PDA

View Full Version : Rotor change without caliper carrier removal?

Ferret
06-11-2007, 09:00 AM
Does anyone know if the front and rear rotors/discs will come off the hub with the caliper carrier still attached? IE caliper removed, but I cant get the carrier off the knuckle as someone's impact wrenched them on :/

Just had a scary brake fade episode driving the car hard, and the brake rotors are now blue. Any help would be much appreciated.

neil_004
06-11-2007, 09:25 AM
I dont think they will. Get yourself a breaker bar. 1/2" or larger. If that isnt enough use a cheater bar over the breaker. Put some wd-40 on the bolts before you try removing them. The more time you can give it to soak in the better.

whiskychaser
06-11-2007, 10:30 AM
Does anyone know if the front and rear rotors/discs will come off the hub with the caliper carrier still attached? IE caliper removed, but I cant get the carrier off the knuckle as someone's impact wrenched them on :/

Just had a scary brake fade episode driving the car hard, and the brake rotors are now blue. Any help would be much appreciated.

Suspect you cant get the disc off without removing the carrier as the studs are in the way. Been in a big hurry a couple of times and just drifted a couple of studs in with a block of wood and a hammer-they are only splined after all. That way I was able to replace the discs. To pull the studs back out I just 'started' them in the splines, popped a wheel on and tighened the wheel nuts. I have not done this with a BM (yet) and cant overstress its risks.

Forget the above. Silliest thing I ever wrote. BMs have bolts, not wheel nuts.

Ross
06-11-2007, 11:11 AM
Nope, no way. They are always very tight. Nothing a long pipe won't cure.

icesoft
06-11-2007, 02:30 PM
Smoke Wrench? Put some heat on it and hit it with the impact wrench. Otherwise heat+long breaker bar+cheater pipe over breaker bar to get it loose. I had some caliper bolts on my 240SX that didn't want to move, ended up shearing the head off the bolt popping the caliper off, and taking the bolt out with a pipe wrench and heat.

mikeythekidd
06-11-2007, 02:50 PM
PB Plaster! I started putting it on a couple of days before and gave em a good squirt a couple of times. I went and bought a good 1/2" 8point 19mm socket to use with my breaker bar. It was a bitch but I got her off. While you are at it, better give the rotor retaining bolt a little shot of PB.
Good Luck!

Tiger
06-11-2007, 05:01 PM
Get a flex breaker bar from Sears and anything is possible.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Mechanics+Tools&pid=00944202000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Socket+Accessories&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Barney Paull-Edwards
06-11-2007, 06:05 PM
There are few Snap-on tools worth the money but 13,15,17,19mm and a breaker bar are worth every penny.If you have a friend with a rattle gun or know anybody at Kwik-Fit, get them to rattle them loose, can be done in-situ.Failing that, drive down here and our lads will do it for you.

Tiger
06-11-2007, 06:53 PM
Autozone loan tools for free... but don't know what they loan out.

gale
06-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Heat the surrounding portion that the bolt threads into with a propane torch, smack the head of the bolt with a hammer, get a snug fitting socket & breaker bar and put a bottle jack under the end of the handle.

Russell
06-11-2007, 07:55 PM
front will, especially if worn. I removed my front rotors to have them turned. Pull the caliper out of the carrier and it should work. I thik I turned the rotor slightly. Rear will not because of the emergency brake shoes.

Ferret
06-13-2007, 04:47 AM
Hmm, Cheers for the thoughts guys. I think I'm gonna get a breaker bar and try again this weekend -

I like the look of this: http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A250783&ts=28208&id=34910

While I'm at it, I might swap over the wheel bearings as well so I dont have to bother with getting the discs off the hubs. I know the front left bearing is a bit buggered!

Hmm, anyone rate the ATE power discs/rotors?
http://www.eurocarparts.com/images/Products/926110050.jpg

They're going cheap at £36 each at the moment.
Yeah, I'm aware that with the grooves they'll eat pads, might throw some ebc greenstuff pads on there too.

Cheers for the offer Barney, might have to take you up on it if the breaker bar doesnt work its magic.