PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy 99-01 540/6 or 97-98 M3 4-door 5spd?

oufyaba
05-07-2004, 04:31 PM
Hi all,

I am a former E34 owner, and looking at my next car. Narrowed down to two cars,

97-98 M3 4-door 5spd
9-01 540/6 sports package, etc

The M3 is more within my budget 20-25k. The ones I am looking at have 50k miles, 1 owner, and maintained since day 1. No major repairs, including original Water pump, T-stat housing and T-stat. M3 is smaller.

99-01 540/6
Mostly interested in the 01 shape with the angel eyes, since it's a much better looking car. 540s are bigger, safer and stronger cars, heavier also. I don't mind upping my price to get a very nice 01 540/6 sport between 25-30k, but in that price range, the 01s 6 speeds either have high mileage 70k+, or they are above my price range $34k+.

So I am kind of in a dilemma. I have also thought about a 01 530 5 speed sport. And haven't ruled that out either. But I want to get something powerful, so I don't start upgrading things later and spend more money.

From a technical standpoint, what's the reliability of the 540 vs. the M3? Say a 01 540 75k miles, vs. a 97 M3 5-speed with 50k miles? Engine? Tranny? Repair costs? Most likely to break after I buy it?

If I decide to buy the M3, should I insist that the seller change the water pump and T-stat housing, etc? How about the 540s. Any recommended replacements?

Thanks much in advance for any advice...

Francino

Bimmer Nut Ed
05-08-2004, 02:44 AM
I don't have a lot to say, but I would vote for a 540 6sp for the following reasons.

And as background, I do own a 1997 740i. Plus some other bimmers.

Anyway, I would think the M car is more a collectors item, than a daily driver. I would also think the M car is more expensive to maintain.

So, given that, I would want a 540 manual. Slightly easier to maintain, as the V8 also has higher maintenance costs. Plus more room and a newer/safer body style. I'd much prefer the E46 m3, IMHO.

Also, IMHO milage on any Bimmer, really means nothing. Particularly on a manual transmission. They're going to run forever, anyway you look at it! Might not be you, but someone is going to drive it past 300k miles!

Again, not scientific, but my humble opinion. Just had to share.

Unregistered
05-08-2004, 07:08 AM
I don't have a lot to say, but I would vote for a 540 6sp for the following reasons.

And as background, I do own a 1997 740i. Plus some other bimmers.

Anyway, I would think the M car is more a collectors item, that a daily driver. And also I would also thing the M car is more expensive to maintain.

So, given that, I would want a 540 manual. Slightly easier to maintain, as the V8 also has higher maintenance costs. Plus more room and a newer/safer body style. I'd much prefer the E46, IMHO.

Also, IMHO milage on any Bimmer, really means nothing. Particularly on a manual transmission. They're going to run forever, anyway you look at it! Might not be you, but someone is going to drive it past 300k miles!

Again, not scientific, but my humble opinion. Just had to share.