PDA

View Full Version : Blow Me!

Flamin'Cow
11-04-2006, 12:03 PM
Dear All,

Those of you farmiliar with the endless series of issues surrounding my '89
535i SE will be pleased to hear that she is now starting okay. When last I wrote she was giving it "ticka-ticka-ticka-ticka" in rapid succession each time I tried to start - even with a new Battery! AND kept on displaying an 'OIL PRESSURE SENSOR + OIL LEVEL SENSOR' warning.... Well, the next morning she started fine, first time and has started since then with no problems - without any warning messages too - which is nice - maybe it was just cos it was a new battery or something? - weird tho - I dind't charge it, but maybe the nights rest gave the battery a chance to 'recover'. Anyhoo, I'm off to Amsterdam next weekend for a few days (lucky me) - hopefully the car will behave itself....

This, in turn, brings me to my next issue.

Some of you might remember that a while back my blower motor was engaging whenever the ignition was turned on - despite the A/C system being turned 'OFF' and all the fans on 'OFF'.

For those of you NOT farmiliar with my set-up, heres a quick piccy......

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c392/flamincow/P1010001-1.jpg

I was kindly advised by some of the more 'learned' members that is was probably the 'Sword' in the control module that had shorted or something....well that was July and due to me not needing a heater (the A/C needs re-gassing for cold and its the old type - hey if you are hot open a window!) I decided just to pull fuse No.19 - which (temporarily) solved the problem.

However, Winter is officially here and I didn't fancy driving to 'Dam without heat, but by the same token, I don't want to drive there with the heat on ALL THE TIME - having to pull over onto the hard-shoulder and remove the aforementioned fuse each time I wish to turn the heater off.

So about 20 minutes ago I decided it was "high" time I rectify this 'little' issue and so set about removing the 'offending' control unit in order to test it......

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c392/flamincow/P1010002.jpg

I also took the time to remove the head-unit to see if there were any exposed wires that might be causing a 'short' in the heater control.

You can imagine my surprise when, having removed all of the above, the blowers STILL ENGAGED when the ignition was turned on!

I can safely say therefore, that the control unit is not at fault and that obviously a more sinister cause is to blame.

My request is simply this; What's it likely to be then?

To confirm the symptoms:

- The Blowers engage when the ignition is turned 'ON' - even when all the settings are on 'OFF'.

- The Blowers do NOT come on when I remove fuse No.19 (Blower-Motor)

- When the control module is inserted, the blowers come on full-force for a few seconds after turning on the ignition and then slowly fade away in volume - I guess - as the little vents close - but still they remain on.

- With the control unit removed, the blowers come on FULL-FORCE and remain on FULL-FORCE, blowing (unfortunately) only air as hot as the engine - which is a pain in the arse on a long run, as you end up with 3rd degree burns on your legs (or face if you leave the other vents on).

Your help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards

FLAMINCOW (B.S.E.)

winfred
11-04-2006, 01:41 PM
it could still be the sword if you haven't unplugged that yet, it has a 5 pin green plug and is stuck into the hvac box near the firewall, on us cars it's on the right side