PDA

View Full Version : Need New Cat

Steve N
04-17-2007, 03:06 PM
My '95 525i has failed emissions. I changed the plugs, oil, air filter, fuel filter, and ran some BG44k through the engine. It failed again. I took it to a shop I trust and they tested everything and determined the cat to be shot. They want to use factory parts, to the tune of $1400.

I want to use a magnaflow, and he will do it, but is worried about fit. Can someone give me some input on the fit of this part? It needs to be welded in? He much is he going to ding me if I go this way?

-Steve

Kalevera
04-17-2007, 07:15 PM
I'd go with the MF.

Sell your old cat for scrap on eBay. Assuming the honeycomb isn't melted, it's worth $2-$300.

Macv
04-17-2007, 07:49 PM
http://boortz.com/images/funny/free_cat.jpg

:D

hoser
04-17-2007, 09:52 PM
http://performance.drivewire.com/getparts/index.aspx?pdef=Catalytic%20Converter|Bmw|525I|199 5||||||Exhaust%20System

I'd think if you get the part and go to lentz or meineke or someplace like that, they'd rather put it on than send you someplace else. That way they couldn't jack you on the part at least. Should fit just fine I believe. Somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but that link gives specs, so you can just measure to make sure.

DallasBill
04-18-2007, 04:13 PM
My shop here in Dallas, whom I trust to the end, told me that they have never had a non-BMW cat pass emissions. They are an emissions testing shop too.

Just food for thought.

A few months back, when I still had my 94 525iM w/ 141k miles, they did an injector cleaning for me and mine then passed. But, my cat was still good.

Boone.Msi
04-18-2007, 04:25 PM
i was quoted $40 a cat, to weld in two new cats on my e34, shouldn't cost you much more than that.

As far as aftermarket cats on BMW's, from doing tons of research, magnaflows seem to do pretty well and last longer than other aftermarket ones. Most people's experience is, after installing an aftermarket cat, it last them about 2-3 years before it fails again.

Tiger
04-18-2007, 07:50 PM
The problem with most other cat is that they are much much smaller than OEM cat. The key to all this is the SIZE of the cat... Why do you think OEM cats are so big? So get the right Magnaflow cat with the right size... call them up to ask them what is the next bigger size you can put on...

Magnaflow is bigger than most aftermarket cats... but call them up and ask them what size is original one and you want to have that same size installed... let them match it up for you.