PDA

View Full Version : Potenza G009 tires- opinions?

Russell
03-10-2007, 05:48 PM
I want to replace my Turanza LS-H tires. I find that Bridgestone will not make the Turanza in 225x60x15 any longer. Declining market. They recommended the Potenza.

My priorites are excellent wet weather all season traction, long wear and smooth comfortable ride. This is a daily commute car. TIA

Michael999
03-10-2007, 07:38 PM
I use Pirrelli P6000, they have fantastic grip even when its soaking wet, ive had them since 70% tread about 8months ago when i got the car, and i wear them pretty hard, and now they are down to about 40% i think.

Michael999
03-10-2007, 07:38 PM
I use Pirrelli P6000, they have fantastic grip even when its soaking wet, ive had them since 70% tread about 8months ago when i got the car, and i wear them pretty hard, and now they are down to about 40% i think.

Ross
03-11-2007, 12:48 PM
I love 'em. $74 @ Tire Rack. I was going to finally break down and buy dedicated snows for the first time in my life as the GF drives the car and was more accustomed to front drive in snow. The 009s are new so tread depth has a lot to do with it but I decided the snows weren't needed, in fact I've waxed about the cars winter driving in other posts.
I bought them as a midline tire expecting only marginal bad weather performance but have been pleasantly surprised.
I don't push this car so as far as ultimate roadholding I couldn't tell you much. They are quiet enough and good in the wet. About 12k on 'em now and still happy.

mzarifkar
03-13-2007, 08:08 AM
Ive been running potenza G009's for over a year and i am more than happy with them.

Ive used them in everythign from scorchin arizona dessert to 3 colorado snowstorms and been pleased in all sitiations

Performance in wet is good, in fact, your car will become dirtier because it sprays up more water.

Hal
03-13-2007, 09:12 AM
I replaced a set of 225/60/15 dBS2's with G009's a week ago. I don't have that many miles on them, but they seem pretty adequate for my needs. I don't push the car very hard, and the weather around here is not very challenging, so they seem to be fine.

I notice some noise from the M+S treads that might be greater than from a pure summer tire, but not objectionable from my standpoint. I think I prefer the AVID V4's on my other wagon, but these are not made in 225/60/15, and no, I have no interest in going to lower profile tires.

Hal

1994 530iT 163,000 mi Nikasil powered
1999 528iT 93,000 mi non-Nikasil powered

KenB
03-13-2007, 01:57 PM
I have around 60k on mine and no complaints, still about 20% tread left, getting a little noisy lately at 80+mph, 150 mile a day, all kinds of weather lately...snow, ice, sleet, 10F last week, 70F degrees today. I have rotated them front to back every 5-10k miles and the wear is even on all of them.

GoldenEagleFan
03-13-2007, 04:07 PM
Started out with a set on our Cadillac Catera, now on our second set. My wife drives this car and they seem to be great all year round for here. (here is Wisconsin) Keep in mind the Catera is rear wheel drive.

I have a set on my E34 and again, I am not overly agressive but have been very pleased with the performance. The price seems fair and you should expect them to last 40-50,000 with decent enough tread left at the end of this time, but not enough to feel comfortable using them in the winter.

Russell
03-13-2007, 05:11 PM
great comments everyone. I think I may go with them in a few months. My current tires with 50,000 still perform well in rain and have about 6.5/32 tread left. I plan to replace at around 4/32s. I understand anything less becomes skittish in the rain.

Paul in NZ
03-14-2007, 03:35 AM
4/32?? I guess 1/8th is geting low,i certainly wouldnt go much lower if you get a lot of rain and or tanding water on roads that you drive at speed..the tread depth is the only thing between you and aquaplaning

Old F4 Pilot
03-18-2007, 10:55 AM
I want to replace my Turanza LS-H tires. I find that Bridgestone will not make the Turanza in 225x60x15 any longer. Declining market. They recommended the Potenza.

My priorites are excellent wet weather all season traction, long wear and smooth comfortable ride. This is a daily commute car. TIA

I have a set on my 90, 535i, 5-speed, w/ 266K miles, Bilstein HD's & BBS factory multispokes. I also have a set of RE950 Potenza's on my 89, 525i, automatic 335K miles ALL ORIGINAL! The RE950's are one size undersized, 215-60-15. The only difference is that the speedometer is 3mph "fast" at all speeds. However, the handling differences are dramatic! There is a center rib on the 950's that separate the right & left asymetrical grooves and that stabilizes the tread in high cornering loads. The G-009's lack that rib and take getting used to to say the least. The first time that I tried to navigate the same stretch of mountain, winding roads between Tennessee & North Carolina at the same speeds with the 535i that I regularly do with the 525i, I almost got a Darlington Stripe on my passenger's side from the concrete divider wall. Thank God I'm on blood pressure medicine! I have since learned the all-out limitations of the G-009's. They are fabulous wet tires, as are the RE950's, but the 950's are a "performance tire" for wet weather whereas the G-009's are a compromise wet-weather performance tire. The cornering limits for the G-009's are considerably lower than the RE-950's. I think that this is a pretty good test since the only difference between the two cars is the engine power & tires. Both cars have the Bilstein HD's & factory wheels and similar mileages.

One other item, I regularly get about 48,000 or so miles on my RE950's before I get ready to replace them. I replace my tires when they wear down to 4/32". I drive very aggressively and mostly at speeds in excess of 85mph. Nary a week goes by that I don't bump either the rev or top speed limiters on both cars.

632 Regal
03-18-2007, 12:33 PM
I put a set of Potenza RE960AS Pole Position on the 8, need new treads for the 5er this spring and think I will get a set for that. The reviews were real good in comparison of other brands and models of tires. I like the tread pattern too, they seem to be silent on the 8 but I havent really gave them hell yet. To me noise wear and traction are all equilly inportant. The Falken 512 is a great all around cheap tire but are very noisey after 10k or so unless on smooth black top.
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/bridgestone/bs_potz_re960as_pole_ci2_l.jpg
http://www.tirerack.com/images/reviews/SurveyTabs.gif
http://www.tirerack.com/images/trans.gif
That didnt work out well at all...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE960AS+Pole+Position&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=445WR7RE960PP&fromCompare1=yes&place=7&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&minSpeedRating=V

Russell
03-18-2007, 06:28 PM
might consider them at 215x60x15 so I can keep my stock wheels. Just a liitle smaller whcih slightly affects my speedo. If I could get a set of 16 inch oe bmw wheels (no hubcentric rings) in excellent condition very cheap I could go in that direction.

Wack
03-22-2007, 06:48 PM
Russell,
Did you try Sam's Club for the Turanza's? I just "shoe'd" both my tourings with the LS-H's and I am quite happy with them. Bummer about phasing them out for this 225 / 60/15 size. Good luck ...

Russell
03-22-2007, 06:53 PM
Will not need for about 4 months. I am sure the Turanzas will be hard to find then. Also, what happens if there are none to replace a damaged tire? Even so I still may try then.

Wack
06-25-2007, 05:31 PM
What tire did you end up buying?

Russell
06-25-2007, 08:15 PM
nothing yet. The Turanza LH tires keep on wearing. Looks like at least 3 more months, possibly just before winter at this rate. I also need tires for my wife's Ford Explorer. Also just before winter. :)