PDA

View Full Version : radio antenna issues

adashio
07-05-2007, 10:54 PM
ok i had issues with my first aftermarket stereo (faulty unit). so now i installed a clarion everything works fine except the radio. the owner before me hacked the antenna cable (for whateva reason) so i have the antenna PLUG with wires sticking out the other end, and the actual antenna wire with wires sticking out

when i join the two together i get NO reception

when i place my fingers on the insulation on both sides of the cable(s) i get medium reception.

does the antenna in the glass need power to work? im not sure whats happening, its SOMETHING to do with the antenna in the glass as i connect a random house antenna to the headunit and it works fine.

i still have *remote power* cable on the bmw wiring. do i need to connect this to the power antenna cable on my headunit?? what is *remote power* for?

dennyg
07-05-2007, 11:03 PM
ok i had issues with my first aftermarket stereo (faulty unit). so now i installed a clarion everything works fine except the radio. the owner before me hacked the antenna cable (for whateva reason) so i have the antenna PLUG with wires sticking out the other end, and the actual antenna wire with wires sticking out

when i join the two together i get NO reception

when i place my fingers on the insulation on both sides of the cable(s) i get medium reception.

does the antenna in the glass need power to work? im not sure whats happening, its SOMETHING to do with the antenna in the glass as i connect a random house antenna to the headunit and it works fine.

i still have *remote power* cable on the bmw wiring. do i need to connect this to the power antenna cable on my headunit?? what is *remote power* for?
cant answer all your questions but connection for glass antenna is located under quarter panel headliner on drivers side. You may want to check and see if the cable is connected there and to the radio. It may be as simple as plugging one in...

Dr. evil
07-05-2007, 11:07 PM
the remote power turns the unit on when you start your car.

pretty shur the antenna does not have power to it.

etcetera
07-06-2007, 12:36 AM
Remote power is a wire from the radio that gets hooked up to the remote lead on amps or other accessories and turns them on when the radio is on. The radio gets turned on by the accessory circuit from the car.

There is a box that controls the antenna, the white wire needs to be hooked up for this box to work. It powers the antenna box and turns on the factory amp if you have it. The white wire from the factory radio is the same as remote power on an after market unit.

adashio
07-06-2007, 02:59 AM
hmmm but the only white wire i have IS the remote power cable. i think i also have a white and black one as well.

Ferret
07-06-2007, 05:25 AM
Without the remote switched line plugged into the antenna box, you'll get practically no reception on your antennas. (Yes, plural)

Dr. evil
07-06-2007, 10:26 AM
ahh yes accessory, remote same thing

whiskychaser
07-06-2007, 02:46 PM
Without the remote switched line plugged into the antenna box, you'll get practically no reception on your antennas. (Yes, plural)
Assume antenna box located on the nearside behind the courtesy light panel. So how do you get the panel off? Just pull or do you need to remove the backrest to get it off?

adashio
07-07-2007, 06:35 AM
alright well it was fixed (dumb thing on my part) the coax centre wire wasnt connecting properly, although the shield wire was fine the fine wire in the middle wasnt making a proper connection. problem solved whoo!! i finally have a cd player that ISNT silver YAY!!