PDA

View Full Version : Okay guys... is my E30 cooked?

TC535i
05-06-2004, 11:02 AM
The other day, on the way to work, I notice the temp is getting higher than usual. When I hit my offramp, I notice a bit of smoke/steam coming out from under the hood, and as I slow to idle, the oil pressure light comes on. I give it a little gas and that goes away, I pull the car over and pop the hood. Torn hose, not sure of the reason. I replace the hose on lunch break, and drive it home after work... but it overheats on the way. I keep pulling it over, letting it cool down, and generally limping it home.

Now it has a tough time starting, and I hear a little bit of bottom-end noise (very slight, but apparant) at idle. When I just start it up and let it run, it just warms up and goes straight to overheating. No heat from the vents either, so looks like for some reason, coolant isn't circulating. Gonna pull the t-stat to see if it's seized, but I'm doubting it. I'm thinking of bypassing the heater core to see if that's plugged, which is definitely a possibility... could it be the waterpump failing internally? These cars had the metal impellar, so I don't think that's it.

Anyhow... anybody have a guess at why the oil pressure dropped at idle? I've heard of E30's having this problem, but why during the overheat? And why doesn't it want to start now... any ideas on that? What do you guys think my plan of attack should be?

Thanks a ton...

-Tim

winfred
05-06-2004, 12:06 PM
sounds roasted, proabably got hot enough to cook the rings and loose their tension, that or the gasket is blown in a few places, id do a compression test. as for op not much of a problem on m20s, switch or wire could be cooked, the wire goes behind the dist cap. when one dumps it's water theirs nothing to conduct the heat to the sensor so no way of knowing on how hot it got, not starting is a bad sign, look at the plugs and see if then have metal deposits on em

Unregistered
05-07-2004, 11:58 PM
Hey,

I'd first check and make sure there isn't an air blockage in your coolant line. If you are not getting any heat, it sounds like this simple problem. Just bleed the air out.

Also check your thermostat, hey you never know.

I wouln't say your engine is cooked.. it takes alot to kill these m20's!

TC535i
05-13-2004, 11:39 AM
Hey,

I'd first check and make sure there isn't an air blockage in your coolant line. If you are not getting any heat, it sounds like this simple problem. Just bleed the air out.

Also check your thermostat, hey you never know.

I wouln't say your engine is cooked.. it takes alot to kill these m20's!

Any guesses on why it's so hard to start after this? I tried bleeding it... didn't really get any air, just a dribble of coolant. Hard to tell if it's pumping full-force, maybe a physical blockage or just a major air pocket?

I should try to flush it with one of those prestone kits, see if it pushes thru...

shragon
05-13-2004, 06:08 PM
yea, i you should check your thermostat (maybe just replace it) and make sure the air is bled out.

dunno why it's hard to start tho.