel where the jack lives. Of course thats the first place you look isnt it? :) Good news is that there was enough cable to re-route back to the dash and with a new din/iso connector my radio works great on am/fm/lw.

Ferret
07-18-2007, 06:12 AM
Lots of muttering and cursing later and I found the coax from antenna amp ended behind the panel where the jack lives. Of course thats the first place you look isnt it? :) Good news is that there was enough cable to re-route back to the dash and with a new din/iso connector my radio works great on am/fm/lw.

Lol, what the hell was it doing in the jack housing?

whiskychaser
07-18-2007, 06:51 AM
Lol, what the hell was it doing in the jack housing?
Maybe went to an amp or something. There are lots of pairs of speaker wire that come to an abrupt end in the same place. Very tidy :( Oh, and a four pin plug. Anyway I can listen to Radio 2 while I sort it out:)

Ferret
07-18-2007, 07:14 AM
Maybe went to an amp or something. There are lots of pairs of speaker wire that come to an abrupt end in the same place. Very tidy :( Oh, and a four pin plug. Anyway I can listen to Radio 2 while I sort it out:)
I wonder if the PO had one of those strange separate DAB decoders hidden under there?

R2 for the win! Their intelligent humour amuses me somewhat.

Christ, I'm only 24 and an old fart already :P