PDA

View Full Version : Confession (head lowered in shame):

zmuff
05-06-2004, 08:38 AM
I have never driven a 3 series (any 3 series). Yes to e34's, e39's, e32's, e28's, e38's, and even an occasional e24. But never a three...it was not intentional, honest.

Bimmer Nut Ed
05-06-2004, 10:38 AM
Well, there's ample reason to address this minor defect in your Bimmer driving background. Run, don't walk, to your nearest BMW dealer and test drive a brand new M3. Yes, M3. What the hell, you've waited this long, you might as well go fror the gusto! Go all the way. You never know, you may just end up with a new ride! Didn't wifey, or the GF want a new car?

Enjoy.

It's kinda cool being on this new board, cause of the low activity on it right now, you can talk **** (like this). hehe

Bimmer Nut Ed
05-06-2004, 10:41 AM
The the Z3 fits into the 3 Series category, at least in my book. I just got the Z3 home, having towed it from the dealer. They quoted me $653.00 for a new water pump and shroud, and belt! I'm going to buy them no from BMA, let see what that runs me!

And the quote said "anything else they find" would be additional. I guarantee the job at the dealer would have run into the $1k range when all was said and done. Well, once the back heals, looks like I have a new project!

billb
05-07-2004, 08:20 AM
I have never driven a 3 series (any 3 series). Yes to e34's, e39's, e32's, e28's, e38's, and even an occasional e24. But never a three...it was not intentional, honest.

I had NEVER even ridden in one, but knew that it was THE car I wanted (after having driven an RX7 or two since 1991). It is an absolute HOOT to drive. I can imagine a 325iS would be a lot of fun too, not to mention the original M3 (four-cylinder). I know lots of folks on here have E36 and even E46 3-series, but bang-for-buck in my eyes is in the E30. I have invested a total of around $5500 in mine, including the $2900 purchase price, and it is one of the best investments I've made car-wise. Little by little, I'm getting it where I want it, hopefully ready for a track day in the fall of the year...

And sure, take Ed's advise, run, don't walk, to your nearest dealer, and drive a new one. Then go drive an E30/E36 and see what you like... :)

Bill B.

winfred
05-07-2004, 08:50 AM
the problem i have with the e30 m3 is no torque, we had one as a shop car for a year or two, i want to find a good body and suspension with a blown motor to transplant the 2.9 m20 i am in the process of building into

zmuff
05-09-2004, 03:36 PM
As much as I'd like to have a new M3, the scraps leftover from my paycheck after wifey and the three daughters get hold of it just won't cut a new car payment. But...I have been reading up on the e30 318is and that car sounds like a blast to drive, not too bad to work on either. I'm sure I can find one around here to test drive, and maybe I'll just add one to my toybox if it's worthy. Thanks for hearing my confession...I feel much better. That's no charge, right?

Jr ///M5
05-09-2004, 03:56 PM
The 318iS is a breeze to work on, and by now, the infamous profile gasket should have been replaced on most of them since they will most certainly have over 60k miles on them.

I found this one for $1300 and put another 2k into it. There were over 50 items addressed including the profile gasket, which meant the head was pulled off. The suspension was replaced, not lowered, just stock. The "iS" model comes with an M-Tech suspension, shadowline trim and Recarro type seats. The 24 valve M42 engine loves to sing around the redline area. For a small chassis, the 318iS can hold it's own, and still deliver nearly 30mpg on the highway and about 25mpg around town.

Parts are very reasonable, and it makes an excellent daily driver.

Definately one of BMW's best kept secrets.https://home.insightbb.com/~england31/Dscn0774.jpg