PDA

View Full Version : Retrofitting for Navigation & Bluetooth

jlkirk
11-06-2006, 01:32 PM
I am looking at either a 2005 or 2006 525. Neither of the cars has navigation or bluetooth. Is it possible to have those installed?
Thanks,
Jeff

Denton
11-06-2006, 01:43 PM
Yes. A highline car audio place would be the place to ask.

jlkirk
11-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Yes. A highline car audio place would be the place to ask.
Thanks, Denton. Do you have any recommendations?

Denton
11-06-2006, 01:59 PM
Thanks, Denton. Do you have any recommendations?

Not off the top of my head.

Dad had Bluetooth retrofitted at the stealership and it cost and arm and a leg.

Not sure where you live, but find a reputable car audio place in your city. Not Best Buy, Circuit city, etc. I'm talking about places that have new Porsches and BMWs in the bays.

jlkirk
11-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Not off the top of my head.

Dad had Bluetooth retrofitted at the stealership and it cost and arm and a leg.

Not sure where you live, but find a reputable car audio place in your city. Not Best Buy, Circuit city, etc. I'm talking about places that have new Porsches and BMWs in the bays.

Thanks again!

Tiger
11-06-2006, 07:56 PM
If you are thinking of updating the car with factory navigation system, you need to see if you like BMW navigation system. Not all are same. New MB does not allow you to select specific address... which is stupid... who wants a navigation system that makes you find your place? Toyota system is a bit difficult to use and crappy ziggy line roads. Acura system is pretty nice... Older navigation system is just plain stupid.

If you are thinking of aftermarket one... Garmin Nuvis 660 is the best with all the features you wanted. You can go one step down on the Nuvis line with about half the price.

gmannino
11-06-2006, 07:59 PM
PM sent

jlkirk
11-07-2006, 10:47 AM
If you are thinking of updating the car with factory navigation system, you need to see if you like BMW navigation system. Not all are same. New MB does not allow you to select specific address... which is stupid... who wants a navigation system that makes you find your place? Toyota system is a bit difficult to use and crappy ziggy line roads. Acura system is pretty nice... Older navigation system is just plain stupid.

If you are thinking of aftermarket one... Garmin Nuvis 660 is the best with all the features you wanted. You can go one step down on the Nuvis line with about half the price.

Thanks, Tiger. Can you think of a navi system that will use the "screen" I already have in my car, and a bluetooth option that will utilize the steering wheel controls?
Thanks,
Jeff

gmannino
11-07-2006, 05:47 PM
Steering wheel controls cannot be intergrated into. You will have to look into buying factory BMW bluetooth and navigation. Aftermarket solutions will not work for you. You might find a aftermarket navigation that will integrating into your factory screen but highly unlikely. Bluetooth, no.

bmviz
02-06-2007, 04:31 PM
Steering wheel controls cannot be intergrated into. You will have to look into buying factory BMW bluetooth and navigation. Aftermarket solutions will not work for you. You might find a aftermarket navigation that will integrating into your factory screen but highly unlikely. Bluetooth, no.

Parrot Bluetooth car kits can integrate to original radio and Steering wheel controls using the adaptor from this Web site:

http://www.connects2auto.com/9.html

Voice dialling, answering & ending calls & adjusting volume can all be done without taking your hands off the steering wheel.

Easy installation - plug-and-play.

dennyg
02-06-2007, 11:47 PM
If you are going to buy a car this new why would you not go for the 530? I have a 2003 525 and wish I had bought the bigger six. Twenty five more horses and same economy. Sorry its a little off topic

indierthanthou
02-07-2007, 05:46 AM
because he wants a 525

rreimund
02-08-2007, 10:13 PM
If you're looking to upgrade an E39 or newer and retrofit Nav and/or Bluetooth - check out these guys:

http://www.bimmernav.com/