PDA

View Full Version : Trans Program, HELP!!!

kenehresman
02-15-2007, 04:24 PM
Ok, have read a ton, and done some homework... I won't get into the whole story just suffice to say, I now own this one :-))

Bought code reader, and reset computer and also reset OBC

Start car and get a brake light circuit error (New switch will be here tomorrow)

Get an ocasional Oil Sensor Level error (Will fix later, Oil level is fine)

Get Trans Program, and Pulled code 36 from reader (torque converter clutch)

Brake Lining error(pads in trunk will fix later)

Trans is locked in limp mode (3rd gear only and has been since I got it 200 miles ago)

Okay so reset the computer and re-ran test. Started car, waited for trans program error and shutoff and reran codes. Now I get a 10 and 17 but no 36 but trans program is still on the computer. Reset codes and they seem to come up 10/17 about 50% of the time and every once in a while it comes up 36.

History on car is this. I bought it from eBay.... arghh!@#$%&*()

Seller says transmission was rebuilt..... fluid looks new and clean... Seller says no problems, but i guess he really meant it moved forward and reverse!!!
I suspect it has been locked in limp mode for awhile....

Pulled trans ecu and soldered some connections but overall they looked good.
disconnected and recommected 2 plugs under car and tried to reseat them... one looks a little corroded so I will clean that next....

So where do I go from here? Is it the torque converter clutch is bad? can I put a multi-meter on a couple of pins at the Trans ECU and see what line it is? Any help is appreciated.

kenehresman
02-16-2007, 12:39 PM
Ok, I found something. I downloaded the complete e32 wiring diagram and troubleshooting from
http://www.e38.org/e32/

and then I traced all the checks on what should and should not be on the pins. The TCU didn't have any 12V on pin 1, this powers all the clutches and selinoids in the trans, su I opened the TCU back up and low an behold I found a burn run on the unit that runs behind the connector solder pins. Very hard to notice and was on the component side of the board. I removed and place a small fused wire in it's place and re-installed and the relay inside the TCU Clicked when I tirned the key! then I started the card and it energized and put 12 volts down to the trans. I haven't taken it out for a spin yet because I'm waiting on a new brake light switch today, but I'm hopeful this was the problem. Now the only question is why the TCU had a burnt ruin? One weird thing happened though, my brother was going to jump the car, and by mistake he put the positive cable on the aux. relay box big POS connector....He never tried to start the car, but I wonder if that could have been a problem? It has 12V all the time so one would think not??

av8r
02-16-2007, 04:42 PM
I am having the same issues with my e34, can you give me some pointers on how to check the pinouts and verify voltages. If you can snap a pic of the suspect solder joint it would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Chris
95 530I M60 , 1975 C-172M

kenehresman
02-17-2007, 07:31 PM
All the sodler connections were fine. you need a Peake instrument code reader to get a handle on where to start... My code reader pulled a code 36. The table called code 36 a torque converter clutch problem... so I go the pinout of the TCY from e34.com and removed the kick panel, and then took the top cover off the plug so I could test pins while it was connected. According the schematics, pin 1 places 12V on all 4 selenoids inside the traning, 3 for shifting and one for overdrive (i.e. the torque converter clutch) so when I turned the key on and started the vehicle I should have had 12V and I did NOT. hence opening the TCU and located a burnt run on the circuit board. This is only one possible failure of probably hundreds to the code reader is probably critical to your self diagnostic efforts. If your going to own one of these cards, this should be standard equipment, since you will never get very far without it.

shogun
02-18-2007, 08:06 PM
There is some info on my website below on the link to europeantransmissions, it gives the measurements of the coils etc on the transmission.
Maybe that helps.
There are also repair books available on ZF transmissions.

shogun
02-18-2007, 09:52 PM
Here more
http://www.zoom-tech.com/downloads/support/tranxpages/european/ZF-5HP22-24.pdf