PDA

View Full Version : squealing sound at the driveshaft

grave77
01-01-2007, 03:33 PM
since I bought my car I get the squealing sound underneath and I hear it from the right, I thought it was the DME cooling fan, but the squealing sound gets louder when I drive a little faster then it remains steady until I go over 70m/h it disappears.

when the car is still cold the squeal seems to happen more often and I think it's in the middle of the car, but I can't seem to identify the sound.

any ideas?

632 Regal
01-01-2007, 04:47 PM
something rubbing the driveshaft? worn engine or trans mounts can change the position and there isnt much room for that kind of stuff.

grave77
01-01-2007, 10:16 PM
well ... that sound was before I replaced the engine and tranny, so when I did that I replaced the mounts for both, but that sound is still there, I was wondering that it might be the center bearing? cuz after the last few rain falls I drove into puddles and that sound it getting a little louder now.

632 Regal
01-02-2007, 02:30 AM
you dont have rain in Dubaiu

grave77
01-02-2007, 04:36 PM
who told ya?! we have rain and when it does it rains really heavy and takes 5 - 6days to dry the puddles ... last time I drove into 18" of water and I had no choice .. even engine pulleys sound different now ...

Mr._Graybeard
01-03-2007, 11:46 AM
I've owned two Audi 4000 quattros. On both of them the driveshaft center bearing went dry and got noisy. It produced kind of a middle pitch, warbling sound -- kind of a wail vs. a growl or a shriek. It seemed to be worst at low speeds and would stop abruptly as I went faster.

I'd have someone drive your car while you sit in the back seat with a mechanic's stethescope or suitable substitute. Once the "music" starts you can trace along the driveshaft hump with your listening gear and confirm the source.

grave77
01-03-2007, 05:11 PM
what you described is totally true, I guess I have to check this bearing, cuz if it's a wheels thingy it should change when I turn left or right, but its more noisy when I drive slow. I'll try and spray W40 and see if it goes for a while or something ... Thanks