PDA

View Full Version : Help - alternator 1/2 removed ('94 530) m:

Beachcomber
05-04-2004, 09:13 PM
First of all, I've got both a bentley and the TIS - neither are exactly correct, of course;)

The problem I'm having is that I cannot seem to get the alternator to clear the oil filter cannister mounting bracket. I've twisted and turned the alternator, but I just cant seem to clear it. Bentley says to move the canister aside - mine mounts differently, and I can only move it 1-2 inches at most, and that is only FORWARD - not to the side as suggested. My next step is to remove the cannister altogether if I don't succeed soon.

The battery is disconnected. I've left the alternator connections attached since I cannot seem to gain access to them without first moving the oil cannister forward. I was hoping to move the alternator enough to gain access to the electrical connections from below.

If anyone has any suggestions or tips - I would greatly appreciate it.

Bill R.
05-04-2004, 09:48 PM
fsm...
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/alternatorm60.jpg

First of all, I've got both a bentley and the TIS - neither are exactly correct, of course;)

The problem I'm having is that I cannot seem to get the alternator to clear the oil filter cannister mounting bracket. I've twisted and turned the alternator, but I just cant seem to clear it. Bentley says to move the canister aside - mine mounts differently, and I can only move it 1-2 inches at most, and that is only FORWARD - not to the side as suggested. My next step is to remove the cannister altogether if I don't succeed soon.

The battery is disconnected. I've left the alternator connections attached since I cannot seem to gain access to them without first moving the oil cannister forward. I was hoping to move the alternator enough to gain access to the electrical connections from below.

If anyone has any suggestions or tips - I would greatly appreciate it.

Beachcomber
05-04-2004, 10:49 PM
Thanks Bill.

I was able to free the alternator, but I still can't seem to remove it as illustrated. It almost seems too large to fit between the radiator and the engine.

I think if I could remove the idler/tensioner pully, I'd be able to actually pull the alternator out.

Any other suggestions?

Bill R.
05-05-2004, 12:45 AM
followed the earlier instructions, thats why I didn't post them... here is the
first page where it tells you to take of the idler pulley:)
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/m60alternator2.jpg

Thanks Bill.

I was able to free the alternator, but I still can't seem to remove it as illustrated. It almost seems too large to fit between the radiator and the engine.

I think if I could remove the idler/tensioner pully, I'd be able to actually pull the alternator out.

Any other suggestions?

Beachcomber
05-05-2004, 07:22 AM
Thanks Bill - you're a lifesaver! btw, what is the fsm and is it available online anywhere?

Bill R.
05-05-2004, 07:49 AM
Thanks Bill - you're a lifesaver! btw, what is the fsm and is it available online anywhere?

Unregst.-ryan roopnarine
05-05-2004, 08:12 AM
how do you get the microfiche onto the internet so fast bill? i take it that's the only way to get the service manual pages? euro specification fiche?

Bill R.
05-05-2004, 05:22 PM
actually the fsm has been on cd for the last 8 years or so...

how do you get the microfiche onto the internet so fast bill? i take it that's the only way to get the service manual pages? euro specification fiche?