PDA

View Full Version : E-Brake + Is something worn in the rear end?

AngryPopTart
02-07-2007, 02:08 AM
If I'm on an incline even as steep as my driveway, which is not very steep, even putting the e-brake on about as tight as I can will still allow the car to move after I let my foot off the brake. When I stop, I hold the brake down, put it in park and put the e-brake on and then let off the brake. The other day I was on a pretty steep incline pointing nose down and did the same routine and the car shifted forward a significant amount even still. I am wondering if my e-brake is just not working and it's moving forward to where the tranny simply won't let it move or does this have something to do with worn out subframe bushings or something?

Because it made some sort of metal squeal sound when it moved forward (like a brake going metal to metal) I figured the e-brake shoes are totally worn out or something in the back is moving.

CharlesAFerg
02-07-2007, 03:04 AM
I figured the e-brake shoes are totally worn out or something in the back is moving.

You should go check ;-) and let us know. Pics?

Mine holds my car, but if I needed to stop it doesn't even slow me down lol...

GoldenOne
02-07-2007, 08:45 AM
You just have to tighten/readjust the ebrake line...if that doesnt work then yeah there is something wrong lol

ILoveMPower
02-07-2007, 08:48 AM
Yes, the slight roll forward is space before your transmission stops the car

You can adjust the e-brake

Black 535i
02-07-2007, 08:52 AM
What happened on mine was that the e-brake calipers were broken inside the rear discs and did not hold at all. Cables were fine but I replaced the rear e-brake calipers and discs for about $300.00 USD. Holds like a hungry hyena now on every surface. Make sure that your mechanic knows how to adjust the 'feel' correctly or you will just rub the caliper all day long inside the disc.

AngryPopTart
02-07-2007, 03:39 PM
WIN for amusing phrase.

Holds like a hungry hyena