PDA

View Full Version : Pulled fuel pump today. 2.6 ohms. Good or bad?

Felixdacat
11-05-2006, 02:29 PM
I have been having problems with my car not starting. I didn't have spark, but now I do. Replaced coil, and that solved this problem. Fuel pump not working either. Replaced relay, and not the problem. Pulled the pump today, and ohmed it out. 2.6 ohms. Good or bad. did a search, and came up with nothing. Anybody know what the ohms are? 89 535i M30
Thanks......Felix

DaveVoorhis
11-05-2006, 02:39 PM
Hook it up to a 12 volt supply. If it pumps, it works.

Felixdacat
11-05-2006, 03:15 PM
That I will do. I was going to do this anyway, but just wanted to know the details. I think it would be good to know. Thanks Dave.
Felix

Claude
11-05-2006, 03:58 PM
I have been having problems with my car not starting. I didn't have spark, but now I do. Replaced coil, and that solved this problem. Fuel pump not working either. Replaced relay, and not the problem. Pulled the pump today, and ohmed it out. 2.6 ohms. Good or bad. did a search, and came up with nothing. Anybody know what the ohms are? 89 535i M30
Thanks......Felix

The Bentley manual do not give the fuel pump resistance but they say that the pump may drain a max of 5 amps (the fuse is an 7.5 amps). As per Ohm law V=R x I or R=V/I where V=12 volts and Imax=5 amps, that give 12/5=2.4 ohms which is very close to the 2.6 ohms you measured. So i would bet that your pump motor is OK.

Felixdacat
11-05-2006, 05:27 PM
Thanks Claude. I forgot about ohms law. Silly me. I deal with ohms law everyday. I feel like a tool now:p
Felix