PDA

View Full Version : Broken a part & don't know what it is...

mango
04-21-2007, 11:55 PM
Hi All,

I was changing a knock sensor on my '95 e34 M50 (which is a real pain in the ass) and when I was putting things back together I broke! a plastic part which I am unsure of the function of. It appaears to be some sort of probe that plugs into the back of the airbox and has two hoses attached (I broke one off) which appear to then go to the throttle body. Not sure if its a fuel pressure regulator or temperature probe? There are no actual wires or sensors attached, part no is. BMW 1730682. If anyone knows, would it be ok to temporarily bypass so I can drive out to get a replacement part. This thing seems a bit fragile so I'm sure others may have broken.

Thanks
Andrew

mango
04-22-2007, 02:42 AM
Well now I've stopped panicking & investigated further, I believe that it was a secondary thermostat (to help with cold starting?) so should be ok to bypass for the time being. Just have to endure the pain of buying anther one..

Thanks
Andrew

DaveVoorhis
04-22-2007, 07:27 AM
Sounds like the thermostat for the throttle body water jacket. It's to prevent the throttle body from icing in cold weather, but not heat it when it's warm. It's safe to bypass unless you expect to be driving in damp, foggy weather close to the freezing point. :)

winfred
04-22-2007, 08:49 AM
bypassing it will heat the throttle body all of the time which will be fine till you can get another, i get rid of the circuit all together by taking the throttle body out of the circuit and connecting the hose back to the head, but it's hot as **** around here