PDA

View Full Version : 0W-30, 0W-40, 15W-50......I'm lost

BennyM
05-04-2004, 05:39 PM
Alright, recent posts say great things about 0w-40 Mobile 1. I've been using 5w-30 for winter and 15W-50 for summer. Is the 0W-40 good for hot summers too? MN summer days range from 50f to 100f. Also, when I went to Pepboys to find 0W-40, they only had 0W-30. I don't know how big a deal that missing 10 is, so I'm asking:

1. Should I even bother with the 0w-40 for summer?
and
2. If so, should I keep looking for 0w-40 or is the 0w-30 close enough?

I think others may wonder this too. Thanks in advance.

BennyM

Tiger
05-04-2004, 06:59 PM
They say your local Walmart would have Mobil 1 0W40.

Unregistered
05-04-2004, 06:59 PM
You can use 10w-30 (actually 5w-30 or 0w-30 would be better) for winter and 15w-50 for summer. Mobil 1 0w-40 is perfect year around and heavy enough for summer use. What I would not recommend is using any Xw-30 during the hot months (average temps above 70f) and don't use 15w-50 when the average temp is below 30f.

BTW, Pep Boys does not stock 0w-40 for some reason, try Walmart, Kragen, Checker, Autozone, etc., all should have it. You can also use Mobil 1 5w-40 SUV forumula year around. It is simply Mobil 1 Delvac in a different package.

scott540
05-04-2004, 07:38 PM
I bought 0w-40 at Wal mart. Unfortunatley that was the only place that stocked around here. I hate going there. I used to buy 15w-50 at Target in Crystal MN

Unregistered
05-05-2004, 10:01 AM
I bought 0w-40 at Wal mart. Unfortunatley that was the only place that stocked around here. I hate going there. I used to buy 15w-50 at Target in Crystal MN

Welcome to the Club. The only reason I ever go to Walmart is because, ironically, they have the best selection of oil at the best prices. Every time I go there, I swear it is not worth the few dollars I save. Sometimes it is the only choice.

Cary

Unregistered
05-05-2004, 10:04 AM
I should also note that while it is not the best oil in the world, BMW Synthetic 5w-30 is a heavy 30 weight, almost 40 weight that is suitable for year round use. It is basically a Group III Hydrocracked Castrol Syntec with a better additive package than the over the counter syntec. For the $4.25 per quart it sells for, it is not a bad oil. I would recommend if it is available that you use the Mobil 1 0w-40 which is a Group IV PAO synthetic, but as some of found, it is not easy to find everywhere.

Cary

BennyM
05-05-2004, 12:00 PM
should I stick with 15w-50 for summer? People say the 0w-40 is better overall than 15w-50 (higher flash point, better protection, high temp and low temp). Thanks for all the info, but this is really my main question.

Tiger
05-05-2004, 01:05 PM
Yes... by all mean use 0W40.

Unregistered
05-05-2004, 03:37 PM
should I stick with 15w-50 for summer? People say the 0w-40 is better overall than 15w-50 (higher flash point, better protection, high temp and low temp). Thanks for all the info, but this is really my main question.

You can use 15w-50 for summer, but there is no need to. I would use 0w-40 year around and not worry about it. BTW, saying an oil is better than another because of a higher flash point is like saying that car is better than another because it has wider tires. Doesn't tell you anything important. Also, 0w-40 will pump much better than 15w-50 at cold tempuratures, the only advantage the 15w-50 has is higher film strength at high temps.

Cary

Rick L
05-05-2004, 07:45 PM
Better car? Wider tires? Doesn't tell you anything important? Every part (small or large) is a factor on car or oil. Wider tires mean better handling. Don't you agree? Higher flash point means higher resistant before it turns to vapor. Don't you agree?

You can use 15w-50 for summer, but there is no need to. I would use 0w-40 year around and not worry about it. BTW, saying an oil is better than another because of a higher flash point is like saying that car is better than another because it has wider tires. Doesn't tell you anything important. Also, 0w-40 will pump much better than 15w-50 at cold tempuratures, the only advantage the 15w-50 has is higher film strength at high temps.

Cary

Unregistered
05-06-2004, 10:19 AM
Better car? Wider tires? Doesn't tell you anything important? Every part (small or large) is a factor on car or oil. Wider tires mean better handling. Don't you agree? Higher flash point means higher resistant before it turns to vapor. Don't you agree?

Okay, lets break this down. A lotus Elise has little 205 section tires, a Hummer H2 has 315 section tires, so the Hummer handles better right!!! According to your logic it does. A single fact in a vacuum tells you nothing.

In the case of flash point, it tells you nothing except the tempurature that the oil has to be heated until it puts off enough vapors for them to ignite when a flame is held over the oil. It is, quite frankly the most meaningless number for oil specs.

The number that tells you how much an oil is likely to vaporize is the NOAK Volitility Number. This tells you when oil is heated to a certain tempurature for a certain length of time, how much in percent of the oil boils (turns to vapor) off. Good Noak numbers are below 8%, although the API allows up to 15% for SL rated oils.

If you are looking for good quality oils, you should be looking for the Europe Approvals. Good Ones to look for:

ACEA A5 (Long life thin oils)
ACEA A3 (Long Life heavier oils; BMW-LL spec and Mercedes 229 spec oils are all A3 Rated)
Mercedes 229.3 and/or 229.5

API ratings are basically meaningless and very low standards.

Cary
BMW LL-98 and/or LL-01

Rick L
05-06-2004, 11:36 AM
Nice logic?!?! So you never heard of people upgrading their RIMS+TIRES for better performance? Hummer H2 does have wide 315 but they are 70 tall compare to 40 or 45 for Lotus. I'm sure if you put some low profile and even wider tires on a Hummer H2, it would handle better than before... But why would you want to? They are two completely different autos for different use. O.K. it is hard to compare 0W-40 to 15W-50 since they are different and used for different reasons. But why would you want to use Mobil 1 15W-50 if Mobil 1 0W-40 outperforms in almost all category? Plus, BMW service manager from two different dealer DON'T recommend 15W-50 for E34 M50 or M20 here in Chicago, specially in winter. I wouldn't use 15W-50 on my E34 M50 unless I live in very hot climate. I have upgraded to Mobil 1 0W-40 few months ago and my car runs better and I don't have the annoying lifter noise during start-up anymore. Like many things, OILS DO GET BETTER AND IMPROVE WITH TECHNOLOGY.

[QUOTE=Unregistered]Okay, lets break this down. A lotus Elise has little 205 section tires, a Hummer H2 has 315 section tires, so the Hummer handles better right!!! According to your logic it does. A single fact in a vacuum tells you nothing.

Unregistered
05-06-2004, 12:19 PM
Rick,

Please show me you really aren't that dense!!!

The topic was raised about oil flash point relating to the quality of an oil. I explained that it really tells you nothing, similar to how the width of a tire tells you nothing about the handling of a car, much less the quality the tire or car that it placed.

You responded that "Wider tires mean better handling. Don't you agree?" I then explained, that no, wider tires do not automatically mean better handling and cited an extreme example as evidence to support my example. I will remind you again we are discussing the concept of taking one fact in a vacuum. You then turn around and start in on a diatribe concerning aspect ratios, rims, and then about oil quality and weights.

I would suggest you go back and reread the thread, as it seems as if the cold weather in Chicago has done more than make your oil thick. Hopefully after a couple of more readings you will grasp my original post and explanation. Just in case you don't, I would suggest if you want to continue this discussion that you keep in mind the quote "it is better to be silient and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and prove it."

Cary

Dick Schneiders
05-06-2004, 12:25 PM
It is attributed to Mark Twain.

Cool!!

Dick Schneiders

Rick,

Just in case you don't, I would suggest if you want to continue this discussion that you keep in mind the quote "it is better to be silient and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and prove it."

Cary

Unregistered
05-06-2004, 12:34 PM
Thanks for providing who the quote was, never knew it was the amazing Samual Clemens.

Rick L
05-06-2004, 01:47 PM
Right? You must think you know it all, "Cliff" or Cary. Silient? What's that? If you write in English, maybe I could understand it! Sorry if I offended your superior knowledge. I though this was a discussion forum? If I wanted an advice from one person, I'll read a book. You have a nice day!

Rick,

The topic was raised about oil flash point relating to the quality of an oil. I explained that it really tells you nothing, similar to how the width of a tire tells you nothing about the handling of a car, much less the quality the tire or car that it placed.

You responded that "Wider tires mean better handling. Don't you agree?" I then explained, that no, wider tires do not automatically mean better handling and cited an extreme example as evidence to support my example. I will remind you again we are discussing the concept of taking one fact in a vacuum. You then turn around and start in on a diatribe concerning aspect ratios, rims, and then about oil quality and weights.

I would suggest you go back and reread the thread, as it seems as if the cold weather in Chicago has done more than make your oil thick. Hopefully after a couple of more readings you will grasp my original post and explanation. Just in case you don't, I would suggest if you want to continue this discussion that you keep in mind the quote "it is better to be speak you mind and thought a fool, than to listen mouth and prove it."

Cary

Unregistered
05-06-2004, 02:12 PM
Right? You must think you know it all, "Cliff" or Cary. Silient? What's that? If you write in English, maybe I could understand it! Sorry if I offended your superior knowledge. I though this was a discussion forum? If I wanted an advice from one person, I'll read a book. You have a nice day!

Looks like you decided to prove it. It's rather pathetic that you have reduced yourself to chasing after typo's instead of addressing the topic.

Cary

632 Regal
05-06-2004, 02:15 PM
Like Rick said in almost all catagories.

As I understand flash point, thats the point of flamability which doesnt mean much other than the additives wont boil off as quickly as a lower flashpoint rating making the oil last longer between changes if you can keep it clean. Basicly it would be pretty hard to wear out the oil.

I say you live at the Equator where its real warm all year long then I would probably say go with the 15W50 but since most of us don't I would recommend the 0W40 as an all year oil.

scott540
05-06-2004, 02:49 PM
Man, you stay off the board for day and and the guests start fighting with each other over oil grades. Cool. I want Dick's T shirt and I use 0w-40 all year round.

Unregistered
05-06-2004, 02:57 PM
Like Rick said in almost all catagories.

As I understand flash point, thats the point of flamability which doesnt mean much other than the additives wont boil off as quickly as a lower flashpoint rating making the oil last longer between changes if you can keep it clean. Basicly it would be pretty hard to wear out the oil.

I say you live at the Equator where its real warm all year long then I would probably say go with the 15W50 but since most of us don't I would recommend the 0W40 as an all year oil.

See my above post about flashpoint, it does not relate to additive burnoff, NOAK Volitility does.

I absolutely agree, that in a Tropical Climate 15w-50 would be a fine choice, but unnecessary.

Dick Schneiders
05-06-2004, 03:00 PM
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." There is a picture of Mark Twain and a facsimile of his signature under it.

No mention of Sam Clemens, though. ;)

Thanks for providing who the quote was, never knew it was the amazing Samual Clemens.

Dick Schneiders
05-06-2004, 03:06 PM
It is one of the few shirts I wear that people actually stop and read. I have gotten some interesting comments about it, also.

I use Mobil One 0w-40 in one 1991 525i and 15w-50 in the other, at least for now. The 15w-50 was fine in the winter, but I did notice a slight more start up difficulty and the gas mileage is slightly lower. I used to use 10w-30 in all my cars, but I like the 0w-40 better and will probably go to it for the other 525i at my next oil change.

Dick Schneiders

Man, you stay off the board for day and and the guests start fighting with each other over oil grades. Cool. I want Dick's T shirt and I use 0w-40 all year round.

Bill R.
05-06-2004, 03:15 PM
is an indicator of the quality of the base stocks used and it is directly tied to volatility of an oil. IE the higher the flash point the lower the volatility leading to less vaporization of the lighter parts of the oil, ie lower consumption, more stable viscosity as it ages. So i would consider flash point to be an important factor in determining the quality of a particular oil
And there is really no need for you to be such a rude **** when you disagree with someone on here.

Rick,

I would suggest you go back and reread the thread, as it seems as if the cold weather in Chicago has done more than make your oil thick. Hopefully after a couple of more readings you will grasp my original post and explanation. Just in case you don't, I would suggest if you want to continue this discussion that you keep in mind the quote "it is better to be silient and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and prove it."

Cary

Hector
05-06-2004, 03:42 PM
is an indicator of the quality of the base stocks used and it is directly tied to volatility of an oil. IE the higher the flash point the lower the volatility leading to less vaporization of the lighter parts of the oil, ie lower consumption, more stable viscosity as it ages. So i would consider flash point to be an important factor in determining the quality of a particular oil
And there is really no need for you to be such a rude **** when you disagree with someone on here.

Unregistered
05-06-2004, 05:02 PM

Bill, if you read the thread, you will notice that Rick came swaggering in and wished to pursue an arguement in a rather rude manner. His rudeness was met in kind by my response. Of course you chose to degrade if further by refering to me as a "****". I guess when your not happy, you go around calling people names. I hate to tell you, but your calling me a "****" does nothing but show that you have some issues. I would guess that you are about 25 and not really yet secure with who you are. Don't worry, some kids, some age, and you will grow out of it.

Addressing your comment about flash point here is some more language describing what the NOACK Volitility Test (ASTM-5800) is:

"Volatility is measured by the principal, European test called NOACK, is the amount of oil lost (the light molecules) over time at a given temperature and pressure. It has a direct impact on high temperature engine oil effectiveness -- especially on viscosity, emissions and oil consumption. Today's oils have a NOACK volatility limit of 22 percent. Volatility losses for the coming ILSAC GF-3 oils -- due on store shelves just after the turn of the century -- could quite possibly be limited to 15 percent for all grades.

When an oil suffers from high volatility, and the lighter molecules evaporate, the oil thickens gradually getting out of "spec" and adversely effecting the performance of the lubricant and placing the engine at risk."

If you read that carefully, you will see that it is what you just described as the reason that you look at flash points. Instead you should be looking at Noack Volitility. Flash points bear very little relationship to evaporative losses. They are used primarly for used oil analysis. Here is a link to an extended discription of flash point use: http://www.practicingoilanalysis.com/article_detail.asp?articleid=19&relatedbookgroup=Maintenance

Cary

Hector
05-06-2004, 05:47 PM
because you just got complimented. There is major testosterone-releasing to be done...

632 Regal
05-06-2004, 05:53 PM
Im undecided if this is real or an attempt to **** with people here, knowledge is a great asset but claiming someone is dense for whatever reason does equate to a **** head. Not signing up and being a guest is fine, but to come in and claim superior knowledge at the expense of regulars that really try to help others is uncalled for. In other words you and your knowledge is welcome but take it easy.

or...

you are just a ****HEAD.

Welcome to our humble board.

Unregistered
05-06-2004, 06:11 PM
but to come in and claim superior knowledge at the expense of regulars that really try to help others is uncalled for. In other words you and your knowledge is welcome but take it easy.

or...

you are just a ****HEAD.

Welcome to our humble board.

Where did I claim some type of superior knowledge? I pointed out in a nice matter that Mr. Rick had some of his facts incorrect. Here is exactly what I wrote:

"You can use 15w-50 for summer, but there is no need to. I would use 0w-40 year around and not worry about it. BTW, saying an oil is better than another because of a higher flash point is like saying that car is better than another because it has wider tires. Doesn't tell you anything important. Also, 0w-40 will pump much better than 15w-50 at cold tempuratures, the only advantage the 15w-50 has is higher film strength at high temps."

In turn I received this response:

"Better car? Wider tires? Doesn't tell you anything important? Every part (small or large) is a factor on car or oil. Wider tires mean better handling. Don't you agree? Higher flash point means higher resistant before it turns to vapor. Don't you agree? "

To which I said:

"Okay, lets break this down. A lotus Elise has little 205 section tires, a Hummer H2 has 315 section tires, so the Hummer handles better right!!! According to your logic it does. A single fact in a vacuum tells you nothing.

In the case of flash point, it tells you nothing except the tempurature that the oil has to be heated until it puts off enough vapors for them to ignite when a flame is held over the oil. It is, quite frankly the most meaningless number for oil specs.

The number that tells you how much an oil is likely to vaporize is the NOAK Volitility Number. This tells you when oil is heated to a certain tempurature for a certain length of time, how much in percent of the oil boils (turns to vapor) off. Good Noak numbers are below 8%, although the API allows up to 15% for SL rated oils.

If you are looking for good quality oils, you should be looking for the Europe Approvals. Good Ones to look for:

ACEA A5 (Long life thin oils)
ACEA A3 (Long Life heavier oils; BMW-LL spec and Mercedes 229 spec oils are all A3 Rated)
Mercedes 229.3 and/or 229.5

API ratings are basically meaningless and very low standards. "

Mr. Rick came back and took the point off topic (the point being that flash point tells you little about an oil) and fired of the following volley:

"Nice logic?!?! So you never heard of people upgrading their RIMS+TIRES for better performance? Hummer H2 does have wide 315 but they are 70 tall compare to 40 or 45 for Lotus. I'm sure if you put some low profile and even wider tires on a Hummer H2, it would handle better than before... But why would you want to? They are two completely different autos for different use. O.K. it is hard to compare 0W-40 to 15W-50 since they are different and used for different reasons. But why would you want to use Mobil 1 15W-50 if Mobil 1 0W-40 outperforms in almost all category? Plus, BMW service manager from two different dealer DON'T recommend 15W-50 for E34 M50 or M20 here in Chicago, specially in winter. I wouldn't use 15W-50 on my E34 M50 unless I live in very hot climate. I have upgraded to Mobil 1 0W-40 few months ago and my car runs better and I don't have the annoying lifter noise during start-up anymore. Like many things, OILS DO GET BETTER AND IMPROVE WITH TECHNOLOGY. "

It was at that point I told him he was dense, because he just seemed to want to ignore the point. I would love you to point me to where I proclaimed my superior knowledge, especially in relationship to others. Unlike some others, I have stuck to the subject which was oil, and become what constitutes a better oil (or rather what numbers do not).

Cary

scott540
05-06-2004, 06:20 PM
I'm having some really wicked flashbacks here. It's like 1999 and I just got my first 5 series. I'm on some forum that was called roadflea or some **** like that and all of these idiots kept arguing about **** that doesn't really matter when all I wanted to know was what oil to use while attempting my first oil change in the 540 and where to buy a Bentley. All these idiots kept calling each other names while not using any of their own names. Bill are you really only 25? With all the helpful free knowledge you give out, I thought you would be at least 30.

Somebody ban Rick and Cary from here cause like Regal said...

Rick L
05-06-2004, 06:34 PM
Can’t we just get along? O.K. guys… Maybe my head is little dense from the cold weather in Chicago. Summer is near and I’m looking forward to it! I had my Bimmer nicely detailed today and ready for summer! Hope it doesn’t rain tonight…

Dick Schneiders
05-06-2004, 06:35 PM
This is nothing like Roadfly.

On Roadfly you would not be able to say "****" or "****", or even Dick. :p

Dick Schneiders

I'm having some really wicked flashbacks here. It's like 1999 and I just got my first 5 series. I'm on some forum that was called roadflea or some **** like that and all of these idiots kept arguing about **** that doesn't really matter when all I wanted to know was what oil to use while attempting my first oil change in the 540 and where to buy a Bentley. All these idiots kept calling each other names while not using any of their own names. Bill are you really only 25? With all the helpful free knowledge you give out, I thought you would be at least 30.

632 Regal
05-06-2004, 06:46 PM
so then Dick you wouldnt even be able to sign your own posts?

LOL

Cary,
I didnt mean superior knowledge thats just what I typed at the time, I meant that you were very knowledgable on the oil subject and you may have gotten offended by Bill, which also is ok but it just sounded like you were hammering on peoples oppinions, which again is ok. Your knowledge on the subject is very much appreciated since I didnt follow much of it anyways.

what was I talking about anyways?

Hector
05-06-2004, 06:46 PM
on some comments you made about Mark D on Roadfly, about him being helpful and being around to answer questions about his chip... In acknowlegding your comment by using your first name I got "Oops" as a substitute. That was a major turn off for me in that forum. Felt like I was in a 4th grade classroom...

This is nothing like Roadfly.

On Roadfly you would not be able to say "****" or "****", or even Dick. :p

Dick Schneiders

Rick L
05-06-2004, 06:47 PM
Hey, I don't want to be banned! Where else am I going to get helpful knowledge about my precious Bimmer? I'm sure Cary’s intent was all-good as well and any additional knowledge are always helpful. Even my lousy two cents…

632 Regal
05-06-2004, 06:48 PM
Lol

billy in slo
05-06-2004, 06:55 PM
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." There is a picture of Mark Twain and a facsimile of his signature under it.

No mention of Sam Clemens, though. ;)

PROVERBS 17:28
Even fools are thought to be wise when they keep silent; when they keep their mouths shut, they seem intelligent.

but there really is no need for such hostilities, is it any wonder why we will never have world peace (at least not in this world)?

scott540
05-06-2004, 07:52 PM
I was talking about the real old days when it was bimmer.org. you could say **** **** Dick whatever and post porn all day. You could even buy fake xenon headlights from some guy named Jimmy who liked to race people and post the stories about about it and his Porsche and whose dad bought him super chargers and stuff for his E39 540 which was strange because he had everthing that DINAN ever made on that thing but he stil drove an automatic 540. :p

Rory was the first person on that board to ever help me. My heater core started leaking a week after I bought the thing used from a Buick dealer. The salesman was brand new and thought I was kiddong when I said it had six speed. They replaced it under the 30 day warranty. Man that sales manager was pissed at the new guy that sold it to us. "since when are we replacing BMW heater cores?" I been on these boards 5 years almost now. I can change oil now, i replaced a battery, I can use a clay bar and I broke a lug bolt last month and paid somebody to repair it. I'm just here for the entertainment and maybe learn a little. I'm goin to get another beer now. I'm don't have to work tomorrow. I'm going to try changing fuel filters- both of 'em! Learned that here too.

DueyT
05-06-2004, 08:24 PM
*sniff.....sniff, sniff....sniff* ???

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/theoffice/images/yourgallery/troll.jpg

Bill R.
05-06-2004, 09:36 PM
less than 3 remarks questioning his intelligence in a single post... If you
ask any of the others you'll find that i rarely use profanity, typically only if the situation suits..I found your post offensive enough that I thought that the use of the term rude **** was accurate.... In my little blue collar world of mechanics thats fairly mild. And no, I don't typically go around calling people names if i'm unhappy...I find other ways to resolve it with them.
25 I will gladly take as a compliment and with any luck I won't ever age beyond that point. And of course i have issues but you aren't one of them.
growing out of it? At this point I'll be growing into depends before I'll be growing out of it....

Bill, if you read the thread, you will notice that Rick came swaggering in and wished to pursue an arguement in a rather rude manner. His rudeness was met in kind by my response. Of course you chose to degrade if further by refering to me as a "****". I guess when your not happy, you go around calling people names. I hate to tell you, but your calling me a "****" does nothing but show that you have some issues. I would guess that you are about 25 and not really yet secure with who you are. Don't worry, some kids, some age, and you will grow out of it.

Addressing your comment about flash point here is some more language describing what the NOACK Volitility Test (ASTM-5800) is:

"Volatility is measured by the principal, European test called NOACK, is the amount of oil lost (the light molecules) over time at a given temperature and pressure. It has a direct impact on high temperature engine oil effectiveness -- especially on viscosity, emissions and oil consumption. Today's oils have a NOACK volatility limit of 22 percent. Volatility losses for the coming ILSAC GF-3 oils -- due on store shelves just after the turn of the century -- could quite possibly be limited to 15 percent for all grades.

When an oil suffers from high volatility, and the lighter molecules evaporate, the oil thickens gradually getting out of "spec" and adversely effecting the performance of the lubricant and placing the engine at risk."

If you read that carefully, you will see that it is what you just described as the reason that you look at flash points. Instead you should be looking at Noack Volitility. Flash points bear very little relationship to evaporative losses. They are used primarly for used oil analysis. Here is a link to an extended discription of flash point use: http://www.practicingoilanalysis.com/article_detail.asp?articleid=19&relatedbookgroup=Maintenance

Cary

Unregistered
05-07-2004, 09:02 AM
So does this mean that we are done with this (mild) flame fest?! Hopefully so. If I offended anyone, it was not my intention.

Bottom line, Rick L and I agree that for 99% of cases M1 0w-40 is a better oil for BMW apps than 15w-50, we arrive at our conclusion for different reasons.

Cary

Dick Schneiders
05-07-2004, 09:25 AM
that we now know that Samuel Clemens plagarized the Old Testament!

Dick Schneiders

So does this mean that we are done with this (mild) flame fest?! Hopefully so. If I offended anyone, it was not my intention.

Bottom line, Rick L and I agree that for 99% of cases M1 0w-40 is a better oil for BMW apps than 15w-50, we arrive at our conclusion for different reasons.

Cary

BennyM
05-07-2004, 12:03 PM
people explode over a simple detail in my message. I only offered up the flash point as a positive quality about the oil for demonstrating that it might be better than the other Mobile 1s. A fact I picked up while reading other posts about 0w-40. It was only an example (one detail) and my purchasing the 0w-40 did not rely at all on flash point. I don't know what AKI and WXYZ 54 are used for, I just wanted to know what is best for my 525i. And I think I got my answer.

As for Rick and Cary, you guys were indeed being ****s, but it looks like you're better now. And Duey, that pic is disturbing and hilarious at the same time.

Lets all be done with this.

Thanks
BennyM