PDA

View Full Version : check out my plugs

schnell944
11-18-2006, 10:57 PM
Just pulled my plugs today, and they all look, more or less, like this one. I looked at plug reading charts on the internet to figure them out but wanted to check with experienced folks here, too. They look whiter than normal, right? or do they just need to be replaced without worry? does this one look to be done with its service life? I'm not quite sure when they have been changed last as my dad took care of that sort of thing when it was his car.

I also just found that there is a 1222 lambda control error with the stomp test recently. I couldn't find any obvious vacuum leak sources and have an O2 sensor on order. Would a faulty O2 sensor produce the (lean? rich?) condition that would manifest in a white spark plug? Any and all insight appreciated. TIA

P.S. any tricks/helpful tools to getting the O2 sensor out would be helpful, too. I tried to see if it would budge today and it didn't . I feel like it's going to be a bear to get it out. Currently have it soaking in PB blaster. I've got an O2 socket and a breaker bar, but it's still tough to get any sort of leverage.

Zackb911
11-18-2006, 11:28 PM
Try running the car at highway to bring up the temps to heat up the sensor and exhaust then carefully crawl under while its hot and use leverage(end of a wrench breaker bar etc) Sometimes a nice blunt hit with a hammer on the wrench pops it free... Or heat it up with a torch to expand the metal. And ya that plug is way too lean

schnell944
11-18-2006, 11:38 PM
can a lean condition be caused by a bad O2 sensor? I know the O2 sensor is definately due to be replaced.

I was a little thrown off by this advice on a spark plug chart I found on the 'net:
"The Spark plug to the left is what a normal plug should look like.
Grayish-tan to white in color indicates the plug is operating at the proper heat range as well as correct jetting and the cylinder is running healthy. "

colo525i
11-19-2006, 12:44 AM
Yes, o2 sensor can send the mixture lean. I'm with zackb, that plug is "white" so it is showing the engine is running lean. That advice seems strange, the plugs, if mixture and everything else is right should be a sort of coffee tan color, maybe a little darker.

ajt3nc
11-19-2006, 01:11 AM
Have you been running injector cleaner ?

schnell944
11-19-2006, 08:39 AM
Have you been running injector cleaner ?

No, I haven't. I should, shouldn't I? Just put a recommended dosage in with a full tank? Any one brand you feel is better?

Zackb911
11-19-2006, 09:07 AM
Injector cleaner is nice but not the cause of your troubles.. throw some techron in there everynow and then if you dont run premium gas. Anyway a vacum leak could also cause that also, how has your idle been? When a car isnt running in the right a/f ratio spark plugs and o2 sensors will go quicker. So swap out the o2, plugs, and check for any vacuum leaks, then reinspect your plugs in a couple hundred miles

Zackb911
11-19-2006, 09:10 AM
Did you order the sensor from Bruno @ racingking.ca? he has some good prices on them ~$50? or something I got one a couple weeks ago from him.

schnell944
11-19-2006, 11:01 AM
Thanks Zack. The car idles fine. Always put premium in it since I have the BavAuto chip. And, yes, I snagged an O2 sensor from Bruno, taking advantage of that wonderful deal!

I had noticed a drop in gas milage, which first prompted me to do the stomp test and pull the plugs.