PDA

View Full Version : How to unplug injectors on V8?

David Shealey
12-29-2006, 09:04 PM
I am going to replace the EGR valve and all intake gaskets on my 2001 740iL, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the retainer clips on the injector plugs released to "fold back" the wiring boxes as shown in the service information. I can barely see one end of most of the clips. The plugs will not release because of the clips, and darned if I see any way to get to them to release them. I cannot fathom that the clips are even there since the box containing the plugs is restrained by fasteners! If I ever get them off, the clips will be removed completely.

I have had a chronic "mixture control off idle, cyls 1-4" for some time, but have not been able to resolve it. Recently though I have replaced one coil, and new plugs, but am now having slightly rough idle, and a little grey smoke on startup. I suspect the EGR valve, but any other ideas?

winfred
12-29-2006, 10:01 PM
it's not a egr valve but a crankcase ventilation system/oil separator, don't forget to change the seal between the throttle body and intake, they are usually cracked.
the injector clips are gotten with a L shaped pick, you can see atleast one side on each injector take the pick and lift the clip out of it's groove and rock it around away from the body of the injector, this gets it unhooked from the other side, this motion usually takes me 5-10 seconds per injector so it's not a big deal, i wouldn't remove the clips as this may let moisture into the plug and could cause problems

David Shealey
12-29-2006, 11:15 PM
it's not a egr valve but a crankcase ventilation system/oil separator, don't forget to change the seal between the throttle body and intake, they are usually cracked.
the injector clips are gotten with a L shaped pick, you can see atleast one side on each injector take the pick and lift the clip out of it's groove and rock it around away from the body of the injector, this gets it unhooked from the other side, this motion usually takes me 5-10 seconds per injector so it's not a big deal, i wouldn't remove the clips as this may let moisture into the plug and could cause problems

Thanks for the quick reply! I lifted one end of three this afternoon, but there are at least two that are very difficult to see even one end of the clip. Will have to get a longer pick than I had today, and a dental mirror. I cannot see how the little wire clips are needed. They don't seal anything. When I get the boxes removed tomorrow I will better see how the plugs are attached. If the box holds them down and in place, the clips would be superflous, and nothing but a removal hinderance. If the plugs are floating in the box, then the clips would serve a purpose, but if floating, how would installing the box push them down far enough?

About the part, it kinda depends on who you talk to or what place you look it up. ETK just calls it a "Cover", a place I buy a lot of parts online from (AutohausAZ) calls it an "EGR Valve, Rear mainfold cover". Anyway what ever we want to call it we all know it is a really expensive, failure prone, PCV valve. 8>) 8>)

shogun
12-29-2006, 11:29 PM
Here are also pics
http://www.e38.org/intake/bmw740_intake.html

David Shealey
12-30-2006, 10:19 PM
Here are also pics
http://www.e38.org/intake/bmw740_intake.html

Thanks for that link! I did not do it today, got the parts now, so will start in the morning. A couple of tips there I did not know about. Most seemed relatively straight forward, except for getting those darned injector plugs off.

I am replacing the rear cover, and all intake related gaskets. Just hope I am doing this soon enough to have avoid cat contamination! I was getting smoke on start up for a few days now, plus the rough running at idle.