PDA

View Full Version : what were bmw thinking!!

adashio
07-13-2007, 08:00 AM
ok so i have some pitting on my roof that irritates me (the PO didnt have a garage, no surprise in sydney) so i bought a touch up kit

they have tiny bottles and expect you to use this MASSIVE brush...i mean comon! its a 12ml bottle, that brush can nearly hold 12ml's worth.

so, does anyone have paint scratch tips?
i have both the paint and clearcoat, ive applied the paint but i dnt know how im going to apply the clearcoat and make it blend in....its going to be this strange looking blob. do i apply a drop's worth and sand it all the way back which will be quite a bit....

tips on how to do paint scratch repair properly would be excellent!
i have metallic paint (324) oxford green which makes it that much harder

Morgenster
07-13-2007, 08:22 AM
ok so i have some pitting on my roof that irritates me (the PO didnt have a garage, no surprise in sydney) so i bought a touch up kit

they have tiny bottles and expect you to use this MASSIVE brush...i mean comon! its a 12ml bottle, that brush can nearly hold 12ml's worth.

so, does anyone have paint scratch tips?
i have both the paint and clearcoat, ive applied the paint but i dnt know how im going to apply the clearcoat and make it blend in....its going to be this strange looking blob. do i apply a drop's worth and sand it all the way back which will be quite a bit....

tips on how to do paint scratch repair properly would be excellent!
i have metallic paint (324) oxford green which makes it that much harder

This seems pretty OK:

http://web-cars.com/detail/touchup.php

adashio
07-13-2007, 08:36 AM
thanks, yeah what i did for one scratch was

used the pointy edge of a compass to roughen up the inside to make the paint stick, then used methelated spirits to clean it down then used a toothpick to apply the paint but the clearcoat wanted to go on in these huge blobs and it didnt want to even out either, humph, will try on some other chips tomorrow i guess.

Morgenster
07-13-2007, 09:01 AM
thanks, yeah what i did for one scratch was

used the pointy edge of a compass to roughen up the inside to make the paint stick, then used methelated spirits to clean it down then used a toothpick to apply the paint but the clearcoat wanted to go on in these huge blobs and it didnt want to even out either, humph, will try on some other chips tomorrow i guess.

Actually, AFAIK best practice is to have some of it 'stick out' and then correct with compound.

Morgenster
07-13-2007, 09:04 AM
Edit: double post

Alan_525i
07-13-2007, 02:13 PM
This will make your chip repairs look like a pro with nearly zero effort. Yes, the blob and sand method is the best way to do it, but really the difference is insignificant.

http://www.langka.com/

Podmore
07-15-2007, 06:36 AM
Try mixing some colour with the clear coat; thin it out with acrylic thinners to aid flow; use a #0 or #1 fine point artists brush; fill the scratch or chip with paint using several applications, allowing the paint to dry between applications; mix 50% acrylic thinners with 50% Prepsol (wax & grease remover), and using a small flat-faced hard rubber or plastic block wrapped in T-shirt material or similar, wet with the thinners/Prepsol mix and rub over the repair to remove excess paint; buff off residue with a soft cloth and allow to dry; polish with a fine cutting compound. With metallic paints you may never get a perfect match but it should be pretty good.