PDA

View Full Version : cylinder head questions

hillclimber
03-20-2007, 09:42 PM
I have a 1989 735 that blew a head gasket. I got the head back from the machine shop and I do not know if I should use a oversize head gasket.
On this particluar engine, will the valves hit if it is shaved too much. What is too much. I can still see 3 of the 4 dimples. I think he took off .016 to get it straight. Can I use the old head bolt. Also is this engine called the M30
thanks

shogun
03-20-2007, 10:55 PM
If you do not get an answer here from the members of the 5 series, which is more frequented,
ask here, there are the E32 drivers
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/e32/page/0

AllGo'n'Show
03-23-2007, 02:40 AM
Anytime anyone I know who has doen a headgasket, they have always replaced all the headbolts with brand new ones. ARP is a well recommended brand for headbolts.

Reason? When your torque them *make sure their tourqed in the right order* they stretch a little, when they have been on the car for 10 years, they have stretched alot and will not tourqe the same the second time around. I know a couple people who have done headgaskets and just reused them and head up doing another headgasket within a few months, not fun.

I'm not too sure about the oversized headgasket, subscribed for that answer though.