PDA

View Full Version : My locks wont work!

justinp95
02-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Well, i just got out of my car and locked as usual. But i didnt hear it lock so i tried to unlock it, but no sound. Turns out it aint doing anything. And i know i have power because the window buttons are lit up, but dim when i turn the key AND this is a brand new battery. Whats the deal?

* and if it matters, my doors locked when i drove off earlier in the drive. Thats never happend before.

AND can a pop-a-lock guy open the central locking crap?

And it tried the emergency unlock thing, but that doesnt work.

Tiger
02-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Try passenger side door... turn to unlock and hold key in position and pull up door handle. Otherwise, you are going to have to open the trunk and wire up 12v to the light circuit.

justinp95
02-04-2007, 03:08 AM
Well, i already have power. The battery is not dead, infact its brand new.

justinp95
02-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Ok, So a lock guy came today and couldnt get it open because the door locks are to hard to pull up. Anyway, after he left i decided to try the emergency unlock thing again on the passenger door and then the locks opened as normal! Then i kept locking and unlocking to make sure and then it quit on me again. So i went over to the passenger side door and opened it fine. Im thinking it has something to do with the drivers side door. What is in that door that controls all the locks? Or could it be a old alarm gone bad? I saw something under the hood but it actually looks like a air horn to me. and i found a remote in the trunk that looks like a garage door opener though. For now im leaving one door open just incase. AND IM NOT DOUBLE LOCKING IT ANYMORE, but what does that do anyway?
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/8930/1000578hz0.jpg
http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/6452/1000576gq8.jpg

632 Regal
02-04-2007, 08:40 PM
that does look like some kind of horn under the hood, hook it up and see if its loud. The locks do sound like the drivers door is somehow shorting them all closed. Might want to disconnect the entire alarm and see if that helps things out some.

justinp95
02-04-2007, 09:52 PM
I dont have an alarm....I just use a key.

indierthanthou
02-04-2007, 10:18 PM
that's an oogah horn....i had one on my old dodge diplomat, makes a sound like the old model t's: AWOOOOOGAH! doesn't seem right on a bmw....like a dixie horn from dukes on a 7-series

justinp95
02-05-2007, 12:41 AM
That would be sweet, lol.

justinp95
02-13-2007, 10:01 PM
Now i have another problem! Now when i lock em they automatically unlock! WTF.

Justin-Redfive
02-13-2007, 10:54 PM
I'm interested in see what the solution is too.
I had to replace all of my door lock actuators last year because they all seized in the open position (fortunately). Even after pulling them out of the car I couldn't get them to move. Now I have the same problem as you described. The doors won't stay locked.

justinp95
02-14-2007, 12:15 AM
Haha, well i just went back out there and its working fine now.

BigTed00
02-14-2007, 10:55 AM
door locks on these guys become warped over the years

there are many threads on door locks here, and almost all of us with early models have locks with minds of thier own.

If it makes you feel better:

- 1 time out of 10 my door will unlock and then instantly relock itself

- 5 times out of 10 the drivers door lock wont unlock both others will, so I have to open the back drivers side door and pull up the pin to get into my car

the way I see it its a very livable problem for me, but we'll see if it gets worse

I'm assuming its just the drivers side door that gives you problems? Same with me

bsell
02-14-2007, 01:08 PM
door locks on these guys become warped over the years

there are many threads on door locks here, and almost all of us with early models have locks with minds of thier own.

If it makes you feel better:

- 1 time out of 10 my door will unlock and then instantly relock itself

- 5 times out of 10 the drivers door lock wont unlock both others will, so I have to open the back drivers side door and pull up the pin to get into my car

the way I see it its a very livable problem for me, but we'll see if it gets worse

I'm assuming its just the drivers side door that gives you problems? Same with me

Yeah, I get the lock, unlock, lock cycle once in a while.

I figure that the OP and you are seeing symptoms created by the wear and tear on the driver's door lock mechanism. I would run electrical checks on the driver's door actuator, looking for dirty contact symptoms or intermitent shorts due to corrosion/wear.

Justin-Redfive
02-14-2007, 10:17 PM
It can't be the door lock actuators because I replaced all of mine. It can't be the key sensor, because I have the problem when I use my alarm. And yes its inconsistent. I usually get it to lock by repeatedly locking the doors until it sticks. I've also replaced my GM.