PDA

View Full Version : 'do not remove' coolant pipe

nk530
05-10-2007, 03:28 PM
well, It's time to replace the o-rings on the coolant cross-pipes. I finally had a low coolant light.
I can see that there is some coolant coming out of the front of the larger pipe, right behind the water pump. Can't see anything in back.
The problem with all this is that I JUST replaced the pcv plate, and all the intake manifold gaskets.
I'm thinking I might try to replace the seals on both ends of both pipes. Is this just asking for trouble, or is there a chance I could come out of all this (sanity and all)? I just really really dont want to pull that manifold off again.

nate

Evan
05-10-2007, 03:40 PM
I have the intake off of my car right now... I'm in the process of reassembly. (in fact, the keyboard is turning black from my dirty hands.)

I know our cars have different motors but I don't see how you can replace the seals without removing the intake. Is it possible on yours?

nk530
05-10-2007, 03:45 PM
the radiator probably has to come out to get the rear seals seated correctly, but I am under the impression that the front seals (the ones that are leaking on my car) can be tackled by merely removing the water pump.

Basiclly that's my question. I assume the front o-rings can be replaced by just removing the pump, but how hard is it to get the pump off without pulling the seals out on the rear end of the pipe?

bbig119
05-11-2007, 04:15 AM
Well, you should be able to replace the pipes if they break loose in the rear even with the intake on. It wouldn't be much fun, but with patience it could be done. You will have to remove the water pump though, but if you're careful you will not need to remove the radiator to do this.

Evan
05-11-2007, 07:02 AM
if you only need to change the water pump o-rings you will be able to do it without removing the intake

i misunderstood.. thought you meant the accumulator o-rings!

Tiger
05-11-2007, 07:13 AM
If you are just gonna replace the o-ring, you might as well change the water pump. The fact your O-ring is leaking... means it is probably time to change the waterpump.

As for the back oring... geez... you should have done the whole thing in one shot!

632 Regal
05-11-2007, 03:13 PM
you can work it off the front carefully. You need to clean the crud where the o ring seals. Tiger's right about the pump, if the ring is that old and crusty then the pump should be replaced...along with all hoses and belts...maintanance.

the radiator probably has to come out to get the rear seals seated correctly, but I am under the impression that the front seals (the ones that are leaking on my car) can be tackled by merely removing the water pump.

Basiclly that's my question. I assume the front o-rings can be replaced by just removing the pump, but how hard is it to get the pump off without pulling the seals out on the rear end of the pipe?