PDA

View Full Version : New Oil Leak

semiretired
02-15-2007, 09:58 AM
Changed my oil/filter two nights ago and yesterday noticed a few drips of oil.

I was using Mobil 1 0-40 without problems. This oil change I decided to use Lubro Moly 5W-40.

I use a MityVac 7201 so I know the drain plug is not the culprit. Im figuring the new oil is so slippery thats it easing past the seals. Haven't had time to crawl underthere to check it out.

Just pisses me off.

Has anyone out there experienced oil leakage when switching oils? Im sure as he)) not going to drain it out to have the seals replaced. Lubro Moly is darn near $7/liter. But when it's time to change it again (5000 miles) I'm going back to something not so slippery. Then if it still leaks, I'll look into the seals. How much would that set me back?

Appreciate comments in advance

ericbendler
02-15-2007, 10:21 AM
I don't know what year your talking about but I expect all of them to USE a little oil.

I guess if you are just seeing it you could degrease (free & clear of the coils, starters, etc) the engine.

Run it and spotlight the whole engine oil circuit. If you have a floodlight, now is the time to use it. Check the oil filter housing, and see if any of your hoses are expanding.