PDA

View Full Version : Boge Shocks

Mike H
04-22-2004, 02:43 PM
Here's my silly question of the day.

Does anyone know if Boge Automatic shocks are gas or hydraulic?

I bought them a while ago and forgot what I got. I'm trying to figure out if I need to add oil to the strut housing or not. I'm thinking hydraulic because the disposal instructions that come with them mention draining the oil out of them before scrapping them.
Thanks,
Mike

Bill R.
04-22-2004, 02:51 PM
shocks period are gas nowadays... the boge automatic are a low pressure nitrogen shock I think... that said they are also hydraulic since oil is the damping that they use.. the gas is in there to prevent the oil from foaming when worked hard...

I bought them a while ago and forgot what I got. I'm trying to figure out if I need to add oil to the strut housing or not. I'm thinking hydraulic because the disposal instructions that come with them mention draining the oil out of them before scrapping them.
Thanks,
Mike

MicahO
04-22-2004, 03:29 PM
You can use it, and may be happier that you do. In a pure hydraulic shock it's there to increase heat transfer and cooling. Many have found that the oil in the housing also fills things out better, preventing some clunking soon after putting in new strut inserts.....

Thanks,
Mike