PDA

View Full Version : sunroof probs

632 Regal
07-01-2007, 06:33 PM
how is this thing supposed to work? Mine wouldnt open but the interior material just moves crooked when trying to open it. I got it to move into the open position and its completely different than the E34. When its poped up what is the interior panel supposed to do? Any links would be great as this seems to be a big mystery right now. It wont open besides poping up and closing and the interior part slides back about an inch or 2.

edit: http://www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/main/721en/index.htm

now the fun begins...

632 Regal
07-04-2007, 04:09 PM
also in need of the sunroof motor cover, all the clips fell off like ashes. Searched for part numbers but no deals...any parts out there?

shogun
07-04-2007, 08:22 PM
also in need of the sunroof motor cover, all the clips fell off like ashes. Searched for part numbers but no deals...any parts out there?

Man, be inventive :)
Same happens to all of the old covers. If you buy a new one you need also new headliner material.
Use a hot glue gun, cut out some fitting plastic and make them the shape of the original clips (or similar so that they can be used) and then use the glue gun. Works. :D

632 Regal
07-04-2007, 11:18 PM
this is why I didnt mention it in the original post... it's the last of my worries. Took the sunroof cover off to see whats going on when I pushed it into different positions. found a bunch of extra un-needed broken plastic bits and the thing still jammed going back on the driver side. Surfed the situatin off and on for an hour and I found a plastic culprit jamming the slide mechenism from dropping into the slide. its kinda broken so I ordered devcon plastic welder (heard from an old customer that it's the whip) and will try to restore the thing. Moreover the main unit is busted to **** and parts are few and far between to fix this sort of ****. Should have bought a canadian car to alleviate this sort of turmoil.

Erich, the E32 is completely different than the E31 in the sunroof section and the TIS available via rapidshare dont have any information on the subject. The E32 is very similar to the E34 though. The E31 might have changed over the years but I have not looked into it. Thanks for your sharp eyes or I might not have even gotten to this point.

Man, be inventive :)
Same happens to all of the old covers. If you buy a new one you need also new headliner material.
Use a hot glue gun, cut out some fitting plastic and make them the shape of the original clips (or similar so that they can be used) and then use the glue gun. Works. :D

BigKriss
07-05-2007, 02:16 AM
damm car problems

Incantation
07-05-2007, 02:59 PM
haven't been around.. i could have saved u some time and energy..

the sunroof has two layers.. the top roof (that you see from the outside) and an inner board that lies beneath it..

when you open the roof to the "fully open" position, both boards move back into the roof, as on the e34
BUT
when you push it to the 'up' position, the upper part comes up like the e34, but the lower only slides back maybe 4-6 inches.. just to allow some air to come in. kind of a stupid system.. not sure why they designed it that way

i had the same problem with mine.. i just removed the lower board. i have posted something to this effect in this forum.. have a look in the history it should be here. if not i can re-post the pics and the instructions..

Incantation
07-05-2007, 03:02 PM
here

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=29905

632 Regal
07-06-2007, 12:02 PM
Thanks, I think once I get that devcon welder stuff I will be able to fix the peice that lets the inside slide back when tilted open. The rest seems to work kinda well so far. Damn brittle plastic they used back then. none of the teeth are broke (whew) and hopefully I will be able to make it sortof like new.

here

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=29905

Incantation
07-06-2007, 04:15 PM
good luck.. i just took my inner bit out entirely. if you wanna remove it take it through the sunroof.. comes out easy

632 Regal
07-09-2007, 01:01 AM
I'm going to try to make it work even with the broken peices, looks feasible so far.

good luck.. i just took my inner bit out entirely. if you wanna remove it take it through the sunroof.. comes out easy

grave77
07-09-2007, 01:21 PM
have you read through Here (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=29905)? Incantation sent some pics to help. honestly I havn't fixed mine yet. it looks like a puzzle to me..good luck lemme know how it goes