PDA

View Full Version : Broken Glove Box

Bimmer Nut Ed
11-23-2006, 01:14 PM
This has been mentioned before, but I thought I'd include a pic and mention my experience.

My glove box would not open any longer. The last time I tried to open it, I heard a small snap, then working the lever just did absolutely nothing. No way to get in. Pissed me off, now what do I do. Well, as ussual, go search Bimmer.info and whola there were answers.

What I did is, I unlatched the two clamps that hinge the back of the glove box near the firewall. This gave me some room to move the box around and peer through the side of the glove box nearest the passenger door. I took a long screwdrive and placed it against the side of JL latch mechanism. I smacked it with my hand (from the side by the passenger door) and the glove box dropped like a ton of bricks. Previously I had pryed, pulled, yanked, and the box would not budge. That sucker really hangs on, damn JL latch is strong. I figured I'd just replace the whole latch, but it would not move. The Bimmer.info mentioned trick did the job. Thanks guys.

http://www.bimmer.info/ed/latch.JPG

You can see the hook thingy that broke.

Jon K
11-23-2006, 01:35 PM
Ed, this is currently how mine is! I need a latch! Whats your fix!?

632 Regal
11-23-2006, 05:08 PM
I caught mine right in time, ordered a new one and when I went to replace it I barely got it open.

winfred
11-23-2006, 05:15 PM
pretty much nothing but a new part will fix this, it's a shitty piece of pot metal and when it goes it's gone, the plastic that metal bits are mounted to breaks and can screw you too

Bimmer Nut Ed
11-23-2006, 08:34 PM
CATCH UPPER PART 1 51161849472 $14.28

from the dealer, or at least that's where I'm getting mine.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD13&mospid=47408&btnr=51_1056&hg=51&fg=30

I also need one of these:
CLAMP B6 1 07129934911 $0.28
This is the clip that holds the strap to the box. Mine flew off somewhere when I removed it. Can't find that darn thing anywhere.

Randell
11-24-2006, 01:46 AM
same thing happened to me last week when i was upgrading my stereo.. the part was cheap, $29AU from the dealer, but the damn thing still needs a good slam to stay up !

winfred
11-24-2006, 08:38 AM
pop the latches on the hinges and close the box then relatch them, this should position the box to the right spot, or take some of the **** out of the box that's holding it open :D

same thing happened to me last week when i was upgrading my stereo.. the part was cheap, $29AU from the dealer, but the damn thing still needs a good slam to stay up !