PDA

View Full Version : Timing cover gasket?

Jon K
11-28-2006, 09:04 PM
Hey guys - my car bleeds oil - it has for the last year +. I am building (slowly) that other engine to swap in, but I was wondering -

It looks as if its the timing cover gasket, but I can't tell very well. There is a wet oil saturated area on the front of the block, about 1" wide, right where the iron block meets the aluminum timing cover. However, it starts up high, at the head. However, I don't think the head would be leaking oil to the outside, especially since I have no coolant loss or pressurizing of the cooling system at all. So, I really think my timing cover gaskets are peacing out (i think I almost see a tab of paper stickign out, so maybe it ejected the gasket over time, I dunno).

Are these replaceable with the motor and head in the car? What about the front seal that goes around the crank shaft? Is it even worth it? Should I just deal with some leaky oil until I get my other engine done (summer)?

winfred
11-28-2006, 09:26 PM
royal pain in the ass with the head on, the only real crank seal problem is keeping the crank still while breaking the bolt loose, not a big deal just a pain

yaofeng
11-28-2006, 09:39 PM
Do it in car only if you like punishment. The timing cover is sandwiched between the sump pan and the head.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/yaofengchen/BMW_95_525i/DSC_1711-1.jpg

Jon K
11-29-2006, 12:11 AM
Yaofeng - see the chain guide? See that flat spot on the head that is externally exposed (right side in the photo) where the chain tensioner pokes out, yeah well, thats where I see the oil leaking down the block. How the hell is oil leaking "down" from all the way up there. Could the crank seal have failed and my timing cover is full of oil and junk?

yaofeng
11-29-2006, 08:20 AM
Beats me. The crank seal is in the bottom so I doubt if oil travels up even if the seal is bad. As much as I hate oil leaks, this is just too much hassle to fix I'd have to live with it until the opportune time if I were you.