PDA

View Full Version : Paint scratch questions

brendanm
07-11-2007, 08:51 PM
I woke up this morning to find to patches on the hood of my car, that appear to be from a cat or some such. I keep it in a covered garage, but didn't think to cover it as well.

Anyways, the patches are quite noticeable, and they caught my eye. Otherwise the car has a near immaculate paint job considering it's almost 20years old now. I want desperately to repair the damage, but before I take it to an autobody or detail shop, I want input from you fellas on the forum, as you all really seem to be the best resource for information.

I've attached some pictures, the scratches don't appear to be too deep, maybe only damage to the clear coat, but any information or suggestions you might have on repairing the damage would be great.

bmwrp8
07-11-2007, 08:53 PM
that sucks...im not a pro but try buffing it out first.Hope its not that deep..damn cats

gjmane36
07-11-2007, 09:01 PM
I had posted a simular question on removing swirl marks. Check it out. If the scratches are not too deep, using a product that removes swirl marks may help. Other wise, wash, claybar the area to remove any loose material, and use a polishing compound gently, followed by a cleaner wax or one that removes swirl marks. Dupont Teflon Car Wax and Zymol were mentioned several times as good products to use for removing swirl marks.

CharlesAFerg
07-11-2007, 10:49 PM
holy crap, what the hell was the cat doing?
Looks like clearcoat fade to me, or someone with sandpaper...

I'd have to see it in person.
Read the thread the previous user is referring to.

Rick L
07-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Try polishing compound like GS27 (see link below). It works GREAT for removing scratches and faded paint! After polishing, apply Liquid Glass... You would be very happy with the result!!! Trust me!!! :D

http://www.gs-27.com/?source=gg&camp=gs27&grp=gs&term=gs27&s_kwcid=gs27 |746661319&gclid=CMb69vKeo40CFSGkQAod_FT33g

I woke up this morning to find to patches on the hood of my car, that appear to be from a cat or some such. I keep it in a covered garage, but didn't think to cover it as well.

Anyways, the patches are quite noticeable, and they caught my eye. Otherwise the car has a near immaculate paint job considering it's almost 20years old now. I want desperately to repair the damage, but before I take it to an autobody or detail shop, I want input from you fellas on the forum, as you all really seem to be the best resource for information.

I've attached some pictures, the scratches don't appear to be too deep, maybe only damage to the clear coat, but any information or suggestions you might have on repairing the damage would be great.

BMWCCA1
07-13-2007, 10:40 AM
Cats don't do that any more than your own fingernails do. Looks like someone put something down on your car and then dragged it picking it back up. I've got four cats that frequently perch on my cars that have no garage and other than muddy footprints, they do no harm. Don't blame the cats or you may end up like this guy: http://www.pet-abuse.com/cases/8697/VA/US/

repenttokyo
07-13-2007, 10:44 AM
holy crap, what the hell was the cat doing?
Looks like clearcoat fade to me, or someone with sandpaper...

yeah, doesn't look like cats to me, looks like someone scuffed or dragged something across that surface, like steel wool, sandpaper, a heavy leather bag...

xspeedy
07-13-2007, 11:05 AM
If you don't have a PC, do yourself a favor and get one. Then with the appropriate pad, make several passes with Menzerna Intesive Polish (IP) and a couple of passes with Finishing Polish II (FPII).

632 Regal
07-13-2007, 02:05 PM
Wow...good thing I live in the country.

kidding I have a cat of my own.

Cats don't do that any more than your own fingernails do. Looks like someone put something down on your car and then dragged it picking it back up. I've got four cats that frequently perch on my cars that have no garage and other than muddy footprints, they do no harm. Don't blame the cats or you may end up like this guy: http://www.pet-abuse.com/cases/8697/VA/US/

BMWCCA1
07-13-2007, 02:16 PM
Wow...good thing I live in the country.

kidding I have a cat of my own.This was in the "country". Don't be fooled by the "upscale neighborhood" description. Everyone was shocked to find there is no law regarding shooting of pets, but horses and donkeys are protected apparently by county code.