PDA

View Full Version : fuel smell in garage

632 Regal
05-07-2007, 08:21 PM
raw fresh gasoline smell. not a lot but if the weather warms up it's stronger probably from the fuel expanding and venting out somewhere. Cant tell where its coming from front back nodda. No drips and the filters seem dry.

any clues?

shogun
05-07-2007, 11:59 PM
Been there, done it. I replaced all fuel lines from the pipes which come up from driver side firewall till the end where they go back to the charcoal filter and then are connected to a pipe which goes back into the tank.

Check all connections, replace all BMW one-way-hose clamps, place an order to Autohaus Arizona for the fuel hoses (in my case 2 sizes /diameter) and you can spend a nice weekend in the engine room.
Not that easy on a 750, probably more difficult on a 850, as there will be less space even.
On Bimmerboard E32 there is an instruction for the 750, maybe that hekps a bit
http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/leersmd/SI%20%20Replacement%20of%20Fuel%20Pressure%20Hoses .pdf

632 Regal
05-08-2007, 12:17 AM
saved that sucker... another Q, I have the check engine display (among ither things) and cant do the stomp test. have you heard if there is a different way of checking the codes or if it is a different technique than the E34? I did the reboot but the same warnings came back.

edit: Egads... just read the bullitin, that looks like a pain in the ass.

shogun
05-08-2007, 12:28 AM
I think the E31 system is different. For example this airbag reset tool, oil and service intervals tool from Zymexx in Germany does not work on the E31.
Checked on RF and it seems that only early models (till 1994/) will work, check that out
http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e31/search.php?st=stomp+test&dosearch=Search%21&ps=20&m=natural&o=default

First suspects always:
batteries (BOTH!!!!) to weak
distributors/rotors
throttling valves to be cleaned
air leaks in intake system

Make sure that both batteries are working fine, apparently that is very important on the E31.

632 Regal
05-08-2007, 01:52 AM
I'll check that link...

First suspects always:
batteries (BOTH!!!!) to weak-on battery tender, good voltage
distributors/rotors-ehh who knows
throttling valves to be cleaned-to do list
air leaks in intake system-none found when inspected

have lots of work and parts ahead of me.

grave77
05-08-2007, 07:50 AM
is that the only reason for the gas smell? I get it when I drive for long time in summer. I smell it inside too even though the vents are in recycle mode.

632 Regal
05-13-2007, 04:54 PM
alrighty, now I notice gas smell when the car is just sitting in storage and the temps get warmer, is it possible the charcoal canister is fubared? uh...where is the canister?

Been there, done it. I replaced all fuel lines from the pipes which come up from driver side firewall till the end where they go back to the charcoal filter and then are connected to a pipe which goes back into the tank.

Check all connections, replace all BMW one-way-hose clamps, place an order to Autohaus Arizona for the fuel hoses (in my case 2 sizes /diameter) and you can spend a nice weekend in the engine room.
Not that easy on a 750, probably more difficult on a 850, as there will be less space even.
On Bimmerboard E32 there is an instruction for the 750, maybe that hekps a bit
http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/leersmd/SI%20%20Replacement%20of%20Fuel%20Pressure%20Hoses .pdf

grave77
05-14-2007, 11:11 PM
I guess you should go for the classic rubber to metal end joints, they do get mushy and leak some gas, especially when it gets warm you will smell each drop of gas due to evaporation. so jack it up ... trace the pipes from the tank and back ... do that in a warm climate so you will use ur nose too ;)

Incantation
07-05-2007, 03:01 PM
did you solve this problem? i just found the solution for mine.. i can tell you exactly what you need to check..

grave77
07-06-2007, 08:13 AM
pls enlighten us ... I was just waiting for this too :)

632 Regal
07-06-2007, 12:05 PM
no I didn't just been chillin waiting for more stuff to arrive. Going to be a huge wrenching session one of these days.

did you solve this problem? i just found the solution for mine.. i can tell you exactly what you need to check..

Incantation
07-06-2007, 04:13 PM
k u have two fuel lines coming from the tank.. first place to check is the seal above both fuel pumps. easy to do:
- remove rear center console
- remove back seat.. 10mm hex for both, one on each side of seat (inner and outer)
- look on top for signs of leakage.. tighten if necessary

2. check fuel filters:
- jack up rear left side, look under car, forward of the rear tire, you will find two canisters.. there are a bunch of hose clamps there.. tighten em all

3. check fuel lines by motor:
- i would work backwards (from the top of the motor as it's easier) first:
- remove the cover to the motor (4 phillips bolts, they're the type you turn 90 degrees and they come off
- remove air filter for air con:
-- two bolts on the left and right side of the unit need to come off (you will need 8mm socket plus long extension to make this easy). the bolts are under the top overhand on the side of the unit
--3 10mm bolts come off from the top cover
--1(one) 9mm bolt in the center by the base of the passenger windshield wiper has to be loosened (doesn't have to come off)

so now it's off.. look behind the motor you will see dual lines connection to dual pipes:
- there will be 4 hose clamps directly behind the motor on the drivers' side.. tighten em up good.. make sure u have spares in case u strip em.
- there are 2 more if you follow the line down by the drivers' side in the direction of the power steering pump. a bit of a pain to get at, but do those up too.
- the last two are reachable from the underside of the motor.. but first u have to take off some shielding first.. there's a metal plate you will find, it's all 10mm bolts to undo it, and i wouldn't even bother putting the plate back on.. does fuk all anyway. anyway, if you can't find the last 2 hose clamps, just follow the fuel lines from the back of the car by the fuel filter to the front and see where they go. bitch to get at.. but something to troubleshoot

4. check the connection to the fuel rails.. i've not done this myself.. didn't have to. a bit trickier than the process thus far.. i would leave it unless you do the above and the car still stinks

i think that's it.. if u have any q's fire away (it's an easy job)