PDA

View Full Version : E34 Cassette partition???

CharlesAFerg
12-10-2006, 04:26 AM
I could have sworn that I have seen an E34 with a section in the center partition that had little slots for casettes, am I dreaming or is this a real part...?

I have read-
"cassette box" and "0690 Cassette Box" or "690"
http://www.bimmerinfo.com/option_codes.htm
Even a refrigerator box... "525"

I couldn't find it with the search, just carfax threads.
Hope to hear back!
.Charles

Yiorgos
12-10-2006, 04:47 AM
http://stores.ebay.com.au/eluka-com_E34-5-Series-1988-1995_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ5QQftidZ2QQtZkm

This guy might have them, although not right now. He has quite a few interesting E34 tidbits for sale from time to time.

The part might look a bit like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E30-M3-SPORT-EVO-CONSOLE-CASSETTE-HOLDER-325-318_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6763QQihZ005QQitemZ 150067046915QQrdZ1

Also for some reason a very vague bell rings about those cassette partitions -- I believe Paul in NZ might have them. Don't hold me up to my word though.

DaveVoorhis
12-10-2006, 07:14 AM
I could have sworn that I have seen an E34 with a section in the center partition that had little slots for casettes, am I dreaming or is this a real part...?
That'd be this:
http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/525i/25Apr05/p4240148.jpg

http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/525i/25Apr05/p4240149.jpg

I removed it because I put in a CD player and the lid kept flipping open by itself. Unfortunately, it left a hole in the console because it's wired with a wee light, so I had to replace the console. One of these days, I'll sell it and a shed full of other stray and mostly useless E34 bits on eBay.

E34-520iSE
12-10-2006, 07:42 AM
I had one of those too. I got rid of it cos it kept flipping up as well. So I sold it on ebay for 99p. Good riddance!

The best thing to go in there is the mini fridge.

Cheers,

Shaun

DaveVoorhis
12-10-2006, 07:45 AM
I had one of those too. I got rid of it cos it kept flipping up as well. So I sold it on ebay for 99p. Good riddance!
Good deal, because 99p is about £1.27 more than it's worth. :D

E34-520iSE
12-10-2006, 07:56 AM
HAHAHAHA! Nice one - might have been a nice little addition to any car in like 1975, but those little pop-up holder things are so easy to break. I bet they cost a small fortune when new.

Cheers,

Shaun M

attack eagle
12-10-2006, 04:42 PM

The best thing to go in there is the mini fridge.

Cheers,

Shaun

I'm actually going to go get one of those $29 mini fridges they are selling at Mervyns right now... It's only about the width of the center console/armrest, so it will fit quite nicely inbetween the two child seats... and give me somewhere to put bottles on day trips where they won't spoil or leak.

Only problem is that now I really need to fab up an extra power outlet/lighter in the rear of the console... anyone done this or is there just not enough room behind there?

Wyn
12-10-2006, 07:01 PM
I have the one that fits in the door, not sure the part #... and i haven't taken it out for some reason either. haha

Alexlind123
12-10-2006, 09:34 PM
I'm actually going to go get one of those $29 mini fridges they are selling at Mervyns right now... It's only about the width of the center console/armrest, so it will fit quite nicely inbetween the two child seats... and give me somewhere to put bottles on day trips where they won't spoil or leak.

Only problem is that now I really need to fab up an extra power outlet/lighter in the rear of the console... anyone done this or is there just not enough room behind there?

Your car doesnt have one?

attack eagle
12-10-2006, 10:45 PM
nope... just a blank plastic plate. Was that an factory option on some of them?
EDIT: Found the blank and lighter inserts on real oem. Had never even thought to look fir such a thing... THANKS A BUNCH! Saved me a bunch of fab time.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b106/AttackEagle/Copyof4.jpg

Oh and BTW those little refrigerators from mervyns? Fit like a glove on the back seat. ONly bad thing they are grey not black.

indierthanthou
12-11-2006, 05:25 PM
I could actually use one of those for a little project im working on. Does anyone have the part # for it?

CharlesAFerg
12-11-2006, 05:34 PM
Oh and BTW those little refrigerators from mervyns? Fit like a glove on the back seat. ONly bad thing they are grey not black.

I have a grey interior, which exactly are you talking about?

LunatiC
12-11-2006, 06:55 PM
Your car doesnt have one?

My car doesn't have one either.

EDIT: Found the blank and lighter inserts on real oem. Had never even thought to look fir such a thing... THANKS A BUNCH! Saved me a bunch of fab time.

The thing is though attack eagle, do you know if there are already wires in the back there for the cigarette lighter? When you go to do this little project and pop that little cover out to fit a cigarette lighter in there, can you let me know?

I much prefer to charge my phone (that always sits in the centre console cavity) from the back rather than have the ash tray out and the phone charger sticking up, and I am looking at doing something similar in the near future.

LunatiC
12-11-2006, 08:57 PM
Unfortunately, it left a hole in the console because it's wired with a wee light, so I had to replace the console.

Dave, can you tell me where the hole is? I have a hole in mine and originally thought it was because of a phone mounted by the previous owner, but I now suspect that maybe my E34 came with this cassete thing, long gone now.

attack eagle
12-11-2006, 09:21 PM
I have a grey interior, which exactly are you talking about?
mervyns is having a sale this week on some little $60 mini refrigerators... think a mini center console that holds several cans and is 12v powered.
I bought one just to give it a shot because they were 50% off.

IT's about the same width as the rear armrest, and fits perfectly for me between the two car seats. Besides I just want something that can keep a couple of already cooled bottles of formula chilled for few hours while I am out and about.

attack eagle
01-10-2007, 09:50 AM
My car doesn't have one either.

The thing is though attack eagle, do you know if there are already wires in the back there for the cigarette lighter? When you go to do this little project and pop that little cover out to fit a cigarette lighter in there, can you let me know?

luna: at first glance the wires are not in there. I'll edit and update if I find them pre installed.

repenttokyo
01-10-2007, 10:11 AM
an easy way to fix those lids snapping up is to alter or cut the spring.

DaveVoorhis
01-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Dave, can you tell me where the hole is? I have a hole in mine and originally thought it was because of a phone mounted by the previous owner, but I now suspect that maybe my E34 came with this cassete thing, long gone now.
The hole is at the back, toward the rear seats. It's a pretty big hole, too -- big enough to stick three or four fingers through it.

LunatiC
01-10-2007, 04:12 PM
luna: at first glance the wires are not in there. I'll edit and update if I find them pre installed.

Excellent, keep me posted. If tehre aren't any preinstalled wires, would you have to pull out the entire centre console to put them there?

LunatiC
01-10-2007, 04:19 PM
The hole is at the back, toward the rear seats. It's a pretty big hole, too -- big enough to stick three or four fingers through it.

Just went out to have a look at mine. I have a large hole near the back (but on the bottom bit, not on any sides) and I can just squeeze one finger in it. It also has three smaller holes in a semi-circular fashion around it, but on the front side towards the gear shifter.

So I guess this was something else then with my E34.

attack eagle
01-13-2007, 06:13 PM
Excellent, keep me posted. If there aren't any preinstalled wires, would you have to pull out the entire centre console to put them there?

OK, I ran a single red hot wire back to the battery and fused it.
I had to swap the bad autozone type 48 DL for a new type 49 DL anyway.

To do so (and also because I wanted to pull the entire alarm, mike, led, wiring, rear console piece etc in one piece for possible sale) I had to remove the screws for the rear of the console so I could lift it a bit. I also had to remove the backseat (of course) and the sills so I could fold the carpet back a bit.
Then a ground connected to the bracket itself, and done. I still need to run the illumination lead for it, but that I can do later.
IF I didn't haveto take out the alarm, I could have been done in 30 minutes.

Paul in NZ
01-13-2007, 06:39 PM
I would think they would be prewired for the lighter in the rear console(esp yours Yio...ahhh loonie :) ).....I ussually charge my phone from the rear one,it sits quite nicely in the recess at the rear of the console.I have thought of trying to put a drink holder there.I dont have any holder my console is "empty"
Doesnt the M5 have a shifter surround that has a recess?

attack eagle
01-14-2007, 12:36 AM
I would have thought so too. I found the harness and OEM element on real OEM. OUCH.

I did it for about $30 bucks all told.
Lighter itself about $8, plate about $9. I was almost out of everything, so the other 13 is for tax and for parts like heat shrink, connectors, fuses, and wire.