PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Answers Definitive ATF fluids post

Bill R.
03-22-2007, 11:55 AM
I would like to get some answers on the Lifetime atf fluids and in light of Mr. Graybeard and Tiger both saying they have used the Pennzoil product with no ill effects , thought i would start a thread trying to dig up as much info as possible

First off the only claims for pennzoil multi vehicle atf that i found that said it was ok for replacing various lifetime fluids was from a pennzoil dist. Johnryoung.com. Their data sheet indicated that it was ok but the pennzoil home website doesn't. They don't have a tech. hotline number to call for info only an email address and i didn't want a secretary to randomly answer my trans fluid query.

Then i searched for every body who makes any claims at all for replacements for any of the 4 special atf's that BMW or ZF specifies. Amsoil states clearly on their website that their synthetic atf is a suitable replacement for ESSO LT 71141 and the BMW 7045E but they don't mention the Shell La 2634.

Kendall versa trans is also supposed to be suitable for a replacement for all 4 of the bmw fluids. On a kendall dist. website i found this document but the same info was not on the Kendall website itself. There was a tech info hotline however and i called it this morning. The fellow that i talked to stated that yes it was a suitable replacement for these bmw fluids. But he also stated that if it was still under warranty he would stick with the manufacturers specs to avoid any potential argument from the manufacturer that you used a fluid that wasn't approved by them. He also said that if it was off warranty he wouldn't hesistate to use it and that they had tested the fluid in all the applications that specified special fluids with no problems. Here's various documents that i've found so far, since i'm limited to 4 per post i'll put them in additional posts. Any body else who has found any other sites or different fluids that also are compatible please post on this thread. Thanks.

Bill R.
03-22-2007, 11:57 AM
that i've found

I would like to get some answers on the Lifetime atf fluids and in light of Mr. Graybeard and Tiger both saying they have used the Pennzoil product with no ill effects , thought i would start a thread trying to dig up as much info as possible

First off the only claims for pennzoil multi vehicle atf that i found that said it was ok for replacing various lifetime fluids was from a pennzoil dist. Johnryoung.com. Their data sheet indicated that it was ok but the pennzoil home website doesn't. They don't have a tech. hotline number to call for info only an email address and i didn't want a secretary to randomly answer my trans fluid query.

Then i searched for every body who makes any claims at all for replacements for any of the 4 special atf's that BMW or ZF specifies. Amsoil states clearly on their website that their synthetic atf is a suitable replacement for ESSO LT 71141 and the BMW 7045E but they don't mention the Shell La 2634.

Kendall versa trans is also supposed to be suitable for a replacement for all 4 of the bmw fluids. On a kendall dist. website i found this document but the same info was not on the Kendall website itself. There was a tech info hotline however and i called it this morning. The fellow that i talked to stated that yes it was a suitable replacement for these bmw fluids. But he also stated that if it was still under warranty he would stick with the manufacturers specs to avoid any potential argument from the manufacturer that you used a fluid that wasn't approved by them. He also said that if it was off warranty he wouldn't hesistate to use it and that they had tested the fluid in all the applications that specified special fluids with no problems. Here's various documents that i've found so far, since i'm limited to 4 per post i'll put them in additional posts. Any body else who has found any other sites or different fluids that also are compatible please post on this thread. Thanks.

Bill R.
03-22-2007, 12:01 PM
as well

that i've found

Kalevera
03-22-2007, 05:46 PM
The only sliver of info I have to add to this is that the fellow who teaches the ZF tech sessions for BIMRS, who incidentally is down Winfred's way, runs some kind of regular old Dex III ATF in his E34 540. He apparently converts them to regular ATF, with no ill effect, after rebuilding them.

Looks like the Kendall product is a good alternative, but it could just be their marketing department hunting for new revenue :)

BigKriss
03-22-2007, 08:17 PM
This post is interesting; how can one fluid be compatible with two different fluids at the same time; for example the Kendall fluid is compatible with dexron 3 and the esso LT71141 fluid. I'm assuming the ingredients of these two fluids are different; so how can the Kendall fluid work with both without problems.

In Australia I'm quoted roughly aud$330 for 20L of the esso fluid and aud$170 for 4L of it.

Tiger
03-22-2007, 09:41 PM
If you look at Pennzoil website... without going into the data sheet. It said suitable for all BMW with an asterisk... the asterisk said except BMW 6 speed tranny as found in 7 series.

http://www.pennzoil.com/products/trans_fluids/mv_atf.html

That is consistent with that data sheet you found.

Bob in San Jose
03-23-2007, 12:48 AM
Bill,

I have been using Redline D4 in my 540 since 80,000 miles, now at 120,000, with no issues.
I went to it when I was getting "Trans Program" messages and was looking for an alternative to the Shell recommended fluid at $30+ per liter.

At the time I replaced the filter and fixed a small leak so Idon't know if one or all of these fixed the "Trans Prog" problem but I haven't seen one since.

Bob

BillionPa
03-23-2007, 01:37 AM
D4 is the bomb diggity!

just remember to replace it at least every 50K miles (30K is my interval due to my driving style)

Bill R.
03-23-2007, 09:25 AM
Quaker state which is the same product as pennzoil multivehicle atf and also some stuff from valvoline

Bill R.
03-23-2007, 09:28 AM
more

Bill R.
03-23-2007, 09:36 AM
able to determine if its actually correct that is ... is that esso 71141 is esso's
designation for conventional dexron fluid type III , the most commonly used fluid of all automatic trans fluids. The designation LT71141 stands for LifeTime and has a greater amount of additives package in it to last for a lifetime supposedly. I've found a number of sites that state something along this line. But i don't know if its true or not. My knowledge of this subject is lacking , thats why rooting around in my spare time.

This post is interesting; how can one fluid be compatible with two different fluids at the same time; for example the Kendall fluid is compatible with dexron 3 and the esso LT71141 fluid. I'm assuming the ingredients of these two fluids are different; so how can the Kendall fluid work with both without problems.

In Australia I'm quoted roughly aud$330 for 20L of the esso fluid and aud$170 for 4L of it.

Tiger
03-23-2007, 10:16 AM
WOW... Statement from Valvoline... that further confirms their product is compatible with BMW fluids... and they stand behind it. I was going to put Maxlife in my tranny but can't find it locally. I remembered seeing their Maxlife sheet that said compatible with LA2634... Pennzoil was so much easier to find, so I went with Pennzoil.

Interesting German Quaker State version... they said synthetic... I thought it was semi-synthetic. Nevertheless, it said compatible.

Tiger
03-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Wow... even better.

Bill R.
03-23-2007, 12:16 PM
updated letter from Valvoline stating the same thing on the max life and some more charts for it. Also the Castrol website is one of the few that states right on their site that the import multi vehicle fluid is a suitable replacement for LA 2634 and Esso LT 71141.... So the choices appear to be getting more and more. But so far Kendall Versan trans is the only one that appears to be compatible with the 4 most common fluids hard to get fluids used in Bmw
LA 2634 Esso LT 71141 Texaco ETL 7045E and 8072B, since my wife's e46
has the ZF steptronic in it, I'll probably go with the Castrol or the Valvoline ATF's since those are the most common around here and reasonably priced as well.

A few minutes ago i also called the valvoline tech line to add to the number of tech lines i've called. The oil tech guy that i talked to here stated that:
Yes, even though its not currently listed on the website Maxlife atf is a suitable substitute for LA 2634 and LT71141, he seemed familiar with the products that i mentioned. I asked him for documentation to that effect and if it was posted on the web anywhere, he said he was holding the documentation in his hand and could fax it to me. I don't have a fax though, since i now do virtually everything over the web.

Here the Castrol website page and some valvoline info thats more current.

Tiger
03-23-2007, 02:02 PM
Whoa... seems like everyone is stating their stuff is compatible... That's amazing as compared to 5 or 6 years ago... only Pennzoil/Quaker State (same company) and Valvoline Maxlife said is compatible... Redline over the email stated their product is also compatible... Don't remember about Amsoil.

This is amazing. Great job BillR!

rob101
03-23-2007, 05:54 PM
awesome :D these helps alot of people out with other 5 speed autos, like for example the 300ce-24 which i keep drooling over.

genphreak
03-24-2007, 12:27 AM
awesome :D these helps alot of people out with other 5 speed autos, like for example the 300ce-24 which i keep drooling over.Guys Guys guys, I've been saying for years;

ZF RECCOMMEND Castrol synthethic Transmax.

Big K and I have had great results with it...

Kriss was the first to find and use. I later found the ZF chart that recommended it in particular for the ZF4 and 5HP22 trannies, basically anything filled with Dexron II at birth.

:) Nick

If I can get a moment I will find it and post it up for y'all so see- for some time all I could get was 'use of antyhing else is not reccommended' (for good reasons I suspect- there are a lot of **very** wide and vague claims about suitability in all kinds of applcations made by lubricant people out there

BigKriss
03-24-2007, 08:30 AM
thats for normal transmission fluid though. not the lifetime stuff.

Guys Guys guys, I've been saying for years;

ZF RECCOMMEND Castrol synthethic Transmax.

Big K and I have had great results with it...

Kriss was the first to find and use. I later found the ZF chart that recommended it in particular for the ZF4 and 5HP22 trannies, basically anything filled with Dexron II at birth.

:) Nick

If I can get a moment I will find it and post it up for y'all so see- for some time all I could get was 'use of antyhing else is not reccommended' (for good reasons I suspect- there are a lot of **very** wide and vague claims about suitability in all kinds of applcations made by lubricant people out there

Bill R.
03-24-2007, 11:22 PM
castrol fluids bottles yet , but the closest autozone does.. They now have
a multivehicle ATF for Imports for 3.99 and they have a domestic vehicle multivehicle ATF for 3.19..... I bought some of the castrol import multivehicle today. Here's what the bottle looks like and it states clearly on the back , Recommended for vehicles that require LA 2634 and LT 71141.....