PDA

View Full Version : oh computer guys, mine is pissing me off

winfred
11-05-2006, 09:10 PM
i am trying to install a new western digital sata 2 250 gig to my onboard sata equipped asus k8vse deluxe mobo and the ****ing drive won't show up, i even unplugged my regular ide drive and booted up from the win2k (my os) disc in a attempt to format the drive (or anything) and it won't see the drive ether, the motherboard seems to see it on boot and will let me view the onboard raid crap and drive id stuff, that's the only place you would even know that another hard drive is attached, it won't show up in the bios ether (i know about the scsi naming thing too, not a option listed) and of coarse the drive utility disc doesn't see anything but my current ide boot drive, why is my **** always retarded?!

632 Regal
11-05-2006, 09:20 PM
I used western digitals setup software, probably wont do a thing with sata systems and crap.

winfred
11-05-2006, 09:27 PM
doesn't see the drive, i went to the web site and downloaded a fresh copy and it don't work ether, the bastard doesn't even run properly, when i click on the part where it gives you browser based instructions it takes a **** and kicks up a error box

spyrot1
11-05-2006, 09:28 PM
You'll probably need a win2k driver for it to work. Download it and copy it a floppy, then when you install win2k press "f6" when it asks you to install to a differnet hdd location.

Better yet, upgrade to XP. It should have the drivers built in.

If the motherboard doesn't see the drive, then the drive may be bad or the motherboard needs a BIOS update to see it.

ryan roopnarine
11-05-2006, 09:39 PM
here is via's sata driver
http://members.webleit.com/sonik/index.php?dir=templates/&file=SlipVIASata.rar

install this.
move the sata to any other sata plug.
put this onto a floppy or cd. during boot, hit f6, and offer it the driver on the floppy.

tell us what happens afterward.

winfred
11-05-2006, 09:44 PM
whats the correct way to burn that to a cd?

here is via's sata driver
http://members.webleit.com/sonik/index.php?dir=templates/&file=SlipVIASata.rar

install this.
move the sata to any other sata plug.
put this onto a floppy or cd. during boot, hit f6, and offer it the driver on the floppy.

tell us what happens afterward.

BillionPa
11-05-2006, 09:55 PM
your SATA ports are on the Promise RAID controller.

the promise driver is required by the OS in order to detect it. you can use another computer to merge the promise driver into the OS driver package, or add a 3rd party upon os installation.

if your OS is already installed, then device manager should see the controller if its enabled in the bios, and let you update its driver. then the drive should show up.

Yiorgos
11-05-2006, 10:00 PM
Ack, hate the Promise controller! My dad's old motherboard had it for UltraDMA133 and it sucked hardcore. Always a hassle with installing Windows XP -- yes you will need Promise drivers for installing Windows XP as well if you have this type of controller.

winfred you could try any of the solutions above, but if you're gonna do this often and you want a less painful experience (and have cash to spare), I suggest you find a better mobo to purchase and use.

Fred Tyler
11-05-2006, 10:01 PM
Hi, I hope you have this sorted by now, but in case you haven't I would ask that you open control panel,
administrative tools, computer management, disk management, (often times at this stage windows will offer to install new disk) your new disk should appear in the bottem right side of that screen, clip on the disk and create new partition. once thats done you will need to format drive. You might also note that drive letters can be changed here as well , with the exemption of partition that holds o/s.
regards

winfred
11-05-2006, 10:05 PM
tried it already not there, absent, missing....

Hi, I hope you have this sorted by now, but in case you haven't I would ask that you open control panel,
administrative tools, computer management, disk management, (often times at this stage windows will offer to install new disk) your new disk should appear in the bottem right side of that screen, clip on the disk and create new partition. once thats done you will need to format drive. You might also note that drive letters can be changed here as well , with the exemption of partition that holds o/s.
regards

ryan roopnarine
11-05-2006, 10:17 PM
i'll be honest with you, i don't burn cd bootables unless i absolutely have to. i'll figure it out in 3-5 minutes and post a response. alls i know is that you'd have the same issue with xp, and windows 2000 is not for fruits, unlike windows xp.

ryan roopnarine
11-05-2006, 10:27 PM
here are some drawn out instructions

get the image from here: http://www.thetechguide.com/win2kbootcd/

and use the windows xp instructions for exactly the same problem you mention here to burn the cd with whatever program you have (the settings for burning the cd are the meat of what you are trying to emulate)
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic16866.html

and integrate the files i provided you a link to earlier.
i'm going to reboot my w2k box right now and make sure that you can do what i told you to do.

i know its quite unclear, please post with any questions you have. the others here will probably be able to help you faster, as i abhor having to make bootable cds.

winfred
11-05-2006, 10:30 PM
i have a floppy drive but i only bought it cause it was like $5 and filled a hole in the case :D i was looking at the mobo diagram and noticed i have 4 sata ports so i moved it from the one marked primary to the one marked sata one and it's still the amazing drive that's not there. yea i was trying to just skip xp altogether and move to the next os, but cock master gates can't get it the **** on the market so i can wait a year or so for some of the bugs to get worked out and buy a copy

i'll be honest with you, i don't burn cd bootables unless i absolutely have to. i'll figure it out in 3-5 minutes and post a response. alls i know is that you'd have the same issue with xp, and windows 2000 is not for fruits, unlike windows xp.

winfred
11-05-2006, 10:44 PM
the dude in the 18th post has almost exactly the same computer i built cept i used a 80 gig wd ide and a thermaltake 420 watt ps, still reading up on it, my copy of nero can make a bootable cd

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic16866.html

GJPinAU
11-05-2006, 10:44 PM
Like the old joke mate.
"Hey dad, YOU bought the volvo"

You bought the PC.

Macs rule!!
(now watch me get flamed)LOL

winfred
11-05-2006, 10:46 PM
i use to do mac's, then osX came out and the i started hating it

Like the old joke mate.

You bought the PC.

Macs rule!!

ryan roopnarine
11-05-2006, 10:49 PM
im seeing on the internets that you have to turn on the raid support on your mobo for sata to work, even though its not necessarily raid. trying to find you the no-longer existing driver to do this with.

winfred
11-05-2006, 10:59 PM
i installed whatever raid stuff that was on my mobo's cd and nothing changed, i just checked add/remove hardwear again and since i changed sata ports i have a raid controller listed, going to reboot and try a few things

im seeing on the internets that you have to turn on the raid support on your mobo for sata to work, even though its not necessarily raid. trying to find you the no-longer existing driver to do this with.

ryan roopnarine
11-05-2006, 11:06 PM
jackassery....finally
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

the driver is the windows 2000 one.

here is another way of getting it to work. it looks like there are two ways to get it to work, depending on the chipset. one involves dicking with the sata aspect, as shown in the earlier message board post. the other involves the raid, as shown here.

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:28tcd906vEMJ:www.experts-exchange.com/Storage/Q_20958442.html+Asus+K8VSE+and+sata+windows+2000&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=2
they are alleging here that you don't even have to burn a bootable cd to fix it in this manner, so long as you have the (above) raid driver. i'd try this first.

ps....the first experts exchange link has the answer to the question "blocked out" until you register. found the google cache with the answer, and posted it above.

winfred
11-05-2006, 11:28 PM
working on it, ****ing floppys suck, dug around and found one left from my mac days and forgot how goddamn long it takes to format one, doesn't take that long to burn a full cd

632 Regal
11-05-2006, 11:50 PM
do "quick format" the other is plain useless

Yiorgos
11-05-2006, 11:55 PM
Like the old joke mate.

You bought the PC.

Macs rule!!

You're right, Macs do rule :) Haven't touched a Windows machine in a couple of years now, my PC just sits here next to me collecting dust.

I should sell it one day... but it's a custom built PC, and I doubt I'd get much for it.

winfred
11-06-2006, 12:12 AM
****ing ****, bitch still doesn't show up anywhere, giving up for the night only been dicking with it for about 5 hours now

Jon K
11-06-2006, 12:27 AM
Winfred - hold the drive in your hand with the power and SATA connected - do you feel/hear the drive spool up? I've received DOA drives before.

azale
11-06-2006, 12:34 AM
i am trying to install a new western digital sata 2 250 gig to my onboard sata equipped asus k8vse deluxe mobo and the ****ing drive won't show up, i even unplugged my regular ide drive and booted up from the win2k (my os) disc in a attempt to format the drive (or anything) and it won't see the drive ether, the motherboard seems to see it on boot and will let me view the onboard raid crap and drive id stuff, that's the only place you would even know that another hard drive is attached, it won't show up in the bios ether (i know about the scsi naming thing too, not a option listed) and of coarse the drive utility disc doesn't see anything but my current ide boot drive, why is my **** always retarded?!

250 gigs? How much p0rn do you need??

The board and windows should see that HD. If the drive shows up in boot but not in bios . . . uh, that sounds whack. I just had one that showed up in bios but not in windows. It's sitting in pile downstairs now.

I would call ASUS if I were you. They are a great company and if you bought the board yourself it probably came with a 3 yr warranty. I've returned a mobo after 2.5 yrs of use for a blown capacitor and didn't have to pay a penny for the repair. I don't know if I can say the same for Western Digital, but they'd be next on my hitlist.

BillionPa
11-06-2006, 01:11 AM
SATA drives generally dont show up in the BIOS, as the raid controller BIOS handles that.

BigTed00
11-06-2006, 02:30 AM
throw your pc out of the window

works for me

winfred
11-06-2006, 08:58 AM
it spools and when connected to the raid controler (the first port i plugged into) i can look at the drive and play with raid info if i ctrl-F pre boot which is the only place the drive is visible, but since i switched to the (supposedly) correct port that's gone, from the crap i've read about it's probably going to be a bios/driver problem, common?! problem with this board :( maybe it wants me to buy 3 more drives and build a array, i need that like i need a sore cock :D

Winfred - hold the drive in your hand with the power and SATA connected - do you feel/hear the drive spool up? I've received DOA drives before.

winfred
11-06-2006, 09:02 AM
well all of it, but seriously try finding a fast drive that's much smaller, you pay about the same thing for one half the size, guess ill stop deleteing the files when i decode/burn a movie

250 gigs? How much p0rn do you need??.

Jon K
11-06-2006, 09:06 AM
Winfred, FWIW, my mother had GREAT issues with her Promise onboard controller - we bought a PCI card to control the SATA RAID - they are cheap. I know that's not what you want to hear, but we've had a bunch of issues with onboard SATA/RAID controllers in the past.

ryan roopnarine
11-06-2006, 09:07 AM
the thing is like usb support in windows 95. people say it isn't worth the frustration to get it to work, but it is possible (and supposed) to happen.

Alpinewhite
11-06-2006, 09:15 AM
Hi Winfred,

I think the raid controller bios & driver are hiding the drive. You can disable the raid configuration in the main BIOS. Go to the Main bios (press F2 or DEL) and there should be a place where you can configure the IDE controllers

SATA controller has three modes of operation

1. IDE mode - no AHCI, no RAID
2. SATA mode (sometimes called AHCI mode) - AHCI enabled, no RAID
3. RAID mode - AHCI enabled, RAID enabled

I think yours is in (3) Raid mode. Ideal place is to put it in (2) SATA mode / AHCI mode. Try (1) only if (2) does not work

Let me know what happens.

Hope this helps
Arun

ryan roopnarine
11-06-2006, 11:15 AM
damn, the adaptors are cheap, though

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=A-IDE2SATA-20330&cpc=SCH

11.99+8~$20 if you get really stuck.

then again, i've never had a computer hardware problem that i haven't been able to fix with drivers (unless the thing is physically broken). any adaptor you buy isn't going to have the greatest driver support in the world (unless you buy something expensive), so you might just end up buying something that won't even work on your computer.

winfred
11-06-2006, 12:46 PM
ill check it out when i get home tonight, i am sure it's a solvable problem as others have gotten them to work, like i said why is my **** always retarded

Jon K
11-06-2006, 12:48 PM
like i said why is my **** always retarded

it's probably your diet

winfred
11-06-2006, 12:57 PM
meat cheese and taters with the occaisional green thing :D

it's probably your diet

Alpinewhite
11-07-2006, 12:27 PM
ill check it out when i get home tonight, i am sure it's a solvable problem as others have gotten them to work, like i said why is my **** always retarded

Any luck after changing the BIOS settings?
Arun

winfred
11-07-2006, 12:46 PM
nope dicked with it several hours last night and the drive is still invisable, still researching

Any luck after changing the BIOS settings?
Arun

nhoj007
11-07-2006, 04:37 PM

You must install either the VIA or Promise RAID controller depending on which SATA controller on the MB you used. 1 & 2 use VIA, 3&4 use the Promise Raid controller. If you use the Promise control you must then setup an array of Raid 0+1 striped (even if using only one drive).
Once you do that and are in Windows go to the Disk Manager and enable the drive.

winfred
11-07-2006, 09:35 PM
woohoo it's up and running, nothing last night seemed to get any good reaction so tonight i switched the drive back to the primary port from one tweeked a few things, reinstalled a driver again and be damned if the bastard didn't show up, and the WD disc utility cloned my ide drive to the new hotness and here we are, thank god i can get my ****ing desk back
http://members.cox.net/kitlou/messy.jpg
thanks to all that helped

ThoreauHD
11-08-2006, 12:09 AM
You are running software RAID, and you need to install the RAID software so the OS can read/format it. There is also a jumper on that motherboard the enables/disables RAID. If you install the driver for your motherboard RAID and it still cannot see it after a reboot, look at the motherboard and manual. There will be a 2 pin jumper that you need to move to make either a disconnect or connect. It will also be in the manual.

winfred
11-08-2006, 12:20 AM
i think i see why everybody had so much problems with this series of boards, it came down to a combo of bios updates and software updates not just one fix, and that still didn't get the other two sata ports working, but i don't care the raid ports seem to be working good now (mobo has two pair), even with just one drive attached

You are running software RAID, and you need to install the RAID software so the OS can read/format it. There is also a jumper on that motherboard the enables/disables RAID. If you install the driver for your motherboard RAID and it still cannot see it after a reboot, look at the motherboard and manual. There will be a 2 pin jumper that you need to move to make either a disconnect or connect. It will also be in the manual.

ryan roopnarine
11-08-2006, 09:24 AM
good

i don't understand most computer hardware problems (for me) boil down to installing a driver multiple times.