PDA

View Full Version : cool breeze from the dash

RIPN RAY
02-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Seems like i have a leak in my heater ductting. there's a cold breeze coming from behind the dash, it comes out of the slot for the steering wheel adjusting lever. it gives me cold knees! even though the heat is on hot, it still spits out cold and the flow is directly related to the fan speed.

so any ideas? i'd rip it apart but it's way to cold out.

Thanks,
RIPN

Russell
02-12-2007, 08:36 PM
I have/had the same thing. I put a piece of cardboard or tape to block the flow until this spring. I plan to check and seal any loose duct work. Some said the seal around the steering column may also be loose allowing cold air and noise. However, if your cold air flow relates to fan speed it maybe the cool air dash vents. It might help to turn the center dial between your dash vents to full warm. The air should be a bit warmer.

RIPN RAY
02-14-2007, 10:47 AM
Well it's definetly related to the fan. it doesn't change the temp with the dash vent dial, it's always cold.

I did notice a new thing though. when i shut off the fan the breeze goes away. when i turn it back on it takes a little bit for the breeze to come back, almost like a flap was opening.

any new ideas?

AutoXr
02-14-2007, 12:55 PM
Are you runing it with the center slider all the way closed? Even though each vent can be closed, I keep my dash vent slider closed because I get a little cold air leakage if it's open. It isn't designed to blow warm air. (Some additional winter testing might have made someone re-think this lame design "feature".)

RIPN RAY
02-14-2007, 06:01 PM
I'm not running with them closed, they're open.

well I'm not sure about how the rest of your dash vents work, but mine does indeed blow hot air. what i have concluded, with a thermometer, is that once the cabin temp gets up to the highest selected temp the mixing of cool air is then activated(if the dial is on cool). absolutely a great feature!

I think i have concluded that it's a leak for the rear center vents. when i open those the breeze decreases because there is less resistance. it makes sense since those only spit out cold air.

I love the climate control in these cars...i just wish i completely understood how i can get 5 different temps blowing from 2 fans! think about it:

1.the rear console: cold,
2.passenger side foot and windshield: knob selected
3.passenger side dash vent: selected temp with cool air added
4.Drivers side foot and windshield: knob selected
5.drivers side dash vent: selected temp with cool air added

AutoXr
02-15-2007, 01:05 PM
Who wants cool air mixed in with the heated air? I wanted it cooler, I could simply adjust it. When it's 20 below out, I want nice hot air blowing on my hands. I love my Touring, but my 87 VW Golf has 10 times the heater in it than my BMW.

RIPN RAY
12-08-2007, 01:57 PM
FIXED this problem today. turned out when i took out my cabin filter 3 years ago i broke the locking lever on the filter cover and it never sealed correctly. i thought it sealed ok but i guess it didn't. so air was leaking through the opening on the passenger side then the air was being forced out through the opening by my knees.

now i can't wait to see how the system works with out this leak! should be a lot better!